Here’s how to pack for that trip when you’re going to both cold and hot climates.
When you have a limited amount of suitcase space, it's really hard to successfully pack for a trip where you'll experience both hot and cold climates. So to help all you jet-setters out there the team here at finder.com.au put together some tips plus the ultimate packing list to help you pack for you transseasonal trip. Look fashionable all the way through your trip with our styling and packing advice.
Focus on double-duty pieces
Think about the pieces of clothing you own that you wear in both summer and winter climates. Floral dresses that you can throw a jumper over. Silky camis that you can wear a turtle-neck under. And of course jeans, which work for summer nights out with a nice top or colder days with a jumper.
Make the most of your plane outfit
Winter clothes are bigger and take up more space, so wears these clothes on the plane instead of packing them. You can save yourself the space of a pair of boots, jeans and a jacket by optimising your plane outfit. Planes are cold anyway, so you’ll be glad you layered up.
Layering is key
This is the trick to making the same clothes look like completely different outfits and it keeps you warm too. Layer tights and jumpers with your dresses. Layer tees and jumpers under your camis. Layer statement scarves over your basic tops. Layering means you can have a new outfit almost every day.
Even if you’re not usually an accessories person, bring some. Adding a belt to your dress can make it look totally different to the last time your wore it. Plain tops and jumpers can be completely dressed up by a necklace.
Accessories don’t take up much room so you’re not really losing out by bringing them. Trust us, they’ll come in handy.
Don’t pack pieces you can only get one wear from
I know you’ve been dreaming about wearing that hot-to-trot jumpsuit for a beautiful photo in the caldera of Santorini but sorry, it’s not a good idea to take it. When you’re going on trip through different climates and space is at a premium, you can’t waste it on distinctive fashion items you’re only likely to wear once.
Focus on quality basics
Basics are the key to packing for a holiday. That said, no one wants to go on a glamorous trip and wear Supre singlets the whole time. So, try to bring high-quality, fashionable basics - the ones that you feel stylish wearing just by themselves.
The ultimate 2-3 week transseasonal packing list
This is a relatively basic packing list that allows you to mix and match as much as possible. If you’re going for longer than two or three weeks, you can add more items to this list. And if you’re going to be in one climate longer than the other, you can change the ratios.
Camis are a great basic for warm weather but work when it’s cold too. Loose camis can be worn over the top of the turtleneck jumper in colder climates. They can also we worn over the T-shirts for another outfit combination. Floral dresses and skirts are perfect for summer but can be worn with stockings, boots and a jumper over the top when it’s cold.
Plus, all these pieces are basics that can dressed up and changed with statement accessories. Your basic black turtleneck can look completely different when you add a statement scarf or necklace. The same goes for your cami and denim skirt combination.
- 1x black or white turtleneck jumper
- 2x jumpers (loose enough for layering)
- 2x loose cami singlets
- 2x basic T-shirts (one should be white)
- 1x heavy jacket in black (choose something appropriate for the coldest temperature you’ll experience)
- 2x pairs of jeans
- 1x denim shorts
- 2x skirts (one denim and one floral is a good combination)
- 2x floral summer dresses
- 1x cocktail dress (in case an occasion pops up)
- 1x pair flat boots
- 1x pair neutral walking flats (already worn in)
- 1x pair heels
- 1x pair neutral flat sandals
- 1x pair running shoes (optional for people that will be exercising)
- 1x belt
- 1x statement scarf (add one more if you’re going to be in cold climates most of the time)
- 5x necklaces (they take up no room so go nuts)
- 3x pairs stockings
- The Style Saver: Exclusive 40% off everything for Bendon Lingerie!
- Money Hack: Use your multiple email accounts to score more discounts
- The Style Saver: Take 25% off THE ICONIC, BNKR and Princess Polly
- Money Hack: Get shopping vouchers and discount codes on your birthday
- The Style Saver: 40% off exclusives at THE ICONIC