How to sell products on Amazon Australia
Find out how you can profit from one of the world’s biggest online retailers.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
The Amazon Marketplace gives you a way to get your products in front of everyone shopping on Amazon Australia, but there's a bit that goes into this platform. This guide will take you through how to sell products on the Marketplace and what else you need to know to decide if it's right for your business.
What's in this guide?
- How does selling on Amazon Australia work?
- Who can sell products on Amazon Australia?
- What can I sell?
- How do I price my products?
- How much will Amazon Australia charge me to sell?
- How do I organise shipping?
- How do I market my products?
- Is selling on Amazon Australia worth it?
- How do I start selling?
- Compare e-commerce platforms
- How to get paid by international buyers
- Watch: How to become a successful online seller
- Frequently asked questions
How does selling on Amazon Australia work?
The Amazon Marketplace is a platform that allows third-party sellers to sell their products through Amazon. Sales through Amazon's Marketplace represent 50% of all items sold on Amazon's websites globally.
Sellers are responsible for setting their own price points, writing product descriptions and their own branding. A lot of Amazon retailer sales depend on where your item appears in product searches, so getting this right is extremely important. In terms of costs, you'll also need to pay a monthly subscription fee and commission to sell your products.
Who can sell products on Amazon Australia?
There are no specific criteria, but you will need to have the following information to be able to sign up to a seller account:
- Business name, address and contact information
- A credit card that can be charged internationally and that has a valid billing address
- Your phone number
- Your tax identity information
When you sign up, an Amazon representative will contact you on the phone number you provide to complete the process.
What can I sell?
Businesses in Australia can sell products more than 20 product categories, including the following:
- Home and home improvement
- Kitchen and dining
- Movies and TV
- Stationary and office products
- Toys and games
- Clothing and shoes
- Computers and electronics
How do I price my products?
There are message boards and blogs dedicated to the subtle art that is pricing Amazon products. Chatting with other sellers on these forums can be quite useful when setting your prices, as is reading about existing sellers' experiences and successes using the Amazon platform.
Here are some factors to keep in mind when determining your price points:
- What are your costs and fees? It costs money to sell on Amazon (this is explained in more detail below) so take this into account when setting your prices. Also consider customer return fees and your own returns-related costs, such as product write-offs.
- Competition. What are your competitor’s price points? Check Amazon’s overseas sites as well until it launches in Australia.
- Flexibility. Selling on Amazon requires price flexibility. Your prices should change depending on where your product is ranking in Amazon’s search results and in response to other sellers changing their prices.
How much will Amazon Australia charge me to sell?
Amazon Australia has the following cost structure for its Marketplace:
- A $49.95 monthly subscription fee to list products on Amazon.com.au.
- A 6-15% commission fee off the top of any sales generated through the Marketplace. This fee will be determined by the type of product you’re selling.
How do I organise shipping?
As a seller, you need to organise shipping yourself. If you're handling your own shipping you should keep an eye on your inventory so you can provide accurate information about stock levels to buyers. It's also important to check orders daily so you can have orders shipped out on time as per your shipping and fulfilment policies.
Amazon also offers an optional shipping service, Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA). This essentially allows sellers to store and dispatch their goods through Amazon's warehouses. By using FBA your customers will get free shipping on eligible orders and Prime members will receive two-day shipping. FBA is also pay-as-you-go so you're charged for the storage space and orders Amazon fills.
How do I market my products?
There are multiple ways to market your products on Amazon Australia. These include through marketing, social media, branding and optimising your products listings. Amazon uses a marketplace search engine to rank products and it considers various factors in product listings to do this. Do research to find out the best way to present your product features, price, features, availability and sales history to rank well in Amazon search.
Is selling on Amazon Australia worth it?
There are a number of online retail giants available for you to sell products on, eBay being one of the most notable examples already available in Australia. The main things you should consider when deciding if Amazon is right for you is the product you’re selling, the audience you’re trying to target and how the cost structure will affect your profits.
However, keep in mind that there are many factors that will affect your success and there's no guarantee you'll make a profit. Try to lessen this risk by doing things like market research and analysing what strategies your competitors are using.
How do I start selling?
- Go to Amazon's seller hub and click "Start selling".
- Sign in to your Amazon account. You'll need to make an accocunt if you don't have one.
- Give information about your business including address and phone number. Amazon will text your number to verify you. Your business name needs to be unique and not one taken already.
- Set up your billing method. It has to be either an Amex, Visa or Mastercard.
- Add in details about what products you want to sell, like how many and what categories they fall under. You can skip this part if you're unsure.
- Your account will be set up. Keep in mind that you'll need to set up 2FA and wait for Amazon to verify your account before you can begin selling.
Compare e-commerce platforms
How to get paid by international buyers
If you're selling your products overseas and are accepting currencies other than Australian dollars, you'll need to find a worthwhile way to convert your profits back into AUD. Your options boil down to two methods:
- Foreign bank account. This involves setting up a bank account in the country your items are listed in and then transferring your money back to Australia. Setting up a foreign bank account can be a complex procedure and you'll need to be aware of the different regulations each country has. You're also likely to get a poor exchange rate when you go to convert your profits and may face high fees at both the sending and receiving banks.
- Third-party money transfer service. Several money transfer services offer online seller accounts which are aimed at those selling overseas on marketplaces like Amazon. You can get an account that can hold multiple different currencies and bank details in the country you're selling in. You'll also get better exchange rates than through your bank when it's time to transfer your money to AUD.
For more details on the exchange rates, fees and features of online sellers accounts, you can read more in our guide or check out the table below.
Watch: How to become a successful online seller
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
20% off HP ENVY Laptop 13-ba0079TX, Save $243 on the Huawei P40, 44% off Belkin Classic Pro Backpack Laptop Bag.
How to start an event photography business
From practical steps to key legal documents, here's your checklist for launching an event photography company.
Best portable fridge freezers in Australia 2021: Single Zone
There’s no shortage of cooling options when camping, working or 4WDing, but what are the best portable fridge freezers in Australia?
Best hiking tents in Australia
These are the 7 best-hiking tents you can buy right now in Australia.
Best 55-inch TVs in Australia
These are the best 55-inch TVs you can buy right now in Australia.
Best ice cream multipack brands in Australia
Here are the five best ice cream multipack brands in Australia according to consumers.
Best frozen vegetable brands in Australia
These are the five best frozen vegetables brands in Australia, as chosen by consumers.
Best multivitamin brands in Australia
These are the five best multivitamin brands in Australia chosen by consumers.
Best rum in Australia
These are the 6 best rums you can buy right now in Australia.
Best nut milk and plant-based milk brands in Australia
Here are the five best nut milk and plant-based milk brands in Australia, as chosen by consumers.
Ask an Expert