Your kids are planning the family holiday
And they know what they're doing.
A new survey by Stayz, one of Australia's leading holiday rental sites, has taken a very close look at how much kids influence family holiday decisions.
The bad news is that they're the ones who are really calling the shots. The good news is that they want the exact same things you do. On the top of the holiday rental wishlist, for parents and kids alike, you'll find:
- Holiday homes with a swimming pool
- Enough space for kids and parents to have their own rooms
- Beaches, theme parks and things to do
Meanwhile, parents and kids alike could get excited about the idea of staying somewhere special, like a castle or treehouse.
Are kids really calling the shots?
By the numbers, 95% of Aussie kids are helping decide on the family holiday destination in some way, and a lot of parents naturally welcome their input. In the end, a solid 1 in 4 kids surveyed said that they were the ones who made the final decision.
It seems that most parents might be deliberately getting their kids involved.
However, only 45% of parents said it was so the kids knew that their opinions were valued, with most simply saying it was to get kids more excited about the holiday, and so they'd enjoy it more.
What influences kids' choices?
Tech trends and media influence play a major role, and of these the most influential are:
- Television or Netflix: 29%
- The internet: 28%
- Movies: 28%
- Instagram: 17%
The takeaway for parents might be that it's worth paying attention to what your kids watch.
Top Aussie holiday spots in July
So where's everyone going? According to bookings made on Stayz, it's all about either embracing or escaping the winter, with snow and sun both being some of the most popular family holiday spots.
Unusually, wine country also featured very heavily in the top holiday spots. It's safe to say the kids didn't choose those.
- Staying home for the holidays? Here are 50 school holiday activities you can do for free.
- Going away for the holidays? Here's a list of travel insurance brands that cover kids for free.
- How to compare cryptocurrency exchanges
- New on Netflix, Stan, Prime Video, Foxtel, BINGE, Disney+, SBS and more in October 2020
- Business In:Brief with John Fargher (AgriWebb)
- Planning your retirement? Here are 4 things you need to know about reverse mortgages
- Which COVID-19 stocks are leading the vaccine race?