8 tour companies for solo travellers
These companies welcome independent travellers, from solo female adventurists to male backpackers, to help you explore more.
Being immersed in a totally new culture can be daunting when you're alone, but travelling solo can also be one of the most rewarding experiences of your life.
You can get the best of both worlds by joining a solo traveller-friendly tour group. You’ll have the freedom to spread your wings and also enjoy the company of like-minded travellers to share the experience with. Meet new friends, have 24-hour access to tips and advice from travel pros, and forget the worry about where to stay and how to book. The tour companies listed below all offer fantastic all-in-one tour options for solo adventurers - because there's nothing wrong with going it alone.
A classic choice for young solo travellers, Contiki has been at the forefront of exciting adventures for youths since the 70s. It is consistently rated among the most popular youth tour companies and is perfect for young solos travellers, with its focus on socialising and group activities.
- Age group: 18–35 year olds
- Available tour styles: Camping, sailing, fast-paced see-everything tours, in-depth, party, festivals
- Where do they go? To more than 50 countries across North America, South America, Central America, Europe, Asia and Oceania.
Search for a Contiki tour
View the latest Contiki promo codes
Up to 30% off last-minute Europe tours
Book a range of last-minute Contiki tours, from week long jaunts to month long journeys, to destinations like Italy, France, Germany, Greece and more for up to 30% off.
Intrepid Travel is one of the best global offerings for intimate, small group tours. What sets it apart from other companies geared for solo travellers? Fewer parties, more cultural experiences, less rush and more one-on-one memories to take home with you. Intrepid Travel offers travellers the option to pay a small supplement for a single room, or to save money by sharing with someone of the same gender.
- Age group: Minimum age is 18 for solo travellers with no upper age limit
- Tour styles: Sailing, family-friendly tours, foodie adventures, polar expeditions, wildlife spotting, overland adventures, festivals, cycling tours, short breaks, walking and trekking, cultural holidays, urban adventures, astronomy
- Where do they go? Africa, Asia, Central America, Europe, the Middle East, North America, Australia and Oceania, Arctic and Antarctic, South America.
Search for an Intrepid tour with TourRadar
View the latest Intrepid discount codes
Perfect for solo travelers who love to explore, G Adventures is a leading adventure tour company. It focuses on small group tours and aims to go beyond to typical tourist sites. Instead, groups have rich cultural experiences and once-in-a-lifetime wilderness adventures. The best bit? No single supplement for solo travellers (insert high five here).
- Age group: Minimum age of 18 years to travel solo. No upper age limit for tours except the Yolo tours (18–39 year olds).
- Tour styles: Classic tours with mid-range accommodation and transport, National Geographic, active, Yolo, marine adventures, family, rail tours, local living, private groups
- Where do they go? Africa, Asia, Oceania, Central America and the Caribbean, Europe, North Africa and the Middle East, North America, South America, Polar Regions
Search for a G Adventures tour
View the latest G Adventure promo codes
Geckos Adventures specialises in adventure travel for young people. Think off-the beaten track tours with people your own age, and true local leaders. While on tour, expect to find more nature and experience local cultures, rather than the joining a partying crowd. Solo travellers will be in good company: they make up the bulk of Gecko Adventures’ small group tours. No single supplements.
- Age group: 18–39 year olds
- Tour styles: Local experiences with homestays for the small group tours and private groups
- Where do they go? Asia, Central America, Europe, the Middle East, South America.
Search for a Geckos Adventure with TourRadar
View the latest Geckos Adventures promo codes
Image: Top Deck
Top Deck is also a travel company veteran that's been catering to travellers for 40 years. It has an impressive selection of tour types that are likely to appeal to young travellers. Hotel tours provide a touch more sophistication enroute, while adventure addicts and adrenaline junkies can go for the ski, sailing or explorer tours.
