Keep your young ones entertained with these school holidays activities in Melbourne.
Need to fill almost six weeks’ worth of school holidays with activities your kids won’t find boring?
We’ve got a whole host of child-friendly ideas for every kind of youngster, from animal lovers and chocoholics to adventurers and thrill seekers.
When are school holidays in Melbourne?
6 iconic Melbourne things to do with kids
- See an AFL game at the Melbourne Cricket Ground
- View Melbourne from 88 storeys above the ground at the Eureka Skydeck
- Meet cuddly koalas and kangaroos during a visit to Melbourne Zoo
- Have a picnic in the Royal Botanic Gardens Melbourne
- Check out tropical fish and local sea creatures at the Melbourne SEA LIFE Aquarium
- Take a ride in a distinctive horse drawn carriage
9 ways to keep your kids busy during school holidays in Melbourne
School holiday events in Melbourne
- Spend Christmas in the city with its myriad of activities and experiences including light projections, openair Christmas parties, Christmas windows and carols. Until 25 December. Various locations.
- Discover your inner fashionista at the Atelier: Viktor&Rolf for kids exhibition. Learn to make haute couture and present your collection in a runway show. 13 December - 26 February. National Gallery of Victoria, 180 St Kilda Rd, 3006
- Catch a play by the Australian Shakespeare Company or partake in its Holiday Drama Workshops. Suitable for ages 8-17. 9-21 January. Australian Shakespeare Company, Level 3, 188 Collins Street, Melbourne VIC 3000
- Hone your inner pirate at the Summer Pirate Playground. 16 January - 26 February 2017. Harbour Town Melbourne,
Melbourne VIC 3008
- Cool your jets at the Fed Square's giant waterslide. It's 75 metres of slip 'n' slide fun. 4-15 January. Federation Square, Corner of Swanston & Flinders Streets, Melbourne VIC 3000
- Cultivate in them a love of music at the Music Play Children's Festival. 11-14 January 2017. Melbourne Recital Centre, 31 Sturt Street, Southbank VIC 3006
- Drool over the masterfully created Gingerbread Village by Epicure. Now in its sixth year! 1-24 December. Melbourne Town Hall, 90-130 Swanston Street Melbourne VIC 3000
- Move like Jackson with the Michael Jackson Tribute Workshop. Geared toward kids 5-12 years old, kids will learn the prince of pop's signature moves. 24 January 2017. City Library, 253 Flinders Lane, Melbourne VIC 3000
6 free school holiday activities Melbourne
- Join the park rangers of the City of Melbourne and Wurundjeri Elder Uncle Bill as they travel through Royal Park exploring and learning about the seasonal changes over the course of a year. 11-18 January 2017. Australian Native Gardens, 1 Gatehouse Street , Parkville VIC 3052
- Climb to the top of the rock climbing wall at Harbour Town during school holidays
- Join a kids craft workshop at the Dandenong Markets on Tuesdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays
- Play around at the interactive displays at the Australian Centre for the Moving Image (ACMI)
- Browse the stalls at the historic Queen Victoria Market and learn how to create food and art as part of the market's school holidays program
- Get creative at one of the city' libraries. Each offers various events such as crafting classes and hip hop dance video productions. Various dates.
Looking for discounts on activities and attractions in Melbourne? Check out these coupon codes and discounts:
Show code & visit siteEX****After the store tab opens, come back to copy the code
Save up to 70% on local deals
Shop for dining experiences, attractions and more for up to 70% off.