With 3GB of RAM, a full HD display and twin 13MP front and rear cameras, the Galaxy J7 Pro represents the pinnacle of Samsung's 2017 budget smartphone line.
Where Samsung sticks to a relatively logical naming scheme with its premium Galaxy S smartphones by increasing the number with each generation, it's taken a decidedly more confusing approach to distinguishing new models in its budget-focused Galaxy J line. Take, for example, the Samsung Galaxy J7 Pro, also known as the Galaxy J7 (2017). It's the direct successor to the Galaxy J7 (2016), which succeeded the Galaxy J7 (2015) and, well, you get the picture.
Convoluted naming conventions aside, the Galaxy J7 Pro represents the top tier of Samsung's budget-friendly smartphones released in 2017. It improves upon numerous aspects of 2016's Galaxy J7 while maintaining a relatively affordable price tag.
- 5.5-inch super AMOLED screen is now accompanied by a full HD display.
- Premium features like a fingerprint sensor, Always on Display and Samsung Pay support add plenty of value.
- Better low-light performance thanks to a larger f/1.7 aperture on the rear camera.
- A higher-resolution front-facing sensor allows for sharper selfies.
- Eight-core 1.6GHz processor is powerful enough to handle general tasks without a hitch.
- The 2016 GPU starts to show its age on the gaming front.
- Samsung pitches the included 3,600mAh battery as capable of up to 18 hours of video playback
- Sealed battery means carrying around spares is no longer possible.
Pricing and availability
Samsung Galaxy J7 Pro
Style and power that doesn't cost the world
The Galaxy J7 Pro sits at the top of Samsung's 2017 budget smartphones, delivering solid performance and plenty of features at an affordable price.
- The Samsung Galaxy J7 Pro is currently selling for around $350 at online retailers like Catch and DWI.
|Display size (inches)||5.5|
|Display resolution (pixels)||1920 x 1080|
|Pixels per inch (PPI)||401|
|Battery size (mAh)||3,600|
|Rear camera (1) resolution||13|
|Rear camera (1) aperture||f/1.7|
|Rear camera (2) resolution|
|Rear camera (2) aperture|
|Rear camera (3) resolution|
|Rear camera (3) aperture|
|Front camera (1) resolution||13|
|Front camera (1) aperture||f/1.9|
|Front camera (2) resolution|
|Front camera (2) aperture|
|Network category speed||Category 6|
Latest Samsung phone news
We help you find the best Vodafone phone on contract with our comprehensive guide to the best handsets available right now. Read more…
We help you find the best Telstra phone on contract with our comprehensive guide to the best phones you can buy right now in Australia. Read more…
The Samsung Galaxy S10+ has a great camera and good performance, but its battery stamina is a notable weak point. Read more…