Best Boxing Day harbour cruises in Sydney 2021
Sit back and relax with a harbour cruise on 26 December. Prices start at $55.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Boxing Day might be a public holiday, but Sydney doesn't take the day off. Even though the Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race has been cancelled for 2020, your cruising options aren't entirely over.
If heading out onto the water is your favourite way to spend Boxing Day, check out our top picks for the cruises that are going ahead.
Top picks for other Boxing Day harbour cruises
Keen for a sleep in? Maybe you'd prefer to soak under the Sydney sun instead of being part of the race action? These cruises run on 26 December and take in the beauty of the harbour throughout the day.
|Cruise company||What's included?||Price||Book|
|Boxing Day Dinner Cruise||$55 per person||Book now|
|Boxing Day Cruise On Galene||$79 per person||Book now|
|Twilight Tall Ship Cruise|
|$109 per person||Book now|
|Boxing Day Cruise On Proclaim||$110 per person||Book now|
|Boxing Day Cruise Social Sail||$120 per person||Book now|
|Boxing Day Cruise On Morpheus||$140 per person||Book now|
|3 hour Sydney Harbour Sailing Cruise||$175 per person||Book now|
|Private Sydney Harbour Sunset Cruise||$799 for 2 hours||Book now|
|Boxing Day Cruise On Royale||$2,050 per charter||Book now|
|Boxing Day Cruise On Mari Nawi||$2,100 per charter||Book now|
|Boxing Day Cruise On Ghost Sports Yacht||$6,400 per charter||Book now|
|Boxing Day Cruise On Prometheus||$9,950 per charter||Book now|
Top picks for Boxing Day harbour cruises you can still book that chase the start of the Sydney to Hobart
You won't be able to catch the race this year, but you'll still be able to spend the day on the harbour.
|Cruise company||What's included?||Price||Book|
|Boxing Day Social Sail||$120 per person||Book now|
|Boxing Day Cruise on MV Spirit|
|$130 per person||Book now|
|Sydney Harbour Boxing Day Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race start on Timber Ferry||$130 per person||Book now|
|Boxing Day Tall Ships Cruise||$169 per person||Book now|
|Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race on Soren Larsen||$225 per person||Book now|
Boxing Day harbour cruise deals
Where to watch the Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race
The 2020 Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race is not going ahead. But here are the top spots for viewing when the event returns next year.
Sydney vantage points:
- South or North Head. These are the ideal spots to catch the fleets as they set sail from the two starting lines to the north and south of Shark Island. In North Head, find your place at Cremorne Point, Bradley's Head, Clifton Gardens or at the Q Station. In South Head, try for Rushcutter's Bay, Hornby Lighthouse and restaurants along the shorefront of Watson's Bay.
- Sydney Harbour National Park. Offering more space for a better view, Sydney Harbour National Park boasts panoramic views of both North and South heads.
- Headland Park. This former military lookout drinks up endless views of Sydney Heads, the city skyline and the eastern suburbs.
Hobart vantage points:
- Constitution Dock. Sending the fleets off is one thing, welcoming the winners as they stream in is another. In Hobart, Constitution Dock comes to life with the Hobart Race Village. It's a week-long festival with family-friendly activities, food trucks, markets and more.
- Battery Point. For that glorious photo finish, be there at the official finishing point on Castray Esplanade in Battery Point.
- Wrest Point. Overlooking the Derwent River, Wrest Point hotel is one for the fanatics trying to catch the first fleets as they arrive in the wee hours of the morning from the comfort of their private balconies.
The official Rolex Sydney to Hobart website provides a live tracker to monitor the progress of the fleets in anticipation of the winner. You can also follow the race on the site via a live feed.
Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race frequently asked questions
- When does the Sydney to Hobart start? The fleet officially sets sail at 1pm on Boxing Day from the start lines just off Nielson Park. A 10-minute warning signal is made at 12:50pm and a preparatory signal sounds at 12:55pm. Keep in mind that the 2020 event has been cancelled.
- When does Sydney to Hobart finish? The race ends on 1 January, the time of which is dependent on when the first ship crosses the finishing line in Hobart.
- Where does the Sydney to Hobart finish? The official finishing line of the Sydney to Hobart is off Castray Esplanade on the River Derwent, right in Battery Point.
- When was the first Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race? The first Sydney to Hobart set sail in 1945 after a group of friends decided to sail in competition. The winner took 6 days and 14 hours to complete the journey.
- How far is Sydney to Hobart? The course is 628 nautical miles, which is approximately 1,170 kilometres. It sails from Sydney into the Tasman Sea, travelling south down the east coast of Australia, through Bass Strait and down the coast of Tasmania, ending in Hobart.
- How long does the Sydney to Hobart Race take? While the first Sydney to Hobart may have taken over six days to complete, these days the Sydney to Hobart race lasts around one and a half days. In 2017, LDV Comanche completed it in 1 day, 9 hours, 15 minutes and 24 seconds.
More guides on Finder
Things to do on Boxing Day in Melbourne 2021
Go out for brunch, hit the beach, cruise the waterways and more. Here's what to get up to on Boxing Day in Melbourne.
Every sport you can watch this Boxing Day
Here’s every single sport that’s on this Boxing Day and where you can watch them.
lastminute.com.au Boxing Day deals for 2021
Save on trips to the Gold Coast, Daintree, Sydney, Perth and more with this year's lastminute.com.au Boxing Day deals.
Boxing Day Glue Store sales 2021
Bag a bargain on streetwear this year on Boxing Day. Check out all the Glue Store discounts here.
BCF Boxing Day deals 2021
Stock up on all your outdoor adventure clothing and essentials this Boxing Day at BCF.
Boxing Day sales for Vistaprint 2021
Get all your printing needs sorted with Vistaprint’s Boxing Day sale!
Boxing Day tech sales 2021
Upgrade your old tech with killer deals on new TVs, smartphones, laptops and more this Boxing Day.
Top Sydney Harbour cruises 2021
A Sydney Harbour cruise is a great way to see Sydney in all its glory and a whole new perspective.
Valentine’s Day cruises in Sydney for the ultimate romantic date in 2021
Sip, relax and eat delicious gourmets with your special one while enjoying the scenic views of Sydney Harbour this Valentine's Day.
Boxing Day sales at EB Games 2021
EB Games is sure to go all out this Boxing Day, but it's not your only option for Boxing Day sales on games, consoles and accessories.
Ask an Expert