Apple iPhone XS Max review: Plans | Pricing | Specs
Apple's iPhone XS Max has the biggest screen, biggest battery and fastest processor that Apple has put into an iPhone.
1242 x 2688px
64GB, 256GB, 512GB
12MP + 12MP
Finder rated as Good vs similar phones
Power, storage and battery
|Launch price (RRP)||$1,799|
- Apple A12 Bionic beats all comers
- Dual cameras work well
- iOS 12 is a joy to use
- Still no expandable storage
- The removal of a headphone adaptor in the box feels cheap.
- Apple charges too much for higher storage variants
- Battery life is better, but it's still well below the industry's best.
Apple's "S" year phones typically emphasise performance over new style points or markedly new features, and it's very clear with the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max that this is exactly what Apple has done this year.
They new phones are the iPhone X on a dose of steroids, with improved performance, upgraded camera features and new size formats, but the way Apple has not-so-subtly crept up the prices for handsets is a serious issue that any smartphone buyer will have to resolve before buying.
- It's the iPhone X, but bigger
- More antenna points around the body
- Slippery, which is scary on a phone this pricey
- Smart HDR gives pleasing image results
- A very guided camera experience
- Video stabilisation is excellent
- Apple's A12 Bionic is the processor that other processors fear
- Lacks split screen or a key reason for such a large display.
- IP68 water resistance, but no change to official Apple warranty
- Gigabit LTE, but not the fastest
- Technically Dual SIM, but not in Australia
- No expandable memory (again), and higher storage choices are expensive.
- Best battery life on an iPhone to date
- Wired or wireless charging
- Still lags behind premium Android phones for battery life
I'm genuinely torn on the iPhone XS Max. It's Apple's best iPhone to date, it has the best processor in the industry, the camera is good and iOS is easy to use.
It's also very slippery, the battery life doesn't come close to the benchmark of the best Android handsets and, of course, it's super expensive.
Pricing and availability
Compare Apple iPhone XS Max plans
Apple iPhone XS Max specs
Power, storage and battery
Latest Apple iPhone news
Is now a bad time to buy a new Mac, and what else did Apple announce at its WWDC 2020 keynote? Read more…
Apple's upgraded iPhone SE 2020 doesn't have great battery life, but it's otherwise an excellent option, especially for those looking to upgrade from an older iPhone. Read more…
Telstra, Vodafone & Optus have released mobile plans for the new iPhone SE 2020. We've broken down their prices and features here. Read more…