We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Trying to find work when you've wrongfully lost your job can be a very trying situation. If you think you have a case, you could be compensated for wrongful termination and stand a better chance of finding employment.
Read on to find out how a wrongful termination lawyer can help you, and how the term differs from unfair dismissal.
Where can I find a wrongful termination lawyer online?
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
What is a wrongful termination lawyer?
Wrongful termination lawyers are experts in workplace issues and employment law. They will review your case to see if you're eligible to file a general protections claim for wrongful termination.
A wrongful termination lawyer will review your termination contract and inform you of your rights. If your lawyer finds your employer is in breach of your employment contract, they will put forth a motion to bring your case before the courts.
When should I use a wrongful termination lawyer?
If your employer has dismissed you under questionable circumstances, you might have a claim against them in the following instances:
- You were on maternity or parental leave at the time
- You were off work at the time due to illness or injury
- Your termination was discriminatory in nature
- Your termination was related to trade union membership and duties
- Your termination was related to an Australian Workplace Agreement
- You were dismissed after lodging an official grievance against your employer.
Wrongful termination lawyer vs unfair dismissal lawyers
Except for a few subtle differences, wrongful termination and unfair dismissal are virtually the same. In comparison, wrongful termination protects the individual under common law and is a breach of contract law. Unfair dismissal is tried under statutory law and protects employees from unfair employment practices.
If you miss the 21-day cutoff for filing an unfair dismissal claim with the Fair Work Commission, you may still be eligible to apply for wrongful termination. It's likely you'll want to check with a lawyer before filing your claim.
What does a wrongful termination lawyer do and not do?
A wrongful termination lawyer has expertise in the area of employment law under commonwealth and state legislation. They work with both wrongful termination and unfair dismissal cases, and can represent either the employee or the employer.
What they typically do
A wrongful termination lawyer's services usually includes:
- Review and assess your situation to see if you have a claim
- Give you the most up-to-date legal advice and information
- File the necessary paperwork with regulatory bodies to begin proceedings
- Develop a case on your behalf to determine fair compensation.
What they won't typically do
As mentioned above, a wrongful termination is not the same as unfair dismissal. Your lawyer will treat your case appropriately and take the necessary steps to get your claim heard before a court.
How effective is a wrongful termination lawyer?
Workplace issues and employment law is a complicated and ever-changing field that only a wrongful termination lawyer can fully understand. An effective lawyer knows the ins and outs of the law from all angles, including unfair dismissal, redundancy, restraint of trade and more.
To find a wrongful termination lawyer online, make sure you request a free quote and compare them to two or three other places. An effective wrongful termination lawyer will have a whole team behind them of junior solicitors and paralegals, etc. Choose one with years of experience and an impressive past record.
Do I need this type of lawyer?
If you have a legitimate case, then you'll want to engage the services of a wrongful termination lawyer. They know how to navigate the system and which authorities to contact to file your complaint. A wrongful termination lawyer will also represent you in court and make sure you get fair compensation.
How do I get a free quote for a wrongful termination lawyer?
After you've narrowed down your search for online lawyers to three or four, fill out the online request forms and ask for a free quote. Many of these sites will offer free consultation and fixed-fee quotes.
- Lawpath. Get three free proposals from their lawyer marketplace that you can access when you create an account with them. It gives you the opportunity to compare lawyers before you hire one. Contacting them is easy, just call or chat directly from your account.
- Turnbull Hill Lawyers. They've been in business since 1969 and offer a full range of legal services, including wrongful termination. They provide free quotes upon request and promise excellent value for money. Call or email for a consultation and a fixed fee quote.
- Foulsham & Geddes. Foulsham & Geddes has been in business since 1973 and offers a wide range of legal services, including wrongful termination. They provide free quotes and are open to discussing blended rates, capped fees, fixed prices, value pricing, staged costing, and event costing.
More guides on Finder
Unfair dismissal lawyers
Read about how a lawyer specialising in unfair dismissal can help you protect your rights and guide you through a challenging time.
Share sale agreement templates
Learn about the key points of share sale agreements and find templates you can download and customise to your needs.
Unincorporated joint venture agreement templates
Create a watertight joint venture agreement with the help of a legal template.
Incorporated joint venture agreement templates
Use a customisable template to help ensure your incorporated joint venture agreement is legally sound.
Service delivery agreement templates
How to download and customise a service delivery agreement to quickly protect your business.
Unsecured loan agreement templates
How to craft a legally binding contract with the help of a template.
Travel agency agreement templates
There's no need to start from scratch with a professionally-made template you can download.
Event planning contracts
Use a legal document template to craft an agreement that offers clarity on what's expected from all parties.
Hire agreement template
How to make sure everything's above board if you plan to rent out equipment to your customers.
Turnbull Hill Lawyers review
Get expert legal advice on all your family and business matters in Sydney and Newcastle with Turnbull Hill Lawyers.
Ask an Expert