Best places to visit in December for Australians
From sun-kissed beaches to white winters, these are the top December escapes.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Update on Australian summer destinations
Due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, most events across Australia will be cancelled, even those a few months in advance.
If an announcement has been made, we'll update this page with any updated dates or note if the 2020 event has been cancelled.
December presents with so many travel opportunities it's difficult to choose the best destination to escape to and relax during the silly season.
We've got your choices for you whatever you preference.
1. Best budget destination: Adelaide
The city of churches comes into its own in December.
Adelaide basks in the heat of summer during December with sprawling markets, summer festivals and Christmas cheer in the air. As it does get quite balmy during December it's not peak season keeping prices low and making it one of the most budget-friendly options for travellers this month.
According to Skyscanner, flights in December start from $82 return (from Melbourne). This price was retrieved on 26 November 2020 making it one of the cheapest domestic flights to book at the moment.
- December weather: 23-31℃
- Top December events: Christmas markets, Semaphore Summer Twilight Markets and Civic Park Carols.
- Best for: Culture, parks.
2. Best for events: Sydney
Many call it the best New Year's Eve fireworks in the world.
Sydney for New Year's is THE BEST. We’re not exaggerating. Millions of punters from around the world gather on the foreshore to witness the fireworks light up the sky at midnight in one of the most impressive pyrotechnical displays in the world.
Yes, this year the punters will be at bay. But you can still celebrate in the CBD at approved events, hotels and a mate's place.
Or, you can meet up with friends and family and watch the fireworks from home.
- December weather: 23ºC-28℃
- Top December events: Christmas markets, New Year’s Eve parties and the Sydney to Hobart yacht race.
- Best for: Parties, events, weekend getaways.
3. Best surprise destination: Antarctica
Play with penguins on a polar expedition south.
No one can say they've travelled the world if they haven't made it south and ticked Antarctica off their bucket lists. You can only explore the region during summer from November to March as its too dangerous during winter.
Expeditions are by cruise. These depart from South America and Tasmania and during December you can expect warm and bright days (relative to other months) and if you're lucky can spy whales, elephant seals and penguins.
As expeditions may not be running this year, another alternative is to take a scenic flight over the icebergs with these private Antarctica flights. The next one departs from Melbourne on 31 December 2020 making it an incredible end-of-year gift.
- December weather: -16℃ to -25°C
- Top December events: Tail-end of elephant seal mating season, penguin chicks about to hatch
- Best for: Adventure, nature
4. Best city to visit: Melbourne
Melbourne, it's been way too long.
After what's felt like an endless lockdown for Victorians, the borders are quickly being broken down making it a city to visit. It could be to reconnect with friends and family, it could simply be because we're pining for a good cup of coffee.
Whatever the case, December is a great time to visit the state for its warm weather and warmer welcomes.
- December weather: 24℃
- Top December events: Disney+ Drive-In, Merry Christmas Windows at Bourke Street Mall, Christmas Projectins, Festive Food Truck Stop at Queen Vic Market, Melbuorne Music Week, Christmas Square and Melbourne City Christmas Treasure Hunt.
- Best for: Food, shopping and coffee.
5. Best for beaches: Gold Coast
Because we can't think of anywhere better to hail the sunshine than the Sunshine State.
When December comes around you can bet your bottom dollar that bums will be making a dash for the beach. And while Australia has more than its fare share, we think it's fair to say that Queensland has some of the nation's best.
Whether you choose the Whitsundays, the Gold Coast or the Sunshine State, you're practically guaranteed to get a top dose of Vitamin D.
- December weather: 28ºC
- Top December events: White Christmas at Warn Bros. Movie World, 2020 Mayor's Virtual Christmas Carols, Gold Coast Multicultural Festival and New Year's Eve parties.
- Best for: Beaches, relaxation, families.
Follow the festival: Top December events to attend
- Christmas markets: An event that needs no introduction, Christmas cheer is rife in all corners of the world. Decorations line the streets and Christmas markets take over main plazas in cities across Europe and are scattered in other destinations across the globe. As Christmas is a Christian celebration, non-Christian countries may not celebrate it.
