Woolworths Building and Contents Insurance Review
It is easy to take for granted all the time, effort and money that has gone into turning a block of land, a collection of personal items, some walls and a roof, into a home. However, if it came down to having to replace and rebuild everything in your home because of damage or disaster, the costs would be almost insurmountable.
This is why it is so important to insure your biggest and one of your most valuable of assets. A house is more than just a roof over your head, it is a place to grow old in with your family and enjoy for years to come. It is where you and your loved ones can come together to make and relive memories. The value of your home as a whole is more than just the sum of its parts, which is why you need the right building and contents insurance.
Benefits and Inclusions in Woolworths Building and Contents Insurance
The building covered by your Woolworths insurance extends to the construction of your home, including any outbuildings such as a garage. The contents covered in your insurance include household goods and personal belongings that are kept in your home not including:
- Plant life
- Unset precious or semi-precious stones
- Motorised vehicles such as caravans, trailers or motorbikes
- Tools used in connection with a business.
There are various events that your Woolworths Building and Contents Insurance policy will protect you against. Below is a list of insured events and their specific inclusions and exclusions, which include:
- Fire and explosion. Fire does not cover for loss or damage to a heat resistant item such as an iron, dryer, heater or cooking appliance if it has ignited. Where there is a fire with no flame, for example where scorch marks are caused by a cigarette burn or a radiator, you cannot claim for damage or loss. You are also not covered for a fire where the ignition was caused by any mineral spirit or flammable substance.
- Storm, rainwater and flood. Storm, rainwater and flood cover do not protect you for damage to swimming pool covers, retaining walls, fences, pathways, external shade cloth or shade sails or textile awnings and blinds. You are also not covered if water enters your building as the result of renovations or alterations or for damage by water that has seeped into your building. Gradual damage from rainwater is not covered, nor is damage to external paintwork.
- Earthquake, tsunami and volcanic eruption. Your home and contents are covered by Woolworths insurance in the event of damage caused by an earthquake, tsunami or volcanic eruption.
- Lightning. You are also covered for loss or damage to your building and contents caused by lightning.
- Malicious damage including vandalism. You are covered for loss or damage as the result of vandalism, unless the damage is caused by someone who lives in your home or is on your property with your consent, this includes tenants.
- Theft. Your building and contents insurance covers you for loss or damage as the result of theft, unless the theft is by someone who lives in your home, someone there with your consent or by your tenants. You will also not be covered for theft that occurs while your home is not furnished for habitation or theft of items from a common or public area of the property.
- Impact. You are covered by Woolworths Insurance for impact caused by a falling tree branch, debris falling from space, a motor vehicle or trailer, power or communication pole, an aircraft or watercraft, a satellite dish or from a television aerial that breaks or collapses. You are not insured for loss or damage from tree roots, tree felling or tree lopping on your property.
- Riot. You are covered for loss or damage as the result of a riot, civil commotion or industrial unrest. You are not covered for loss or damage sustained after the first 72 hours
- Bursting, leaking, discharge or overflow of water or liquid. This feature includes coverage for loss or damage as the result of bursting, leaking or overflow of pipes, taps, baths, hot water systems, toilets, dishwashers, washing machines, basins, refrigerators, air conditioners, roof gutters, rainwater downpipes, drainage and sewer systems or aquariums. Woolworths Insurance will also pay a benefit of up to $500 to search for the unknown source of a leak, if the water has caused damage to your building or contents.
- Accidental glass breakage. Woolworths building and contents insurance covers the cost to replace building related items such as window glass, shower screens, other fixed glass, toilets, baths and basins. This feature also includes cover for contents such as mirrors and fixed glass within furniture.
Additional Benefits Included with Woolworths Building and Contents Insurance
In addition to cover for the sum insured for your building and contents, Woolworths Insurance also offer the following Additional Benefits as part of your building and contents insurance policy:
- Legal liability. Provides you with up to $20 million for any one event where you face costs for being sued by another party for loss, damage or injury as the result of your negligence. You are covered for a benefit of up to $20 million for both your building insurance that offers homeowner’s liability and for up to $20 million under your contents insurance that protects you with personal liability insurance.
- Accidental damage. If you have chosen the Standard Cover option in your building and contents insurance, this feature is not included. However, with the Comprehensive Cover option, you will be covered for the replacement cost of your building, and the replacement cost of contents that are insured against unintentional damage.
- Removal of debris and fees. You have $10,000 of cover under your building insurance and $10,000 under your contents cover to pay for the reasonable costs associated with demolishing and removing any building debris, and any council fees, and costs to remove contents debris. This amount is $10,000 for standard insurance and $15,000 for comprehensive.