We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
All workplace environments need to be hygienic and safe for both employees and visitors. A well written Workplace Hygiene Policy is the best way to ensure a clean workplace is maintained.
Here, we've explained exactly what to include in your policy and how to find a free template to make sure it's as effective as possible.
What's in this guide?
- What is a Workplace Hygiene Policy?
- When should I use a Workplace Hygiene Policy?
- What does a Workplace Hygiene Policy include?
- How effective is a Workplace Hygiene Policy?
- Do I need a lawyer to write my Workplace Hygiene Policy?
- Get access to customisable Workplace Hygiene Policy templates online
- How do I write a Workplace Hygiene Policy?
- Where to get free legal documents and templates like a Workplace Hygiene Policy
- Frequently asked questions
What is a Workplace Hygiene Policy?
A Workplace Hygiene Policy covers the cleanliness, appearance and habits of appearance. Because hygiene can be a sensitive topic for business owners and HR professionals, having a policy helps ease the awkwardness. The main role of a Workplace Hygiene Policy is to let employees know what is expected of them.
Download this template at Lawpath
When should I use a Workplace Hygiene Policy?
Any workplace should have a Hygiene Policy set up. They are an effective way to set up provisions to protect employees from hazards at work, minimising injuries and illnesses occurring in the workplace.
When a new member of staff is hired, make sure to go over the Workplace Hygiene Policy with them. This document is usually included in the employee handbooks. By highlighting these areas, you can help approach the difficult subject of hygiene with your employee.
What does a Workplace Hygiene Policy include?
An effective Workplace Hygiene Policy should cover hygiene, cleanliness, and appearance. Some of the headers should include:
- Personal hygiene guidelines. This could cover brushing teeth, using deodorant, bathing daily, washing hands and trimming nails.
- Dress code. Specify the dress code for employees, whether it's business-casual, casual or business formal. It could be there is a difference between employees with in-person contact with clients and those not in direct contact.
- Grooming guidelines. This covers facial hair, tattoos and piercings, and makeup.
- Cleanliness guidelines. This is less about their look and more about how they maintain their workstation or desk.
- Kitchen cleanliness. A shared office kitchen often falls short in terms of hygiene. Include policies on keeping the fridge and microwave clean.
How effective is a Workplace Hygiene Policy?
Employees stand for the company they work for. They are usually who the customers interact with first and who represents the business. This is why employees need to show flawless hygiene.
Here are some of the reasons why an effective Personal Workplace Hygiene Policy can transform a company:
- The work environment can greatly influence an employee's work satisfaction. An employee who feels happy with their surroundings is usually more productive. It will encourage loyalty and reduce turnover.
- The company's image will improve. A poor workplace and employer hygiene can give a negative first impression of the business. You could even lose clients and suppliers because of it.
- Your employers will be healthier. Writing an effective Workplace Hygiene Policy can stop viruses and bacteria spreading across a workplace. This minimises workplace absences.
- Reduce slips, trips and falls. If a workplace is being cleaned on a regular basis, there is less chance of accidents occurring resulting in employees getting injured.
Do I need a lawyer to write my Workplace Hygiene Policy?
Lawyers usually do not write up a Workplace Hygiene Policy. These types of policies are usually written by HR personnel. If you don't have experience writing these types of documents, use a search engine to find a personal hygiene policy in the workplace example or template.
Get access to customisable Workplace Hygiene Policy templates online
Does your company belong in this list?
How do I write a Workplace Hygiene Policy?
The key to writing a Workplace Hygiene Policy is to make sure it's clear what is expecting of those reading it. Identify the behaviour and hygiene you want to see, often with examples.
Share these expectations in team meetings or newsletters, and include them in your staff handbook, so that new hires know what is expected of them. Explain the reasons why this is expected of them. Even if it seems obvious to you, make sure to include the negatives that will happen if they don't adhere to the policy.
Try to put up posters around the workplace that help enforce and remind people of the Workplace Hygiene Policy. It's important all these messages are cohesive.
Where to get free legal documents and templates like a Workplace Hygiene Policy
If you are unsure how to construct a document like a Personal Workplace Hygiene Policy, a template can be a great way to get an idea on what to include. Here is a selection of websites that allow you to view or download a Workplace Hygiene Policy for free.
- Lawpath. Lawpath is an online legal resource for small businesses and entrepreneurs. Download a range of free documents including workplace policies, but you must sign-up to access customisation options.
- LegalVision. LegalVision offers users unlimited use of legal document templates for a small monthly payment.
- Sentriet. Sentrient helps businesses put together compliance documents. They offer guidance as well as templates and demonstrations.
- Employment Hero. These software creators also provide workplace policies like those that cover personal hygiene.
Frequently asked questions
Can an employee be fired for bad personal hygiene?
Yes, an employee can be dismissed for having poor personal hygiene. It's important that an employer makes this dismissal not too harsh or unreasonable. The hygiene issue has to be so bad it disrupts the workplace, their job and your company as a whole.
What do I do if an employer has bad personal hygiene?
This is an awkward conversation for all parties. The person will probably feel deeply embarrassed so approach the topic with caution. Here are some tips with resolving the situation:
- Find a private space to talk with no co-worker present.
- Be direct, but not hurtful.
- Give a concrete example.
- Give a reason why it's a problem and who it is affecting.
- Let them respond. They may be hurt and defensive.
- Take into consideration culture and health factors. Some medical issues can cause symptoms that appear like a personal hygiene issue.
More guides on Finder
How to start a curtains and blinds business
Get all the important details on starting your own curtains and blinds business.
How to start an electronic repairs business
Turn your passion for electronics into a profitable company.
How to start a wallpaper business
Equip yourself with the right know-how to open your own wallpaper business.
How to start a fitness business
Read these top tips to help you launch a successful fitness company.
How to start an asbestos removal business
Your comprehensive guide to starting an asbestos removal company.
How to start an ebook writing business
Start your own eBook writing business with our guide to the skills, equipment and legal documents you’ll need.
How to start an entertainment business
Here's everything you need to know to set up and grow your entertainment business.
How to start a user testing business
Monetise your ability to help companies with their products and services.
How to start an accounting business
Find out what you need to know before starting an accounting business.
How to start a watchmaking business
Tap into the demand for fashion accessories by opening a watchmaking company.
Ask an Expert