We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
As soon as you start a business, you need to put health and safety practices in place. A workplace safety lawyer can help you set up a safe physical and psychosocial work environment, including critical incident management advice and policy implementation.
Find out how to engage workplace safety lawyers and how they work.
Where can I find a workplace safety lawyer online?
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
Does your company belong in this list?
What's in this guide?
- Where can I find a workplace safety lawyer online?
- What is a workplace safety lawyer?
- When should I use a workplace safety lawyer?
- Workplace safety lawyers vs corporate lawyers
- What does a workplace safety lawyer do and not do?
- How effective is a workplace safety lawyer?
- Do I need a lawyer for workplace safety?
- Where to get a free quote for a workplace safety lawyer
What is a workplace safety lawyer?
Workplace Health and Safety is about protecting the health, safety and welfare of employees (including contractual and remote workers) and other people at work. It is a requirement of employment law alongside anti-discrimination and workplace relations.
A workplace safety lawyer can help draft and review policies on maintaining a safe working environment. They assess and monitor the business' compliance with workplace regulations.
When should I use a workplace safety lawyer?
Safety in the workplace is mandatory. A workplace safety lawyer can draft policies to minimise the risk of injury and illness at the workplace as well as reduce the cost of injury and workers' compensation. Every business should have a workplace safety lawyer as the lack of safety regulations can result in prosecution, fines and loss of employees.
Workplace safety lawyers vs corporate lawyers
A corporate lawyer deals with contract law, tax law, accounting and other laws specific to the business field they work in. Generally, corporate lawyers help structure businesses during the transaction or deal-making stage.
Unlike corporate lawyers, a workplace safety lawyer specialises in employment laws related to the protection of the rights and responsibilities of the business and its employees. They are especially focused on the physical and mental wellbeing of the employees.
What does a workplace safety lawyer do and not do?
What they do
A workplace safety lawyer guides businesses in providing and maintaining:
- A safe work environment
- Safe machinery and structures
- Safe use, handling and storage of machinery
- Adequate facilities
- Any information, training instruction or supervision needed for safety
- The health of workers and conditions at the workplace
What they don't do
Workplace safety lawyers do not deal with acquisitions, corporate financing, corporate restructuring, insolvency, litigation or mergers.
How effective is a workplace safety lawyer?
A workplace safety lawyer will be extremely effective. They can make sure your policies are air-tight and cover everything, and they can also help you improve your safety practices.
Do I need a lawyer for workplace safety?
Health and safety obligations may differ across states and territories and can be quite complex. Employers need to provide adequate training and instruction and ensure employees are qualified to perform their required tasks.
A workplace safety lawyer can advise you on your obligations to help minimise the potential of risk and injury to the employees. Should the worst occur, a workplace safety lawyer will have experience with court procedures. They'll know what information you will need for your case and how to present the document and witnesses. if any unfair tactics are used against you, they'll be well equipped to handle it.
Where to get a free quote for a workplace safety lawyer
- Lawpath. Lawpath lets you compare fixed price quotes of different lawyers from its team of experts. You can also find legal guides and legal document templates.
- LegalVision. LegalVision's employment specialists can assist with employment law advice and contract drafting with a quick turnaround time.
- employsure. The employsure team is available 24/7 via a call helpline. employsure helps by giving advice, support and documentation to comply with Australia's Fair Work Act.
- Fair Work Helpline. Provided by employsure, this helpline provides free and confidential initial advice for small business owners. The helpline is available 24/7.
- sprintlaw. The legally trained consultants at sprintlaw provide a fixed-fee quote to speak with a lawyer through a platform of your choice.
More guides on Finder
Best Australian EOFY sales 2021: Dyson, eBay + heaps more
Score big this end of financial year with 85% off homewares, 80% off fashion and 60% off tech.
Madison Beer and Vanessa Hudgens launch skincare brand Know Beauty
Know Beauty includes cleansers, moisturisers and serums rooted in DNA personalisation. Here's how you can get your hands on it.
2020 MG HS Review: First impression
MG has just launched their new HS SUV, which will replace the current GS.
Amazon Prime Day Australia 2021: 11 great deals you can still get
Forgot that Prime Day was on? Don't panic! Here are 11 unmissable deals you can still get today.
Amazon Prime Day: Best global store deals to shop before time runs out
Samsung, Hasbro, KitchenAid, Lenovo, Nautica - take advantage of these Prime Day deals before they disappear.
Barefoot Investor: How to watch Scott Pape’s Money Movement docu-series online
This fresh docu-series features the one and only Barefoot Investor.
How to buy SPDR S-and-P World ex Australia Hedged Fund units
Steps to owning and managing SPDR S and P World ex Australian (Hedged) Fund ETF units.
Amazon Prime Day Australia 2021: All the best deals from Day 2
Here are all the best deals from Amazon Prime Day Australia's second day - including the return of dirt-cheap Nintendo Switch consoles.
Ask an Expert