You still have time to book those Christmas flights on the cheap
Still haven't made your Christmas plans? Here are the best tips to bag a bargain.
The summer holidays are fast approaching and it might seem like it's beyond too late to catch a good deal. For the procrastinators among us, we've got some good news that'll make it seem like all your Christmases have come at once.
According to research by travel booking site Expedia, you can book as late as two weeks before your holiday and still secure a decent airfare.
Based on hotel and flight demand for the period of 14 December 2018 to 1 January 2019, Expedia data shows that the ideal time to book your summer accommodation is between zero and six days before travel.
Aussie holiday-goers could save up to 35% compared to the most expensive week in the 90 days before.
When looking at flights for the same period, the cheapest travel window is 7 to 13 days before travelling.
How to save on your next summer holiday
So now you know that all hope isn't lost, we've got some more tips to help you bag a bargain:
- Expedia's key tip is to be flexible.
- Book on a Sunday, fly on a Friday (this can save you 5-45%).
- If you're a family or travelling in a group, opt for a holiday rental to save on eating out and doing laundry.
- Be flexible with your destination and consider locations that aren't hot tourist spots.
If being flexible and possibly missing out on your dream destination seems too much like living on the edge, we recommend booking as early as possible. Start looking now and lock everything in for peace of mind.
Where should Aussies travel this summer period?
Research has shown that Australian travellers are willing to head further over the summer period, with 90% of the most popular hotel destinations located overseas.
Expedia has sourced the most popular destinations for Aussies this Christmas, many of which also made our top holiday destinations list. At the very top is Japan, which experiences winter during our summer months and could be ideal for a ski holiday or a white Christmas.
New York and London are in the same boat but travellers still keen for some fun in the sun should consider Bali, Honolulu and even Surfers Paradise for something a bit closer to home.
Trending destinations to keep an eye out for are:
- Yanuca Island, Fiji
- Boracay Island, Philippines
- Airlie Beach, Australia
- Canggu, Indonesia
- Langkawi, Malaysia
Top 10 destinations for Aussies these summer holidays
- Tokyo, Japan
- New York, USA
- Kuta, Indonesia
- Legian, Indonesia
- Surfers Paradise, Australia
- Seminyak, Indonesia
- London, United Kingdom
- Osaka, Japan
- Honolulu, USA.
How much are Aussies spending on travel?
- Queensland’s NSW and ACT travel ban: Everything you need to know
- The three-step plan to reopen Australia: What you can and can’t do
- Airlines, cruises and tours waive change and cancellation fees due to coronavirus [Updated]
- Australians advised not to travel: What to know [Updated]
- Travelling during coronavirus? Here’s what you need to know [Updated]