What trends to wear when winter strikes in 2017. We have you covered, literally.
Style lovers, winter is upon us and while most of us are probably still in denial about the departure of summer - it's the perfect chance to refresh your winter wardrobes and curate cute cold-weather outfits. Hell yes.
With every new season comes the emerging trends we spotted on the runway during fashion month and a whirl of new season stock flooding our favourite fashion sites. It's out with light playsuits and sundresses and in with knits and other feel-good fabrics.
Read on for our rundown, we promise they'll be easy breezy.
Over the knee boots.
Ok, so these were a hit last winter too, but with the follow on effect from a 70s inspired summer, now's the time to steer clear of black and try a burnt copper or cream suede for your OTK's. Style under a midi skirt and tucked in sweater for a ladylike day look or add a touch of after dark vibe by wearing an a-line mini under a longer length jacket.
Still here, still hot. A pinstripe top is an easy win that's a must-have in every woman's wardrobe, wear it to the office tucked in with wide leg pants, or cruise into your weekend brunch in skinny jeans and ankle boots. Bonus points if you double up on a pinstripe outfit. Bored with the pinstripe? Candy coloured stripes are the alternative loved by street-style stars right now.
Denim x 2.
Work the same shades of denim into a two piece ensemble. Light wash jeans and jacket worn with a white or grey top? Killer look. Hit the streets in this urban getup for ultimate cool-girl style. Throw on a neck bandana and shades for serious attitude.
The turtle neck.
Equal parts practical and stylish the turtleneck has made a come back in a big way. Perfectly paired with high waisted denim or worn with skirts - there's not much a turtleneck isn't good for. Stock up on staple colours in your wardrobe; cream, marle grey and black for easy rotations. If you aren't yet ready to pack away your summer clothes, try a turtleneck under a cute pinafore or strappy dress. Layers are your best friend.
The one colour outfit.
Think grey pants, grey top, grey jacket. Pairing ultimate neutrals together in a Kim Kardashian manner pays off. Enough said.
For a look that's chic, sophisticated and clean opt for an all white attire. The trick to this trend is mixing up the textures. Try a chunky knit atop a long silk slip or cotton-blend white culottes. Keep cosy, look cool.
It's the off-duty model look that's gaining traction. Hallelujah. Grey marle sweats and hoodies, Kendall Jenner style, are your best friend this winter. Just add a cropped moto leather jacket and aviators to polish it off. On the bottoms you can wear anything from a mini skirt, skinny jeans or double up with matching sweatpants. And sneakers.
The smaller trends:
- Reefer jackets. Channel the military look with a reefer jacket. Wear over pretty printed dresses or lace slips to soften up the look.
- Velvet. Deep midnight blues, rich reds, emerald green and black. Velvet is a winter fabric we can't get enough of. If you're looking to ease into the trend, start with a velvet choker.
- Leather culottes. They might be harder to find but these pants pack serious punch. Style with your trusty turtleneck and a cocoon coat.
- Faux-fur stole or collar. Be adventurous, try a pop of bright blue or jewel green.
The top fashion sites to shop from
Which of these retailers offer free delivery?
- Spell and the Gypsy Collective: Free worldwide delivery
- Princess Polly: Free express shipping when you spend over $50
- Beginning Boutique: Free express shipping to Australian address for orders above $50
- ASOS: Free standard delivery when you spend above $40 and free express shipping on orders above $125
- Showpo: Free shipping to Australia and New Zealand for all orders above $50
- THE ICONIC: Free next day delivery for all orders over $50
- Mura: Free shipping worldwide for all orders above $100
- Glue Store: Free standard delivery Australia-wide on orders over $75
- General Pants: Free express delivery to Australian addresses for orders above $75
- TopShop: Free international standard delivery for all orders over £100
- Hunters and Gatherers Bazaar: Free delivery to Australia for all orders above $150
- David Jones: Free standard delivery when you spend $100 in a single transaction
Top deals and discounts
Show code & visit siteHE****After the store tab opens, come back to copy the code
Show code & visit siteRA****After the store tab opens, come back to copy the code
Show code & visit siteSA****After the store tab opens, come back to copy the code
2 for $20 and 3 for $30 mix and match basics
Get 2 for $20 and 3 for $30 mix and match basics at Supre. Conditions Apply
Show code & visit siteVC****After the store tab opens, come back to copy the code
$30 off when you subscribe to newsletter
Sign up to the Birdcage newsletter and get $30 off your first order.
Show code & visit siteWG****After the store tab opens, come back to copy the code
Show code & visit siteFB****After the store tab opens, come back to copy the code
Show code & visit siteAF****After the store tab opens, come back to copy the code
Show code & visit sitefu****After the store tab opens, come back to copy the code