Learn about this easy-to-use online dashboard that simplifies payroll, HR and timesheets for small businesses.
Established in 2018, Workful is a relatively new all-in-one payroll management platform for small and growing companies. The program allows access to both business owners and employees to manage their timesheets, request expense reimbursements and calculate payroll taxes.
In this review, we cover off exactly what the software offers, the costs, the pros and cons of using Workful, as well as other programmes that can help Australian businesses.
What is Workful?
Workful is an online software that simplifies various payroll and timesheet management tasks for both business owners and employees. It's aimed at small businesses that employ between three and 20 employees.
The primary goal of Workful is for business owners to save time on payroll management. However, thanks to their employee portal, Workful is also useful for staff.
What features does Workful offer?
Here are some of the main features offered by Workful:
For Business Owners
- Manage the company payroll
- Keep track of staff hours and holidays
- Share important documents and files with your team (i.e. expense policy or employee handbook)
- All-in-one employee records of essential information
- Automatically calculates payroll taxes.
- Easily manage time-off
- Mobile and desktop time clock for managing working hours
- Request expense and mileage reimbursements
- Keep track of their time clock history
- Manage banking and other personal information on file.
How does it work?
Workful is accessible online anytime and any place. The payroll automatically syncs when employees clock in and out, request time off, submit expense requests or update their tax withholding information. Payday payslips are provided paperless online to employees through the software.
If you're using QuickBooks for your accounting, you can easily link your accounts. This ensures your payroll and expenses are accurate at all times.
Workful also provides various reports for businesses. These include:
- Expense and mileage
- Payroll registration detail
- Tax liability
- Annual leave
If you require any support or assistance, then Workful offers an extensive help centre online. You can either contact the support team directly or browse their community question and answers.
How much does Workful cost?
Workful charges a flat rate fee of US$ 25 per month, plus US$ 5 per employee, per month. We could only find prices in US dollars. The company is currently offering a 30-day free trial.
If you're still unsure or want to find out more about Workful, they offer a 30-minute online payroll demo or a 15-minute conversation to answer any questions you might have.
What are the pros and cons of Workful?
- Affordable monthly pricing.
- Simple and straightforward interface and dashboard.
- Excellent mobile experience (available on both Android and iOS)
- Employee mobile app is simple and efficient.
- Direct deposit payments to eliminate unnecessary paperwork.
- Multiple pay rates.
- Automatically calculates payroll taxes.
- Only available for employees and contractors located in the US.
- Workful can't file payroll taxes in all states in the US.
- Currently unable to perform pay runs from its mobile app.
Alternatives to Workful in Australia
Workful's suite of features are primarily intended for US businesses. So, if Workful doesn't sound like a fit for your business then it's worth considering alternatives.
Some of your options include:
- QuickBooks. This accounting software offers small-businesses a simple way to manage payslips and timesheets. QuickBooks offers a 30-day free trial. Or, you can try their starter package for only $14 + GST per month.
- MYOB. An accounting package offered by a company based in Melbourne. They offer simple payroll solutions for Australian businesses. Start a 30-day free trial with MYOB today or purchase their essentials package from $10 + GST per month.
- Sage. Sage is an online-based accounting software to help business owners keep track of their payroll. Start a 35-day free trial with Sage today or buy the software from $20 + GST per month.
Find more information on the best payroll software in Australia.
Workful offers businesses an uncomplicated and seamless payroll experience. Some of the key features of Workful include:
- Simple payroll management
- Dashboard to keep track of employee metrics
- Employee portal for staff self-management
- Easily accessible from anywhere and available for mobile and desktop.
Workful is designed to save you time, and therefore money. The software is intuitive with access to extensive support. For its price, Workful offers great value thanks to the full range of services included. But given how this platform's main audience is companies who have operations in the US, you may well want to look at MYOB or Quickbooks. Read our review of Quickbooks.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I pay independent contractors through Workful or only employees?
Yes, it's possible to pay independent contractors by director deposit or cheque.
Can I find free payroll software online?
Many companies, including Workful, offer a free trial to their payroll software. This allows any interested customers to try the software and its features before committing to it.
Do I need payroll software or can I do payroll myself?
Payroll can be processed by yourself and you do not need software. However, these programs are designed to improve efficiency and save businesses time and ultimately money.