- New Year’s Eve: From parties to fireworks displays, New Year’s Eve farewells the year just past and welcomes the new year ahead. Most countries celebrate it with parties and fireworks displays.
- Northern lights: Somewhere between November and February every year, punters hunt these colourful lights as they dance in the northern night sky up to the Arctic Circle. Popular countries to visit them include Finland, Norway and Iceland. Activity is dependent on the weather but if lady luck is with you, you’ll catch this awe-inspiring phenomenon in all its glory.
When is the best time in December to take a holiday?
December is peak season throughout the world as it's the biggest holiday period of the year. There are a number of ways to avoid crowds and peak prices, this includes travelling at the beginning of the month before the holiday season truly kicks in.
Alternatively, you may want to spend your Christmas or New Year’s somewhere special. If this is the case and you’re looking to avoid overpaying, book your trip early as prices generally increase closer to Christmas.
The best of the rest
Australians can't go overseas this December due to the international travel ban. However, there are loads of international destinations that thrive in December. So consider this a wishlist of destinations to consider for your 2021 December trip.
Best places to visit in Asia in December
- Cambodia. Rain showers are very rare, humidity is almost zero and temperatures are at their most comfortable. December in Cambodia is that sweet spot where you can explore temples in comfort and still sunbathe by the coast.
- The Philippines. One of the few Asian countries that celebrates Christmas with gusto, you'll get to get to take part in all the festivities including the Giant Lantern Festival in Pampanga.
- Vietnam. The weather has dried out and seaside vacations are a go, especially in the south where islands like Phu Quoc and Con Dao are ideal at this time of year.
Best places to visit in Europe in December
- Germany. When you think of Europe in December, chances are that Christmas markets are at the top of your list and Germany is undoubtedly the king of Christmas markets. Sample traditional foods and sip on mulled wine as you peruse the picturesque wooden stalls.
- Budapest, Hungary. This eclectic city seems made for winter with its lively ruin bars, thermal baths, Christmas markets and even an outdoor ice rink to really immerse yourself in the vibe of the city.
- Tallinn, Estonia. Looking for a bargain European getaway? Take yourself to Old Town Tallinn for a winter escape with a medieval feel. You'll be able to eat, drink and be merry for a fraction of the cost of its neighbours in the west.
Best places to visit in India in December
- Rajasthan. Experience the vibrant culture of the Pink City, a desert safari in Jaisalmer or the lakeside palaces in Udaipur. Rajasthan is ideal in December. While nights can get quite chilly, daytime temperatures are much more comfortable for sightseeing than any other time of the year.
- Uttarakhand. Known as the "home of the gods", here you'll find the holiest rivers in India, fascinating history, exotic wildlife, challenging treks and Rishikesh, the yoga capital of the world.
- Kerala. Whether you're after a beach getaway, keen to explore the state's backwaters or interested in taking a peek at a tea plantation or two, this southern state packs a punch and sightseeing is ideal in the winter months.
Best places to visit in Canada in December
- Quebec City. For a romantic European feel complete with history, snow, lights, great shopping and Christmas markets, look no further than Quebec City. Stay for New Year's Eve and be prepared for one of the biggest spectacles in Canada.
- Banff. Ski season is in full swing here and those looking for adventure can fill their days with dog sledding, cross-country skiing and ice skating on a frozen lake. Keen for some downtime? Unwind at one of the many hot springs and spas.
- Niagara-on-the-Lake. Here you'll get a month packed full of events thanks to the Winter Festival of Lights. Sample some world-famous ice wine against the jaw-dropping backdrop of the mighty waterfalls covered in ice formations.
Best places to visit in Italy in December
- Rome and Vatican City. As you can imagine, Christmas in Italy is a big deal, and for many, seeing Christmas mass at St Peter's Basilica is a lifelong dream. Even if the church thing is not for you, the city is filled with events, markets and nativity scenes.
- The Amalfi Coast. Popular tourist sights like Pompeii and Herculaneum are free from the usual crowds and the city's streets, all decked out in fairy lights reflected on the water at sunset, create a magical atmosphere.
