Youi car insurance vs AAMI
Youi or AAMI? Find out who's right for you.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Youi comprehensive car insurance offers two, easy-to-understand policies with cover for essentials as well as for lost or stolen keys, counselling services and roadside assistance. AAMI's comprehensive car insurance policy comes with benefits including hire car after an event for unlimited days and plenty of other services covering you for theft, flood and more. To ensure you make the decision that works best for you, we've highlighted their differences below.
What differences are there between Youi car insurance and AAMI?
Some of the main differences between Youi car insurance and AAMI car insurance include the following:
- Personal property. When your car is stolen or damaged in an incident covered by your policy, Youi will pay up to $750 ($150/item) for accidental loss or damage to your personal property, such as clothing, electronics and telecommunication devices that were in the car at the time of the incident. AAMI has a slightly higher limit, covering you up to $1,000 in total per incident.
- Counselling services. With Youi, you'll get cover for counselling sessions with an accredited counsellor in case you're in an accident. The most it will pay for each claim is $1,500 per household member.
- Emergency roadside assistance. Youi includes emergency roadside assistance with its comprehensive car insurance policy. This is an optional extra with AAMI.
- Hire car following an incident. You can get a hire car after an event for unlimited days with AAMI, but only as an add-on. You can get a similar add on with Youi but cover will cease after 14 days.
How do both brands compare?
|About the provider||Youi underwrites its own policies. It currently offers vehicle (car, motorcycle, caravan and trailer), home (building and contents), watercraft and business liability insurance.||AAMI is part of the Suncorp Network, who also provide insurance for brands such as AAMI, Suncorp, GIO, Apia, Shannons and Bingle. They provide car, home, travel, life and business insurance.|
|Underwriter||Youi Pty Ltd||AAI Limited|
|State served||All states except NT||Australia wide|
|Products available||Comprehensive, third party, fire and theft, and third party property only||Comprehensive, third party, fire and theft, and third party property only|
|Damage to car|
|Theft or attempted theft|
|Hire car after theft||Reasonable cost||Reasonable cost|
|Emergency travel and accommodation costs||$1,000||$1,000|
|New car replacement|
|Grocery replacement cover|
|Locks and keys replacement||$1,000||$1,000|
|Trailer and caravan cover||$1,000|
|No claim discount|
|More info||More info|
*To make sure if the product is what you are looking for you, always check the product disclosure statement (PDS).
What benefits do Youi and AAMI car insurance offer?
Here are some of the main benefits available with Youi and AAMI car insurance policies:
- Hire car following a not-at-fault car accident: Both automatically provide you with a hire car if an accident with another vehicle causes loss or damage to your car where you are not at fault.
- New for old replacement. Both providers will either replace the car or pay the replacement cost of a new one if your car is written off within the first two years.
- Emergency repairs. Both cover you for the reasonable costs of emergency repairs to make your car roadworthy or safe, so you can get it to your destination
- Accommodation cover. Both will pay the reasonable emergency accommodation costs if your car is not roadworthy or safe to drive and you are more than 100km from your home.
How do Youi's and AAMI's exclusions compare?
Both Youi's and AAMI's general exclusions are similar. For example, both exclude cover for transporting dangerous goods, deliberate acts and driving a damaged car. They also only provide cover for loss or damage that occurs in Australia.
AAMI also does not cover incorrect fuel usage that results in loss or damage to your car. However, Youi's roadside assistance add-on will cover you for towing costs if you use the incorrect fuel.
For towing, Youi does not cover you for any costs associated with towing a car that has a GVM exceeding 3.5 tonnes. AAMI does not specify a weight limit.
What companies are the underwriters for AAMI and Youi?
AAMI is part of the Suncorp Network, which also consists of brands Suncorp, Bingle, GIO, Apia and Shannons. Its car insurance is underwritten by AAI Limited, which is a joint initiative between Suncorp Group and Good Shepherd Microfinance.
Youi Pty Ltd underwrites its own policies and is regulated by the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority (APRA) and the Australian Securities and Investment Commission (ASIC). It is part of international insurance provider OUTsurance International Holdings Pty Limited and Rand Merchant Insurance Holdings Group (RMIH).
More guides on Finder
Best Electric Cars Australia
Here are some of the best electric cars in Australia in 2021.
Home office insurance
We talk you through how to get home office insurance.
How to find the best car storage facility to keep your set of wheels safe and secure.
Does home insurance cover hearing aids?
Want hearing aid insurance? Home insurance is the answer.
What are covered events in home insurance?
All home insurance policies have a common list of covered events. These insured events include things like fire, storm and theft.
BMW X7 car insurance
Thinking about buying a BMW X7? See average car insurance costs and find out about prestige car insurance
What is malicious damage?
Protect your home from the costs of malicious damage with home insurance. Compare policies in just minutes and get peace of mind.
Bentley Continental car insurance
Learn about insuring a Bentley Continental with a prestige car insurance broker
Porsche 911 car insurance
Want to insure a Porsche 911? Here are things we think you should know.
Mercedes-Benz G-Class luxury car insurance
Find out about how to insure the luxury Mercedes-AMG G 63 4x4 SUV.
Ask an Expert