How to pick the perfect piece of jewellery for someone else
Picking out that perfect jewellery gift for someone else can be daunting, but we're here to help you get it right.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Jewellery is a such a personal thing that it can be hard to choose something that someone else will love – no matter how well you know them.
Whether you're picking a Valentine's Day gift for your partner, a birthday present for your daughter or a Mother's Day gift for your mum, here are the steps to choosing the perfect piece.
1. Firstly, you need to work out what kind of jewellery this person likes.
If you don't already have a picture in your head of the kinds of things this person normally wears, that's fine. You can:
- Look at what they're wearing next time you see them.
- Have a look at the most recently worn items on their dresser or in their jewellery box.
- Take a look at this person's recent pictures on Instagram or Facebook for clues. Don't look at anything older than a year – trends change.
- See if they have a Pinterest account. They might have some ideas or styles on there that you can use for inspiration.
- Look through the brands they follow on Instagram. This could provide clues as to specific brands they like.
2. Now that you have a picture of what kind of jewellery they like, answer these four questions:
- Do they like fine jewellery (real metals and gems) or costume jewellery (not real)?
- Do they like delicate jewellery or chunky jewellery?
- Do they like gem stones or plain pieces?
- Do they like gold, silver or rose gold?
3. Find the perfect store
Now that you have a better picture of the types of jewellery you should choose, scroll down to see our top picks for all different kinds of jewellery.
Best for Costume Jewellery
Image source: Holy Ryan Instagram
Best for Fine Jewellery
Image source: Tiffany & Co. Instagram
Best for Delicate Jewellery
Image source: The ICONIC by Charlotte Instagram
Best for Chunky Jewellery
Image source: Ruby Olive's Instagram
Best for Gemstone Jewellery
Image source: Swarovski Instagram
Best for Plain Jewellery
Image source: Calvin Klein Instagram
Best for Silver Jewellery
Image source: Pandora Instagram
Best for Gold Jewellery
Image source: Reliquia Instagram
More guides on Finder
Best tinted moisturiser in Australia
We read hundreds of customer reviews to find the best tinted moisturisers you can buy online and in store in Australia.
Best setting sprays in Australia
We’ve found the six best setting sprays you can buy in Australia right now.
Best speakers in Australia
Treat your ears with the nine best speakers you can buy right now.
Best exfoliators in Australia
From the best lip exfoliator to the top product for the body, we rounded up the seven best exfoliators you can get in Australia right now.
Best air mattresses in Australia
These are the 7 best air mattresses you can buy right now in Australia.
Best camping gazebos in Australia
Whether you’re heading to the beach or the bush, we’ve found the best camping gazebo for you.
Best carpet shampooers in Australia
We compared hundreds of customer reviews and found the five best carpet shampooers you can buy online in Australia.
Best bike lights in Australia
These are the six best bike lights you can buy in Australia right now.
Best PS4 headsets in Australia
These are the best PS4 headsets you can get your hands on right now in Australia.
Best moisturiser for dry skin in Australia
From the best overall face moisturiser for dry skin to the best body moisturiser, hand moisturiser and tinted moisturiser for dry skin, these are the best 7 moisturisers for dry skin you can buy in Australia right now.
Ask an Expert