- Cervinia. Snow bunnies looking for some guaranteed snowfall in December should head straight to Cervinia. 160km of pistes with lift access to the slopes of Zermatt in Switzerland brings the count up to an impressive 360km.
Best places to visit in the USA in December
- Stowe. Embrace the season with this winter getaway that has everything from snowboarding and alpine skiing to dog sledding and ice fishing.
- Aspen. While NYC is known for its big showy events, the 12 Days of Aspen has a lot to offer. Highlights include ice skating, concerts and a breathtaking firework spectacular over the snow-covered Rocky Mountains for New Year's Eve.
- Puerto Rico. If you'd rather escape the cold, then head south and then south some more. Spend time on one of Puerto Rico's many beautiful beaches and sample some of the local cuisine at the annual Festival del Macabeo.
Best places to visit in Switzerland in December
- Basel. What's Europe in December without a Christmas market? Basel Christmas Market is one of the best, and walking through the well-preserved Old Town, indulging in local treats and shopping up a storm can't be beat.
- Bernina Express. This is one of the most beautiful train journeys in Europe and one of only a handful in the world that has been marked a UNESCO World Heritage site. Feast your eyes on the region in all its glory as you snake your way through ancient glaciers, crystal clear lakes, alpine towns and snow-capped peaks.
- Zurich. Whether you're up for braving the annual 111-metre teeth-chattering swim across the Limmat river, walking through the magical Christmas markets or partying the night away on New Year's Eve, Zurich is the place to be.
Best places to visit in Thailand in December
- Phuket. Sure, it's popular, but for very good reason, and December in Phuket is ideal if you're after great weather conditions for swimming and beach hopping.
- Ko Chang. On the flip side, if you're ready to get away from it all, then make a beeline for the Andaman Coast where you can stay in a bamboo bungalow, swim in gentle waters and eat local Thai food every day.
- Wonderfruit Festival, Pattaya. Thailand's biggest arts and music festival combines Asian and western cultures with performances and wide-ranging workshops.
- NSW Dine and Discover vouchers extended: Best ways to use yours now
- The 5 best Flight Centre EOFY travel deals
- Virgin Australia announces free flights competition for vaccinated Aussies
- 5 ways to maximise your $200 Luxury Escapes COVID-19 vouchers
- Sydney Solstice Festival 2021: 10 unmissable things to do
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 7 best deals in Australia today
Today's best online deals include: 75% off deluxe massage chairs, 45% off mini wildlife cameras, 64% off BBQ Grill Charcoal Smokers.
Philips Premium Airfryer XXL (HD9630/21) review: An absolute behemoth of an air fryer
Philips' largest air fryer is big enough for the whole family and it’s so easy to use, a child could do it (with supervision of course).
A guide to using the Loopring Decentralised Exchange
Learn how to save on Ethereum gas fees by using the Loopring decentralised exchange, and earn money as a liquidity provider.
Review: Celsius Network cryptocurrency lending and borrowing platform
An in-depth review of one of the most popular lending and interest earning platforms in cryptocurrency.
Nexo review: Is it safe for high interest returns?
Nexo is a cryptocurrency lending and borrowing platform that offers high interest rates on cryptocurrencies, stablecoins and fiat. We review the features available and look at how safe your funds would be on the platform.
KVD Beauty ModCon Liquid-Gel Blush review
This unique and lightweight blush formulation feels like a second skin.
How to stake Cardano (ADA)
Earn interest on idle ADA tokens by staking within the Cardano blockchain.
How to stake Synthetix (SNX)
Learn how to stake Synthetix (SNX) tokens and earn rewards by providing collateral for the Synthetix exchange.
How to stake Chainlink (LINK)
Learn how to stake Chainlink (LINK) tokens and earn rewards through exchanges, lending services and node operation on the Chainlink network.
AscendEX (BitMax) Cryptocurrency Exchange Review
A complete review of the AscendEX exchange, covering trading and DeFi features, associated fees, regulation and security. Is AscendEX right for you?
Ask an Expert