Wine tasting in Sydney: Tours and Courses
A round-up of the top wine-tasting experiences in and around Sydney.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder .
The countryside around Sydney is lined with vineyards. To the north there’s the Hunter Valley with its plummy shirazes and crisp citrusy semillons, and to the south there’s the Southern Highlands, the home of herby sauvignon blancs and oaky cabernet sauvignons.
To get a real feel for what these regions have to offer in terms of tipples, you have to take a vineyard tour. Here are a few of the top options, available from Sydney as well as an option or two for if you want to taste the best but don't want to leave the city.
Where can I go wine tasting and touring in and around Sydney?
- Sydney city centre
- Hunter Valley
- The Blue Mountains
- The Southern Highlands
Our top picks:
Best for price: Wine Tasting and Cheese at Dryridge Estate – For 2 from RedBalloon
- Pay just $55 for wine tasting for two
- Sample six different Dryridge vintages
- Sip your drinks in view of the hazy Blue Mountains
- Tuck into a cheese plate with your wine
Best for value: Hunter Valley Wine Tour with Cheese, Chocolate and Organic Vodka Tasting from Experience Oz
- Spend a day tasting wine, cheese and chocolate for $135
- Linger over a lazy lunch with more wine
- Do the rounds through three boutique wineries
- Try organic vodka
Best for wine tasting and tour length: 2-Day Hunter Valley Small-Group Eco-Tour from Viator
- Spend two full days exploring the Hunter Valley
- See native wildlife at the Australian Reptile Park
- Sip local wines at boutique wineries
- Stay overnight in the unhurried town of Pokolbin
Best for families: Hunter Valley Wine and Wildlife Tour from Sydney Including Walkabout Wildlife Park from Viator
- Spend a day getting to know the vineyards of New South Wales
- Bring the kids along for just $90, or $75 for infants
- Get the little ones smiling as they meet the animals at Walkabout Wildlife Park
- Put a smile on your own face during tastings at a boutique winery famous for its semillon
Best for romance Picnic Among the Vines with Wine Tasting Masterclass - For 2 from RedBalloon
- Indulge in a premium wine tasting for two at Audrey Wilkinson vineyards
- Pick up your blanket and hamper and choose your own nook to enjoy a picnic
- Linger over crusty breads, meats, cheeses and chocolates
- Raise a toast with a bottle of estate wine
Best for corporate events and teambuilding: The Rocks Pub Walking Tour from Viator
- Spend two and a half hours getting to know the pubs around The Rocks
- Sample wine, beer or cider in four different pubs
- Learn about the legendary residents of The Rocks between sips
- Visit Sydney’s oldest boozer
Does your company belong in this list?
Wine tasting/wine tour companies compared
|Book with||Price (from)||Location||Duration (from)||Extras/inclusions||Suitable for|
|Viator||$115||Hunter Valley, Shoalhaven Coast, Blue Mountains||Full day||Lunches, wilderness tours, helicopter flights.||Adults, couples, small groups|
|RedBalloon||$55||Hunter Valley, Blue Mountains, Sydney CBD||2 hours||Horse riding, lunches, platters||Adults, couples, small groups|
|Experience Oz||$135||Hunter Valley||Full day||Lunch, food tastings||Adults, couples, groups|
|Get Your Guide||$109||Hunter Valley||Full day||Dinners, food tasting, harbour cruises||Adults, couples, small groups|
Deals on wine-tasting courses and tours in Sydney
Popular Travel coupon codes
|Last checked||Code description||Code|
|27 Oct 2020||Extra $50 off Sydney and NSW stays||NSW****|
|27 Oct 2020||Up to 75% off Australia activities + an extra up to 20% off with code||TIC****|
|23 Oct 2020||$1 wine tastings in the Hunter Valley||WIN****|
|21 Oct 2020||Northern Territory activities from $36 + and extra $10 off off with code||FDR****|
|21 Oct 2020||Extra $10 off site-wide with code||FDR****|
More guides on Finder
Klook’s new tour brings a taste of Europe to the Hunter Valley: Here’s our review
Here's exactly what you can expect from Klook's latest Hunter Valley tour.
Sydney date ideas: Art events in October 2020
Fill your October agenda with these artistic dates around the city.
Family getaways from Canberra to put smiles on their dials
Break out of the big city and explore the local townships, national parks and beaches with your brood these school holidays.
10 NSW resorts that will whisk you away to paradise
From hitting the waves of Byron Bay to enjoying the peaceful countryside around Bowral, these are our favourite resort destinations.
11 romantic getaways in the Sunshine Coast Hinterland for secluded luxury
Escape to the lush Sunshine Coast hinterland and stay at accommodation made for two with our top picks on where to stay for a romantic getaway.
8 romantic getaways in the Hunter Valley
From award-winning chateaus and luxury farm stays to secluded retreats, these romantic getaways in the Hunter Valley will have you swooning.
Where to eat truffles in Sydney for date night – A couple of travel makers
Seven cafes and restaurants serving up truffle dishes for your next date night in Sydney.
Family getaways in Victoria for memories that’ll last a lifetime
From coastal tracks to national parks, river cruises to white water rafting, Victoria has it all, so why not make your next family holiday a local one?
How to experience Italy in Sydney | A couple of travel makers
Experience a taste of Italy in Sydney by checking out these authentic restaurants, Romanesque historical architecture and a Gothic cathedral.
South Australia travel restrictions: What can I do in October 2020?
Here's everything you need to know on the current South Australia travel restrictions.
Ask an Expert