- Age group: 18–39 year olds
- Tour styles: Hotels, camping, in-depth destination tours, festivals and events, ANZAC, sailing, winter Europe, gap year, ski
- Where do they go? North America, Europe, the Middle East and North Africa, Africa, Asia, Australia and New Zealand
Search for a Top Deck tour
Flexibility and the freedom to travel when you want, and stay longer when you want, is the feature that sets Busabout apart. Accommodation is not part of the package on the bus loops, but guides will make suggestions and help you book a stay. It's ideal for independent travellers who like their “me time” and want the company of fellow travellers without the micro-management of a planned package tour.
- Age group: Minimum of 18 years to travel solo with no upper age limit
- Tour styles: Hop-on hop-off bus routes, sailing and island hopping, short adventures, festivals, winter trips
- Where do they go? Western Europe, Asia, Eastern Europe, Morocco
Search for a Busabout tour or travel pass
Image: On The Go Tours
On The Go Tours
On the Go Tours offers a combination of unique, adventure packed experiences during the day, with comfortable, central accommodation during the night. Solo travellers don’t need to pay a single supplement if they’re happy to share accommodation with someone of the same gender.
- Age group: No upper age limit
- Tour styles: Guided group tours, tailor-made holidays, family and teen tours, day tours, short stays and stopovers, private group tours, Christmas and New Year's tours, sailing and cruising, active adventures, festivals and events, wild safari tours
- Where do they go? Europe, Africa, Central America, South America, The Far East, The Indian Subcontinent, Southeast Asia, the Middle East
Search for an On The Go Tour
With classic overland style tours that hark back to the golden age of travel, Dragoman is a unique travel company. It’s ideal for those looking for the ease of a planned tour without feeling like it’s too touristy. Solo travellers are more than welcome and will pay no extra supplements if they're happy to share accommodation.
- Age group: Minimum age of 18 for solo travellers, no upper age limit
- Tour styles: Overland, camping
- Where do they go? Africa, North America, South America, Asia
Search for a Dragoman tour
Which of these retailers offer the option to have your own room?
- Contiki. Single rooms available with a single supplement.
- Topdeck. Single rooms available with a single supplement.
- G Adventures. Single rooms available with a single supplement.
- Intrepid Travel. Single rooms are available with a single supplement.
- On the Go Tours. Single rooms are available with a single supplement.
- OntheGo. Single rooms available with a single supplement.
- Dragoman. Single rooms available on select tours with a single supplement.
- Geckos. No single supplements available. You’ll probably you’ll share with someone of the same gender, but you might luck out with your own room if there’s no one to share with.
- Busabout. Hotels not included on main loops, transport part of a tour only.
Want to book discounted tours online? Use one of our coupons:
5% off your first order
Get 5% off your first order at City Discovery world wide.
Up to $1,500 off select Intrepid tours
Valid on select Intrepid tours worldwide including destinations like Japan, Cuba, India, Cambodia, and France. Sample tours on sale include $1,504 off Complete Galapagos, $1,162 off Land of the Rising Sun, $699 off Croatia Coastal Cruising, $670 off Cote d'Azur Sailing Adventure.
Up to 41% off Antarctic expeditions with Peregrine
Valid on select tours including 41% off the 11-day Antarctic Explorer, 27% off the 7-day Antarctic Express and 27% off the 14-day Crossing the Circle.
Up to 41% off Antarctic and Arctic trips with Intrepid
Valid on select tours departing until in Antarctica and the Arctic. Sample expeditions include the 11-day Antarctic Explorer for 41% off, 8-day Arctic Watch Lodge for 22% off and the 11-day Antarctic Express for 22% off.
$615 off Iceland Northern Lights tours
Book Travel Talk's Land of the Northern Lights tour and get $615 off the regular price.
5% off triple share room
Book a triple share room (available on some hotel trips) and we’ll give you 5% off. Select this option at checkout and the discount will be applied.
Up to 50% off Europe tours
More than 550 tours to Greece, Italy, France England and more countries in Europe discounted from companies like Contiki, Topdeck, Trafalgar, Insight and more.
Book with friends and get up to 10% off
Get up to 10% off when you book with friends at Contiki. The more friends you bring on Contiki, the more you’ll save. Just enter the number of people you’re booking for at checkout and the discounts will be applied.
Topdeck tours from $85 per day
Book Topdeck tours in Europe, North America, Africa and more from just $85 per day.