Get a Visa credit card that offers global access to funds, and charges the same low rate on purchases and cash advances.
As a Woolworth Employees’ Credit Union (WECU) member you can get a low rate Visa credit card that charges a standard interest rate on all transactions. This card offers up to 55 interest-free days on purchases and charges a nominal annual fee.
|Product Name||Woolworths Employees Credit Union Visa Credit Card|
|Purchase rate (p.a.)||13.45% p.a.|
|Annual fee||$25 p.a.|
|Interest Free Period|
The interest-free period on purchases is the period or number of days you do not have to pay interest on your card purchases. You will be charged interest either from the day you make a purchase or from the statement date, unless you pay the closing balance in full by the due date (or within the interest-free period) on your statement.
|Up to 55 days on purchases|
|Cash advance rate (p.a.)||13.45% p.a.|
|Min credit limit|
This is the lowest credit card limit that you can request. It is possible to apply for a higher credit card limit but not a lower one than this figure.
|Minimum Monthly Repayment||3% of the outstanding balance or $0.00 whichever is greater|
|Foreign Currency Conversion Fee (VISA)|
Foreign currency conversion fees are charged when you make a transaction that is converted by a credit card network, such as MasterCard, Visa or American Express, from Australian dollars to a foreign currency. You’ll also incur a currency conversion fee if you make a purchase or obtain a cash advance in Australian dollars while overseas or shopping online with a foreign merchant or financial institution.
|2.5% of transaction value|
|Complimentary Travel Insurance||No|
|Complimentary Travel Insurance Cover||N/A|
|Available To Temporary Residents||No|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
|Available to Temporary Residents||No|
|Credit Rating Requirement|
Credit rating requirement is provided only as a guide. Understanding your credit file helps you make more informed decisions in regards to your finances. Learn more about what this means here.
|Min Credit Limit||$2,000|
|Annual Fee||$25 p.a.|
|Minimum Repayment||3% of the outstanding balance or $0.00 whichever is greater|
|Cash Advance Fee||$1.50|
|Foreign Currency Conversion Fee (VISA)||2.5% of transaction value|
|Gambling Transactions Allowed||No|
Woolworths Employees’ Credit Union Credit Card review
If you’re an existing WECU member (or looking to become one) and wish to get a new basic credit card, the Visa credit card on offer, the Visa credit card could be of value. This is mainly because, unlike most credit cards, this card charges the same low interest on purchases as well as cash advances. Plus, if you use this card in the right manner you can make use of up to 55 interest-free days on purchases. You can also use this card to consolidate debts with a balance transfer offer.
Benefits of Woolworths Employees' Credit Union Visa Credit Card
Some of the perks you can expect include:
- Low rate. Most Australian credit cards charge higher cash advance rates when compared to their purchase rates, but this is not the case with the WECU Visa credit card. With this card, you pay the same low ongoing interest on purchases and cash advances alike.
- Use for balance transfers. You can use this card to transfer balances from an existing card and repay them at a lower rate. As the balance transfer is not restricted by a promotional offer, you can pay it off in your own time. Plus, WECU doesn’t charge any fees on balance transfers.
- Easy access to funds. As a Visa card, you can use this card wherever you see the Visa logo in over 200 countries worldwide. You can also use the card for online and phone transactions.
- Fee free transactions. You can make unlimited banking transactions, bill payments via BPAY and direct debits for free. Keep in mind that daily limits will apply when making online transactions.
Features of the Woolworths Employees' Credit Union Visa Credit Card
Compare the following features when considering this card:
- Annual fee. Expect to pay an ongoing annual fee of $25 for as long as your credit card account remains active.
- Interest rate. A standard low rate of 13.45% p.a. applies on purchases, cash advances, and balance transfers.
- Interest-free days. If you pay your account’s closing balance in full every month you can make use of as many as 55 interest-free days on purchases.
- Cash advances. Interest-free days don’t apply on cash advances, and you will have to pay a cash advance fee of $1.50 for each cash advance.
- Replacement card. You can get a replacement card in Australia for $10, and if you need one when overseas, you get one at cost price.
- Conversion fees. When you use this card for overseas transactions, you have to pay 2.5% of the transaction amount as transaction fees.
- Visa payWave. This technology gives you the ability to use your credit card to make contactless payments of less than $100.
- Card security. This chip card offers more protection against fraud when compared to magnetic strip cards. Verified by Visa provides additional security in the online world, and Visa’s Zero Liability policy protects cardholders from unauthorised transactions.
How to Apply for the Woolworths Employees' Credit Union Visa Credit Card
To apply for this Visa credit card you should be a Woolworths Employees’ Credit Union member. You can apply for membership as an existing or retired employee of the Woolworths (Aust) Limited group of companies, or as a family member of one.
You can apply for the WECU Visa card online, and to do so now simply click on the ‘Go to Site’ button. Bear in mind you’ll have to meet the following eligibility criteria to qualify:
- You’re at least 18 years old
- You’re an Australian citizen or permanent Australian resident
- You don’t have poor creditworthiness
Make sure to have the following information handy:
- Personal details like your complete name, marital status, date of birth, and ages of dependents
- Contact details like your residential address, phone number, and email address
- Your employer’s name and contact details
- Details about your income, assets, expenses, and liabilities
If you’re looking for a standard low rate across all transactions, the WECU Visa credit card could be of value to you. As it’s not the only card of its kind on the market, make sure to compare your options before applying.
Frequently asked questions
Can I get this card without becoming a Woolworths Employees’ Credit Union member?
Unfortunately, you cannot. If you’re applying for the credit card as a non-member, you’ll have to become a member in order to receive your card.
Do I have to pay any money to become a WECU member?
To become a member you have to purchase a $10 share. If you decide to stop using the services of WECU down the road, you can get a refund of this amount.
How much time does it take to complete the online application?
You can complete the online application in a matter of minutes, provided you have easy access to all the required information.