15% off every car, everyday
August is the heart of winter and calls for action filled snow escapes and cosy romantic getaways.
Even if you're not a fan of the cold there are hot destinations around the country that can warm you up and see you through the worst of it.
1. Best family-friendly destination: Gold Coast
Soak up that sunshine and let the kids loose in the local theme parks.
The school holidays might be over but if you're searching for a local break that won't take up more than a weekend, the Gold Coast is where it's at. From blissful beaches to amusement parks to cater to any age and interest, this one's a no brainer really.
- August weather: 20–23℃, winter
- Best for: Beaches, short breaks, theme parks
- Things to do: Hike Lamington National Park, watch Australian Outback Spectacular's Heartland show and go on a fishing expedition.
2. Best for sun: Darwin
The sun shines brighty in the NT over winter.
This is one for the sun worshippers, the adventure seekers and those looking for a more remote getaway. Darwin is the gateway to action-packed outdoor adventures. Spend a day (or 2, or 3) in Kakadu, Nitmulik National Park (Katherine Gorge)and Litchfield National Parks. Or, hop over to the Tiwi Islands to learn about this rich Aboriginal community.
- August weather: 32–35℃, winter/dry season
- Best for: Outback adventure and culture
- Things to do: Tour the land by airboat, fly over Litchfield National Park and have a close encounter with a croc at Crocosaurus Cove.
3. Best for romance: Hamilton Island
Like heaven on earth.
Hamilton Island is a paradise off the coast of Queensland. On it you'll discover soft sand beaches, endless ocean views, top notch seafood and romantic bungalows. A boat ride away is the Great Barrier Reef and Whitehaven Beach which has been called the best beach in the world. August is an eventful one with Hamilton Island Race week drawing in a crowd. If that's not your style avoid 15-22 August for relaxation unparalleled.
- August weather: 22–25℃, winter
- Best for: Couples and families
- Things to do: For the ultimate show take a seaplane ride over the Great Barrier Reef and Whitehaven, snorkel the Great Barrier Reef and spend time blissing out on Whitehaven Beach.
4. Best budget destination: Byron Bay
The sun's still up and shining in this coastal town.
A popular destination for hipsters, hippies and beach bums over summer, Byron gets quiet in August making it a steal for budget vacations. The weather's not too bad either, running in the low 20s. It's not hot enough for sunbaking but if you've got a board you can still hit the surf. Otherwise there's a sleepy town to unwind in and coastal walks to get stuck into.
- August weather: 20℃, winter
- Best for: Water sports and relaxation
- Things to do: Surfing, whale watching and horseriding.
5. Best for snow: Snowy Mountains
Snow season is in full swing, so you'd better catch that powder while it's fresh.
Perisher and Jindabyne in the Snowy Mountains are 2 of the most accessible snow resorts in New South Wales. July to August is peak season, so while prices may still be high, you have a greater chance of nabbing that precious powder.
As the school holidays have ended by August, you'll find the crowds thinning.
- August weather: 7-13℃, winter
- Best for: Snow sports, apres ski
- Things to do: Ski or snowboard and check out the Winter Dinner Series.
6. Best for events: Melbourne
Enough festivals and musicals to tide you over until summer.
Melbourne takes centre stage as the hub to gravitate towards in August for culture, festivals and celebration.
More than a handful of events occur throughout the city in August/September including White Night, Melbourne International Film Festival and Melbourne Writers Festival.
Whatever your artistic interests, they're bound to be met in Melbourne this month.
- August weather: 14–18℃, winter
- Best for: Culture, arts and entertainment
- Things to do: Tour the Great Ocean Road, visit SEA LIFE Melbourne Aquarium and have high tea on the Yarra.
Search for your August getaway
Top August events
- Truffle Festival: Winter is the truffle festival season in Australia's Canberra Region. It's a time filled with truffle-tastic events including truffle hunting and truffle-inspired meals in outstanding restaurants.
- Hamilton Island Race Week: August is peak season on Hamilton Island for 1 reason: Race Week. It's a regatta that sees competitiors the world over line the island's shores to sail for the glory.
- Sydney Science Festival: Clue yourself into the latest as leading experts, academics and researchers take to the stage in talks, workshops and symposiums. Free and ticketed events available.
When's the best time in August to take a holiday?
For Australians, August is one of the quietest travel months of the year and is a great time to holiday on the cheap whichever dates you choose. This is because the winter school holidays have come to a close and there is only one public holiday in the month across the nation, which is Picnic Day in Northern Territory.
However, prices do surge at ski resorts as August is peak snow season.
To avoid inflated prices and crowds to these locations, travel during the week or closer to the end of the month when the season starts to wind down.
Latest travel deals
More guides on Finder
Best places to visit in October in Australia and overseas
Our top 7 Australian destinations to visit in the middle of spring, plus some international inspiration.
Best places to visit in December for Australians
It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas in these delectable destinations.
8 best places to visit in September for Australians
Where to go around the nation to catch spring's first blooms, whales migrating and sun-kissed beaches in September.
Cruises from Melbourne to Tasmania
See the untouched beauty of Australia with cruises to Tasmania from Melbourne.
28 sites that will let you book travel with Afterpay
Book experiences, hotels, flights and tours now and pay later.
Overseas trips you can make over a long weekend (that you probably didn’t know you could)
We’re not as remote as you might think we are. Here are 8 destinations you can fly to from Australia in under 4 hours to prove it.
The latest money-saving travel news from Australia and around the world. Includes flight sales, travel disruptions, frequent flyer updates and more.
11 of the best ways to score a flight upgrade
See how the other half live without paying for it. Check out these tips on how to get an upgrade for less on your next flight.
Thistle promo offers and deals
Thistle is a UK-based company with a portfolio of 31 hotels operating in the three- and four-star categories with discount codes right here.
Ask an Expert