Ceiling fan Finder: We can help you find the perfect fan to meet your needs
What to consider when choosing a ceiling fan for a variety of budgets and spaces including outdoors, bedrooms and more.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Best Rated Ceiling Fan Brand: Mercator
With 94% of Aussies recommending Mercator, it's the ceiling fan brand of choice. It had solid scores across the board, including for performance, design and features and functions.
The cost of a ceiling fan can range from $70 to $2,000 or more. When choosing a ceiling fan, you need to know the size of your room and the height of the ceiling. Then you can consider how many blades you want, what material you prefer, how many speeds you need and other important features.
How do ceiling fans work?
Ceiling fans cool you by moving air around your body and making sweat evaporate. Unlike air conditioners, fans don’t affect the temperature of a room. Instead, they affect how the temperature feels to your body.
You can use your ceiling fan year round to circulate air by reversing the direction of the fan when the seasons change. In warmer months, a counter-clockwise spinning fan will feel like a pleasant breeze. In cooler months, a clockwise spinning fan will rotate the warm air trapped at the ceiling back down to the floor and make the room feel warmer.
AC vs DC
Alternating current (AC) motors are the most common type of motor in ceiling fans but direct current (DC) motors are becoming more and more popular.
|AC (Alternating current)|
|DC (Direct current)|
How to choose the best ceiling fan
The price of ceiling fans generally ranges from $70 to $2,000 and depends on size, material, finish and brand.
When looking for a ceiling fan, the first thing you need to do is measure the room where you're going to install the fan.
Additional features to consider:
- Reversible rotation. We mentioned earlier that fans can help move warm air around a room in winter, but this is only the case for fans with reversible motors. If you experience cold winters and want this handy feature, look for fans that offer reversible rotation.
- Remote control. Older fans are often operated by pull-cords or wall switches. With modern fans, remote controls are often included with a fan but can sometimes be an optional extra. Remote controls give you the convenience and ease-of-use of wall switches, without requiring professional installation. There are also some smart fans that automatically turn on and off based on temperature and can be controlled by an app installed on a smart device or connected to a smart speaker.
- Light. Many ceiling fans come with options for integrated lights. If you want ceiling lighting for a room with a ceiling fan, look for fans with built-in lights. Installing ceiling lights separately can sometimes make the light look like it’s flashing.
- Weatherproofing. If you want to install your ceiling fan in an outdoor area, make sure to get one with waterproofing and protection. However, even a weather-resistant fan cannot be exposed directly to water and needs at least two walls to shield the fan from wind and other elements.
Ceiling fans vs air conditioners
We all know air conditioners can be expensive to use, but the fact remains that they can cool down a room very efficiently. Whether you choose a ceiling fan or an air conditioner will depend on what you expect from your cooling device and how much you want to spend on an ongoing basis.
Pros and cons
Many people find using both a ceiling fan and air conditioner in tandem works well. Once the air conditioner cools the room, a ceiling fan can help circulate the colder air. You can then turn your air conditioner to a lower setting or turn it off entirely. You can also save money by using the air conditioner only on really hot days and use the fan on warm days where you just want a nice breeze.
4 things to consider
- Ceiling fans can be loud. If you want a quiet fan, see if you can see the fan in motion before you make a purchase. You can also read user reviews to see if anyone mentions the noise level of the fan. If your fan is noisy due to excess wobbling, a fan balancing kit could help.
- It’s important to maintain your ceiling fan. If you want your ceiling fan to last a long time, you need to care for it and clean it regularly. Dust collected on the top of ceiling fan blades can spread around the room and worsen allergies, asthma and other conditions.
- You will need to have your fan installed. Australian regulations require ceiling fans to be installed by a qualified electrician. The cost of installation will depend on the structure and architecture of the room and home. You might want to contact an electrician to get a quote for installation before you buy a fan so that you can have a better sense of the total cost before making a purchase.
- Remember to turn off your fan. Your ceiling fan will only work while you are in the room since fans don’t actually lower room temperature. When you leave a room, turn off your ceiling fan to help reduce energy consumption.
Best rated ceiling fan brand award breakdown
|Total Score||Overall rating||Value for Money||Design||Features & functions||Performance|
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: 35% off Dungeons & Dragons, 50% off New Balance shoes, Cheap Echo Show 5 smart home hubs.
Best speakers in Australia
Treat your ears with the eight best speakers you can buy right now.
Double glazed windows
Increase the energy efficiency of your home with double glazed windows.
What smart gadgets can help you save on energy around the home?
SPONSORED: Want a more efficient home? Make life more convenient with these clever devices you can control from anywhere.
Black Friday 2019: Homewares and appliances you need to buy
Black Friday is the time to stock up on bed linen, home decor and kitchen appliances. Find out where you can save!
Dyson Pure Cool Me purifying fan review: Cleaner, cooler air just for you
The new Dyson Pure Cool Me fan awakens a new era in cooling. This unique device is highly personal and health-conscious.
Top 5 airport lounges you can visit with your credit card
SPONSORED: The best airport lounges you can visit with the complimentary lounge passes that come with your credit card.
Best pedestal and tower fans in Australia
These are the 8 best pedestal fans you can buy right now in Australia to stay cool during the warmer months.
Ride-on mower buying guide: How to find the best ride-on mower
All the essential info you need to know to compare ride-on mowers and find the perfect mower for your lawn.
Best electric heaters in Australia 2020
These are the five best electric heaters in a range of categories you can buy in Australia right now.
Ask an Expert