The Magic Bullet is a small kitchen appliance that gives you a large amount of help in the kitchen.
An ‘As Seen on TV’ product, it is likely that you have seen the Magic Bullet in action. This is the small bullet-shaped blender that claims to be able to any job in just 10 seconds. By any job they mean chop, grate, or blend a variety of different foods to the consistency you want. So how well does it stand by that promise?
How does the Magic Bullet work?
The secret behind the multi-functions of the Magic Bullet is the unique oblong shape of the mixing cup, and two blades designed for different functions. The shape creates a cyclone effect inside of the mixer, where the food is being forced back down onto the blades. The cross blade with its four prongs is used for chopping, grating and blending, while the two pronged flat blade is ideal for whipping and grinding.
You would use the cross blade to make frozen drinks and sauces or even to grate cheese and vegetables like a food processor would. The flat blade can be used to whip mousses and puddings to the perfect consistency, or to grind coffee beans, soft nuts and spices.
Once you know the ingredients you are working with, simply fill one of the mixing cups that come with the Magic Bullet, screw on the right blade, turn it over and press it down onto the base. You can hold it in place for a recipe that calls for a smooth texture, or ‘pulse’ grate by releasing and reapplying pressure. This method is used when you want to create a chunky salsa or sauce. When finished you only need to remove the cup from the base, unscrew the blade and screw on the lid of your choice.Back to top
What does the Magic Bullet come with?
The Magic Bullet is small, but it comes with a large number of accessories. These include:
- Power base. The base of the Magic Bullet contains a 250 Watt motor and a plug to connect to a power source.
- Short cup. The smaller mixing cup is best used for chopping vegetable portions or grinding coffee.
- Tall cup. The larger of the two mixing cups is just the right size for mixing smoothies and shakes.
- Two blades. You can easily tell the difference in the blades. The cross blade has four stainless steel prongs sticking up while the flat blade has only two.
- Two lids. The re-sealable lids can be used to keep the food inside of the cups fresh.
- Two shaker lids. Shaker lids have holes in the top and can be used to microwave foods right inside of the mixing cup, or to turn them into shakers for cheese, cinnamon and other grated foods.
- Four drinking mugs. These are designed so that you can make and drink your smoothies or shakes from the same cup. Each cup rim is a different color for when you need to keep track of which drink belongs to whom.
- Recipe book. The Magic Bullet also comes with a 100 page recipe book that includes all of the dishes seen in the commercials, plus many more.
- Blender attachment. The blender allows you to use the same base, but make larger portions of drinks and mixes.
- Juicer attachment. This special attachment turns the Magic Bullet into a juicing machine.
All of the cups and lids are safe to go in the dishwasher as well as the blades. You can also clean the blades and cup by blending a small amount of dish soap and warm water and then rinsing well under running water.
While there are similarities both in the name and the shape of the Magic Bullet and Nutri Bullet, the Nutri Bullet is not as versatile. It’s carefully designed blades and 600 Watt motor are exclusively for tearing through fruits, nuts and vegetables and turning them into nutritious drinks. The Magic Bullet is not nearly as powerful with its 250 Watt motor, but its blades designs allow for other functions like chopping and grating.
The other major difference is in the cost. While the Nutri Bullet retails for over $200, the Magic Bullet can be found in stores for under $100.
Where can you buy the Magic Bullet online?
Sold? Buy the Magic Bullet online now at one of these top retailers:
Where can you buy the Magic Bullet in Australia?
Heaps of major department stores stock the Magic Bullet. Here's a rundown of some of bigger stores that stock it:
- Target. Originally priced at $119, the price has been reduced to $99.
- Harvey Norman. This large retailer sells the Magic Bullet for $120.95.
- Deals Direct. This online retailer is known for selling the latest gadgets at the hottest prices.
- Amazon. The home of absolutely everything. Why not import the bullet and see if you can pay less overall?
- eBay. One of the biggest online marketplaces. You can bet you can find the bullet for a bargain right here.
Recipe ideas for the Magic Bullet
The Magic Bullet is more than just a compact smoothie maker. With the right ingredients you can also use it to make soups, sauces and ground spices. Here are a few ideas to help get you started:
- Berry smoothie. Add one cup of any berry of your choice (or combination of berries) to the tall mixing cup along with a 3/4 cup of yogurt and 1/2 cup of orange juice. You can add protein powders as well for extra nutritional benefit. Use the cross blade and blend until the drink is at your desired consistency. Try freezing the berries first if you want a frozen smoothie.
- Broccoli soup. Start with 1 cup of broccoli florets, a clove of garlic and a 1/2 cup of chicken stock in your tall cup. Use the shaker cap and microwave this for about 2 minutes until the broccoli is soft. Now add a 1/3 cup of cream or non-fat yogurt and salt and pepper to your taste. Using the cross blade, blend the ingredients until they reach the consistency of a creamy soup. For extra flavor, sprinkle grated cheese on the top when finished.
- Egg salad. For creamy egg salad cut up one celery stalk and remove as much of the string as possible. Add this to the short cup along with two hard boiled eggs, two spring onions, one tablespoon of mayonnaise and one teaspoon of mustard powder. Use the cross blade and pulse the mixture using short bursts as opposed to allowing it to blend. You may need to tap the sides of the cup to help move the food towards the blade center. This will create a creamy egg salad mixture with small pieces of the protein and vegetables. You can also add salt and pepper to taste before mixing.
- Guacamole. This is a healthy treat that can be used to top salads and tacos or as a dip served with tortilla chips. Place one ripe and peeled avocado inside of the small cup (remember to remove the pit) along with five cherry tomatoes, one garlic clove, lime juice, a tablespoon of cilantro leaves, and salt and pepper. You can also add a tablespoon of sour cream to make a smoother dip. Use the cross blade and pulse method until you reach the consistency that you want.
The versatility of the Magic Bullet makes it an appliance that can be utilised for dozens of different tasty and nutritious recipes. Plus clean up is easy with its one cup does it all feature and dishwasher safe parts. If you are looking for a way to simplify your cooking and smoothie needs, the Magic Bullet may be your answer.