Apple's iPhone XR is probably the iPhone you should buy this year, but it's a phone full of unusual design decisions, not all of which have a positive overall impact.
What is the iPhone XR?
Apple heralded in a change of design thinking with 2017's Apple iPhone X, and in 2018, it has taken that thinking wide, especially for the colourful and slightly less expensive Apple iPhone XR.
The iPhone XR positions itself as Apple's fun, colourful and more affordable iPhone, while still retaining plenty of premium features.
The iPhone XR impresses with solid CPU performance and the best battery life of any iPhone we've tested so far. It's Apple's "lower cost" iPhone this year, but it's pretty far from being "affordable", with some notable limitations that you don't hit with the iPhone XS to take into consideration.
- Wide and pleasing range of colours.
- Aluminium frame.
- LCD display, but larger than the iPhone XS.
- No headphone jack.
- Only one offical Apple case for protection.
- Single, not dual lens.
- Portrait mode, but limited effects.
- Post shot focus adjustment works well.
- A12 Bionic still impresses, even with less RAM.
- Lower water resistance than other 2018 iPhones.
- Slower category speeds than premium iPhones.
- 3D Touch is missing.
- eSIM for dual SIM support – sort of.
- Impressive battery life compared to other iPhones.
- Apple still has to catch up to competitors for battery endurance.
- Wireless charging.
- An obvious choice for the Apple faithful.
- But Apple's redefining where it sees "entry level" pricing.
- Compromises may make the iPhone XS your better match.
Pricing and availability
- Available outright from Apple with pricing at $1,229 (64GB), $1,299 (128GB), $1,479 (256GB).
- Available even cheaper by comparing prices on the iPhone XR from Australian retailers
- Also expected availability through Telstra, Optus and Vodafone on contract.
The official announcement of the Apple iPhone XR took place in the US on 12 September 2018 at 10am, which equated out to early on 13 September here in Australia AEST. Pre-orders went live on 19 October 2018, with retail availability from 26 October 2018.
The iPhone XR is also available on contract terms from Telstra, Optus and Vodafone.
Apple iPhone XR
Apple's more affordable flagship
The iPhone XR provides Apple's latest processor and operating system in a package that's more affordably priced than the iPhone XS Max.
|Display size (inches)||6.1|
|Display resolution (pixels)||1792 x 828|
|Pixels per inch (PPI)||326|
|Battery size (mAh)||2,942|
|Rear camera (1) resolution||12|
|Rear camera (1) aperture||1.8|
|Rear camera (2) resolution|
|Rear camera (2) aperture|
|Rear camera (3) resolution|
|Rear camera (3) aperture|
|Front camera (1) resolution||7|
|Front camera (1) aperture||2.2|
|Front camera (2) resolution|
|Front camera (2) aperture|
|Network category speed||Category 12|
Latest Apple iPhone X 2018 news
How does Samsung's more affordable Galaxy S10e compare against Apple's lower-cost Apple iPhone XR? Read more…
How does Samsung's brand-new Galaxy S10 compare to the popular Apple iPhone XS? Read more…
Should you opt for the new flagship Samsung Galaxy S10+ or the premium Apple iPhone XS Max? Read more…