How to pick the perfect piece of jewellery for someone else
Picking out that perfect jewellery gift for someone else can be daunting, but we're here to help you get it right.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Jewellery is a such a personal thing that it can be hard to choose something that someone else will love – no matter how well you know them.
Whether you're picking a Valentine's Day gift for your partner, a birthday present for your daughter or a Mother's Day gift for your mum, here are the steps to choosing the perfect piece.
1. Firstly, you need to work out what kind of jewellery this person likes.
If you don't already have a picture in your head of the kinds of things this person normally wears, that's fine. You can:
- Look at what they're wearing next time you see them.
- Have a look at the most recently worn items on their dresser or in their jewellery box.
- Take a look at this person's recent pictures on Instagram or Facebook for clues. Don't look at anything older than a year – trends change.
- See if they have a Pinterest account. They might have some ideas or styles on there that you can use for inspiration.
- Look through the brands they follow on Instagram. This could provide clues as to specific brands they like.
2. Now that you have a picture of what kind of jewellery they like, answer these four questions:
- Do they like fine jewellery (real metals and gems) or costume jewellery (not real)?
- Do they like delicate jewellery or chunky jewellery?
- Do they like gem stones or plain pieces?
- Do they like gold, silver or rose gold?
3. Find the perfect store
Now that you have a better picture of the types of jewellery you should choose, scroll down to see our top picks for all different kinds of jewellery.
Best for Costume Jewellery
Image source: Holy Ryan Instagram
Best for Fine Jewellery
Image source: Tiffany & Co. Instagram
Best for Delicate Jewellery
Image source: The ICONIC by Charlotte Instagram
Best for Chunky Jewellery
Image source: Ruby Olive's Instagram
Best for Gemstone Jewellery
Image source: Swarovski Instagram
Best for Plain Jewellery
Image source: Calvin Klein Instagram
Best for Silver Jewellery
Image source: Pandora Instagram
Best for Gold Jewellery
Image source: Reliquia Instagram
More guides on Finder
Amazon Prime Day 2021 Australia: Early deals on now
Amazon Prime Day 2021 officially starts on June 21 - or does it? Here's a stack of early-bird deals you can get right now.
Handypay Green Loan
A Green Loan from Handypay could help you make your home more energy-efficient. Handypay green loans are available up to $75,000 on terms of up to 10 years.
Victoria floods: How much food spoilage will your home insurance cover?
There’s been over 25,000 power outages across Victoria. Home insurance can reimburse you for the food that’s gone to waste. Find out who here.
TCL 20SE Review: Great display but otherwise unremarkable
If you're after a low-cost mobile with a quality display, the TCL 20SE is appealing, but you'll otherwise be left wanting for app performance, camera quality and battery life.
Today’s ASX top stocks: Moneyme (MME ↑18.8%), Cd Private Equity Fund I (CD1 ↑18.5%)
The 10 biggest movers on the ASX for Tuesday 15 June 2021.
Amazon Prime Day: 60% off fashion deals you’re not going to want to miss
Bargain hunters - get ready to save on Nike, New Balance, Cotton On, Tommy Hilfiger, Calvin Klein and so much more.
Amazon Prime Day best home deals: Bose, iRobot and more
From home speakers to robot vacuums, these are the items to watch out for this Prime Day.
Staple items worth a splurge and how you can grab a cheeky 30% off all of them
We've got a cheeky 30% off at THE ICONIC so here are the staple items worth a splurge because the savings are too damn good.
Ask an Expert