We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Ready to open up your office to the future faces of your industry? Work experience can help giving back to society and help prepare students for the next phase of their lives – the world of work.
Before hiring an intern, one of the first things you should get drafted is a work experience agreement. Fortunately, you won't have to start from scratch, as there's a range of templates out there to get you started on the right foot. Read on to find out more.
What's in this guide?
- What is a work experience agreement?
- Get a work experience agreement template
- More on where to get legal templates like a work experience agreement
- When should I use a work experience agreement?
- What does a work experience agreement include?
- How do I write a work experience agreement?
- Work experience agreement vs employment agreement
- How effective is a work experience agreement?
- Do I need a lawyer for a work experience agreement?
- Find more customisable legal templates online
What is a work experience agreement?
Work experience is a general term usually used to refer to work a student does for a company whilst they are still studying. Its design is to give students insight into their chosen industry and experience life in the workplace. Work experience is sometimes used interchangeably with 'internship' and 'work placement' but is generally for a shorter period of time.
A work experience agreement outlines the relationship between the business and individual as well as including a confidentiality agreement, the length of the agreement, termination rights and health and safety clauses.
Get a work experience agreement template
Download this template at Lawpath
More on where to get legal templates like a work experience agreement
There is a range of legal templates available online and these are often customisable based on your requirements before you download or print the final version.
Here are a few websites that allow you to view or download a work experience agreement template:
- Sprintlaw. One step further than a template, you can have a lawyer draft your work experience agreement for you with Sprintlaw. Packages include phone consultations and a complimentary amendment to your final draft.
- Lawpath. Lawpath is an online legal resource where you can view free samples of legal documents including an internship agreement. While you do have to sign-up to access customisation options, your first document is free.
- PDFfiller. A service that allows you to edit PDF documents online, PDFfiller has a variety of templates available including a work experience arrangement form.
Head to our guide on websites to get legal documents and templates for a full list of options, along with coupon codes to help you potentially save on your next legal template.
When should I use a work experience agreement?
A work experience agreement should be used at any time before your business enters into a new term of professional work experience with a new trainee.
What does a work experience agreement include?
The purpose of a work experience agreement is to establish the relationship between the business and the student. These are the most common elements that are included in a work experience agreement:
- Placement details. This can include dates of placement, hours of work, a summary of key activities and any special requirements such as protective clothing or equipment.
- Student's details. Contact and any important medical information should be collected here.
- Student responsibilities. A detailed list of the conditions of the student's placement that can include following workplace health and safety procedures, what to do in the event of an incident and who to notify if the student is unable to attend.
- Parent/guardian consent. This is usually applicable for student's under the age of 18 and gains consent for the student to take part in the work experience.
- Public liability/insurance. The conditions of any applicable insurance conditions that the student is covered or not covered under.
How do I write a work experience agreement?
You can certainly have a go at writing a work experience agreement on your own, but a template will make life a lot easier. You can use one as a guide to help you craft your own or make it even simpler with a customisable template.
If going at it alone, make sure the full nature of the work experience arrangement is covered in enough detail so there is no confusion on what each party is responsible for.
The term of the agreement and reasons for termination should be covered and, if there is confidential information involved, a confidentiality agreement can be included or attached to cover the length of the agreement or until the information is no longer confidential.
Work experience agreement vs employment agreement
A work experience agreement is used in situations where the purpose of your relationship is to provide a meaningful learning, training or skill development experience. According to Fair Work Australia, a good indication of a work experience arrangement is when the main benefit of the arrangement is to the student doing the placement.
An employment agreement, on the other hand, is used when there is an employment relationship and the arrangement involves productive work to assist with the ordinary operation of the business or organisation. In this situation, you can use an employment agreement template instead.
How effective is a work experience agreement?
A carefully drafted work experience agreement can ensure both parties understand the terms of the work experience relationship. Further, it ensures your interests are protected and that sensitive information is kept confidential.
Do I need a lawyer for a work experience agreement?
No, you don't technically need a lawyer to prepare your work experience agreement. You may, however, want to consider finding legal support to ensure the work experience meets the criteria as outlined by Fair Work Australia if there are any doubts.
Find more customisable legal templates online
Does your company belong in this list?
Ask an Expert