Youi comprehensive car insurance offers two, easy-to-understand policies with cover for essentials as well as for lost or stolen keys, counselling services and roadside assistance. AAMI's comprehensive car insurance policy comes with benefits including hire car after an event for unlimited days and plenty of other services covering you for theft, flood and more. To ensure you make the decision that works best for you, we've highlighted their differences below.
What differences are there between Youi car insurance and AAMI?
Some of the main differences between Youi car insurance and AAMI car insurance include the following:
- Personal property. When your car is stolen or damaged in an incident covered by your policy, Youi will pay up to $750 ($150/item) for accidental loss or damage to your personal property, such as clothing, electronics and telecommunication devices that were in the car at the time of the incident. AAMI has a slightly higher limit, covering you up to $1,000 in total per incident.
- Counselling services. With Youi, you'll get cover for counselling sessions with an accredited counsellor in case you're in an accident. The most it will pay for each claim is $1,500 per household member.
- Emergency roadside assistance. Youi includes emergency roadside assistance with its comprehensive car insurance policy. This is an optional extra with AAMI.
- Hire car following an incident. You can get a hire car after an event for unlimited days with AAMI, but only as an add-on. You can get a similar add on with Youi but cover will cease after 14 days.
How do both brands compare?
AAMI Comprehensive Car Insurance
|Underwriter||Youi Pty Ltd||AAI Limited|
|Damage to other people's car|
|Bonuses||No||$50 online discount|
|Agreed or market value||
Agreed or Market
Agreed or Market
|Choice of repairer||Optional|
|Legal liability||Yes - $20,000,000||Yes - $20,000,000|
|Fire and theft|
|Hire car after theft||Yes - Limit not mentioned - Up to 14 days||Yes - Reasonable costs - Up to 21 days|
|Hire car after no fault accident|
|Hire car after at fault accident||Optional - Limit not mentioned - Up to 14 days||Optional - Up to $90 per day - Until claim is completed|
|Emergency repairs||Yes - $1,000||Yes - $1,000|
|Emergency travel and accommodation costs||Yes - $1,000||Yes - $1,000|
|New car replacement||2 years||2 years|
|Locks and keys replacement||Yes - $1,000||No|
|Important||Limits, exclusions and terms and conditions apply. Read the Product Disclosure Statement.||Limits, exclusions and terms and conditions apply. Read the Product Disclosure Statement.|
|Get quote||More info|
*To make sure if the product is what you are looking for you, always check the product disclosure statement (PDS).
What benefits do Youi and AAMI car insurance offer?
Here are some of the main benefits available with Youi and AAMI car insurance policies:
- Hire car following a not-at-fault car accident: Both automatically provide you with a hire car if an accident with another vehicle causes loss or damage to your car where you are not at fault.
- New for old replacement. Both providers will either replace the car or pay the replacement cost of a new one if your car is written off within the first two years.
- Emergency repairs. Both cover you for the reasonable costs of emergency repairs to make your car roadworthy or safe, so you can get it to your destination
- Accommodation cover. Both will pay the reasonable emergency accommodation costs if your car is not roadworthy or safe to drive and you are more than 100km from your home.
How do Youi's and AAMI's exclusions compare?
Both Youi's and AAMI's general exclusions are similar. For example, both exclude cover for transporting dangerous goods, deliberate acts and driving a damaged car. They also only provide cover for loss or damage that occurs in Australia.
AAMI also does not cover incorrect fuel usage that results in loss or damage to your car. However, Youi's roadside assistance add-on will cover you for towing costs if you use the incorrect fuel.
For towing, Youi does not cover you for any costs associated with towing a car that has a GVM exceeding 3.5 tonnes. AAMI does not specify a weight limit.
What companies are the underwriters for AAMI and Youi?
AAMI is part of the Suncorp Network, which also consists of brands Suncorp, Bingle, GIO, Apia and Shannons. Its car insurance is underwritten by AAI Limited, which is a joint initiative between Suncorp Group and Good Shepherd Microfinance.Youi Pty Ltd underwrites its own policies and is regulated by the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority (APRA) and the Australian Securities and Investment Commission (ASIC). It is part of international insurance provider OUTsurance International Holdings Pty Limited and Rand Merchant Insurance Holdings Group (RMIH).
Why you can trust Finder's car insurance experts
You pay the same as buying directly from the car insurer. Better still, we regularly run exclusive deals that you won't find on any other site – plus, our tables make it easy to compare policies.
Unlike other comparison sites, we're not owned by an insurer. That means our opinions are our own and we work with lots of car insurance brands, making it easier for you to find a good deal.
Since 2014, we've helped 300,000+ people find car insurance by explaining your cover options, simply and clearly. We'll never ask for your number or email. We're here to help you make a decision.
We're here to help
More guides on Finder
Not at fault car accident
What you need to know about insurance if you’re involved in a car accident that wasn’t your fault.
Do I need car insurance in Australia?
Yes, you need car insurance to protect you from expensive bills following an accident.
Allianz vs AAMI car insurance
Allianz vs AAMI – compare policies side by side and see who has what matters to you.
How long after a car accident can you claim?
Find out how long you have to file your car insurance claim.
Choice of repairer car insurance
Not sure if you should go with your own repairer or your insurer's favourite? Learn the pros and cons of each here.
Compare Car Insurance NSW
Your guide to getting car insurance in NSW.
Short term car insurance Australia
Find out what short term car insurance options are available in Australia.
Car insurance cover notes explained
Car insurance cover notes are no longer available in Australia. Read on to learn why and what your alternatives are.
Car insurance for P-platers
Find affordable and comprehensive car insurance for P-platers with this handy guide.
How much is car insurance?
How much does car insurance cost and what factors affect your premium? Your comprehensive guide here.
Ask an Expert