The iPhone XS advances Apple's flagship smartphone line with better water resistance, a faster processor and an enhanced dual-lens camera.
Get the new iPhone XS 256GB for just $97.19/month over 36 months from Vodafone deals
Apple's position in the premium market space has always been one of offering premium products at high prices, typically launching (at most) two new phones in a given year. In 2017, Apple flipped that script and launched three phones in the form of the iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus and the iPhone X. In 2018, it continued that trend with 3 new models unveiled at Apple's iPhone launch event on 13 September.
- 5.8-inch OLED screen with Super Retina HD display.
- IP68 water and dust resistance.
- Dual 12MP camera array with wide-angle and telephoto lenses.
- Neural engine promises better image processing.
- A12 Bionic processor promises up to 50% better graphics performance and 15% better app performance.
- Supports gigabit network speeds.
- Don't expect big jumps in battery capacity.
- Qi wireless charging support.
- Apple is sticking to what it knows best.
- Prices are very premium.
Pricing and availability
- Pre-orders for the iPhone XS go live on 14 September 2018, with handsets available from 21 September 2018.
- Pricing ranges from $1,629 for the 64GB model to $2,199 for the 512GB model.
Apple's dominance in the premium space means that it'll have phones available on contract terms from the major carriers from day one. While some makers, such as Google offer their handsets up to single carriers, that's never happened here in Australia with any iPhone model.
As such, we can expect pre-order plan pricing to arrive from Telstra, Vodafone and Optus at the same time as Apple opens up its pre-orders for the new devices. As always, we'll have a full analysis of plan pricing and your best options once carriers announce availability.
Apple iPhone XS
Apple's most advanced smartphone
The iPhone XS is Apple's vision of what the future of smartphones looks like. Get yours today.
|Display size (inches)||5.8|
|Display resolution (pixels)||2436x1125|
|Pixels per inch (PPI)||458|
|Processor||Apple A12 Bionic|
|Battery size (mAh)|
|Rear camera (1) resolution||12|
|Rear camera (1) aperture|
|Rear camera (2) resolution||12|
|Rear camera (2) aperture|
|Rear camera (3) resolution|
|Rear camera (3) aperture|
|Front camera (1) resolution||7|
|Front camera (1) aperture||2.2|
|Front camera (2) resolution|
|Front camera (2) aperture|
|Network category speed||Category 16|
Latest Apple iPhone X news
Are you better off buying an iPhone XS outright and pairing it up with a SIM or signing up for a two-year contract? Read more…
Optus has revealed its competitive plan pricing for the brand-new iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max. Read more…
Telstra has announced its contract pricing for the brand-new iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max. Read more…