Credit cards with Samsung Pay
Leave your wallet at home and save time at the register by paying with a Samsung smartphone. Find out more and compare Samsung Pay credit cards here.
Updated . What changed?
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder.
Samsung Pay is an app that allows you to make tap-and-go payments from your Samsung phone or compatible device. It is supported by many Australian banks and credit card providers – including American Express, ANZ, Citi, CommBank, NAB and Westpac.
Use this guide to learn more about Samsung Pay, including how it works and current credit cards that are compatible with this mobile payment option.
Receive up to 130,000 bonus points
75 bonus Status Credits
Offer ends 30 November 2020
Eligibility criteria, terms and conditions, fees and charges apply
NAB Credit Card Offer
Earn up to 130,000 bonus Qantas Points, take advantage of complimentary overseas travel insurance and a 24/7 concierge service.
- 75 bonus Status Credits & 100,000 bonus Qantas Points (spend $3,000 within the first 60 days) and 30,000 after 12 months
- First year annual fee of $295 ($395 p.a. thereafter)
- 19.99% p.a. purchase interest rate | 21.74% p.a. cash advance rate
- Minimum credit limit of $15,000
Comparison of Credit Cards with Samsung Pay
How does Samsung Pay work?
Samsung Pay uses NFC (Near Field Communication) and MST (Magnetic Secure Transaction) technology embedded in Samsung devices to allow you to make payments at the checkout. Instead of tapping your credit card against the payment machine, you just swipe up on your smartphone screen, authenticate the transaction using your fingerprint and tap your phone against the contactless terminal.
The phone must be within 3cm of the terminal to complete the payment. If your purchase is over $100, you can still use Samsung Pay, but you'll be required to type in your credit card's 4-digit PIN instead of using your fingerprint.
Which devices are compatible with Samsung Pay?
The app is available from the Samsung Galaxy S6 onwards, which all have the integrated NFC chip and a magnetic coil built into them. This includes the Galaxy S6, S6 Edge+, Note 5, Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 Edge.
How to install Samsung Pay
- On the Home screen, select Apps.
- Touch Samsung Pay.
- Select INSTALL to download the file.
- If there are updates to the built-in application, touch INSTALL.
- Touch OPEN to start using Samsung Pay.
How to add your card details to your Samsung Pay app
When you open the Samsung Pay app, you'll be asked to register your cards. You can register your card by scanning your physical card with Samsung Pay or manually inputting the card information. Then, depending on your bank's policies, Samsung Pay will prompt you to verify your identity through a text message or phone call. It can take up to 10 minutes for the registration to complete.
You can register up to 10 payment cards under 1 Samsung Pay account. Please note that your bank may have separate terms and conditions regarding how many cards you can register with Samsung Pay, so make sure to confirm this directly if you want to register multiple cards.
Is Samsung Pay safe to use?
Samsung Pay was designed to be just as safe, if not safer, than regular contactless card payments. Samsung Pay uses Tokenisation, a Secure Environment and Samsung KNOX to keep your payment information safe. What does this mean?
- Tokenisation. None of your personal bank information is stored on your Samsung device or the Samsung service. Instead, Samsung Pay uses Tokenisation to replace your sensitive payment information (such as the card number, expiration date, security code etc) with a device-specific token which acts as a stand-in value.
- Secure Environment. A Secure Environment, sometimes referred to as a Trusted Execution Environment, refers to the physically segregated chip in the card that only allows access to highly sensitive operations such as fingerprint and payment information. Normal applications can't access the information in a Secure Environment.
- Samsung KNOX. Samsung KNOX runs scans to determine whether or not your device is secure. Samsung KNOX can permanently disable Samsung Pay on a threatened device to protect your payment information.
In addition to these features, you can use Samsung's "Find My Mobile" service to remotely lock or wipe your device if it is lost or stolen. This ensures that no one else can use your Samsung phone for contactless payments. Please note that this means that you'll have to register your cards again if you get a new phone, as no data will be stored in the application.
If you're not with American Express, Citi and Westpac but are looking forward to using Samsung's contactless payment technology, keep checking finder for the latest information on which banks join the Samsung Pay ranks. If you don't use a Samsung device, you can use our Google Pay and Apple Pay guides to compare your options.
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best online deals in Australia, hand-picked by Finder's shopping experts.
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 Review
Its price point still means it's a luxury buy, but the second generation Samsung foldable phone improves in a huge way over the original model, making it the foldable phone to buy for 2020.
Expense claim policy templates (Australia)
Find out how you can easily set up an expensive claims policy for your company.
Food delivery in Townsville
Without ever leaving your sofa, order food for delivery in Townsville from these apps - and save money while you're at it with our deals.
Food delivery in Launceston
From pizza to noodles to curry, here's where you can order food delivery in Launceston and get discount deals, free delivery and contactless drop-off.
How to save for a house deposit while still paying rent
SPONSORED: Saving enough for a house deposit while you're paying rent is challenging, but it can be done.
Best Smart TVs in Australia
Choose the right TV to meet your streaming, free to air and picture quality needs with our roundup of the best Smart TVs for any budget
Luno cryptocurrency exchange – review
Buy bitcoin and Ethereum with selected fiat currencies through Luno’s easy-to-use platform.
Citi Rewards Card – Exclusive Offer
Take advantage of a 0% balance transfer offer for 30 months and a discounted annual fee for the first year with this exclusive Citi Rewards credit card offer.
Health Professionals Bank Credit Card
Get an introductory rate of 7.9% p.a. on purchases and balance transfers for 6 months and save with an ongoing $0 annual fee with the Health Professionals Bank Credit Card.
Ask an Expert
Credit Cards Comparison
* The credit card offers compared on this page are chosen from a range of credit cards finder.com.au has access to track details from and is not representative of all the products available in the market. Products are displayed in no particular order or ranking. The use of terms 'Best' and 'Top' are not product ratings and are subject to our disclaimer. You should consider seeking independent financial advice and consider your own personal financial circumstances when comparing cards.