Wine tasting in Sydney: Tours and Courses
A round-up of the top wine-tasting experiences in and around Sydney.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
The countryside around Sydney is lined with vineyards. To the north there’s the Hunter Valley with its plummy shirazes and crisp citrusy semillons, and to the south there’s the Southern Highlands, the home of herby sauvignon blancs and oaky cabernet sauvignons.
To get a real feel for what these regions have to offer in terms of tipples, you have to take a vineyard tour. Here are a few of the top options, available from Sydney as well as an option or two for if you want to taste the best but don't want to leave the city.
Where can I go wine tasting and touring in and around Sydney?
- Sydney city centre
- Hunter Valley
- The Blue Mountains
- The Southern Highlands
Our top picks:
Best for price: Wine Tasting and Cheese at Dryridge Estate – For 2 from RedBalloon
- Pay just $55 for wine tasting for two
- Sample six different Dryridge vintages
- Sip your drinks in view of the hazy Blue Mountains
- Tuck into a cheese plate with your wine
Best for value: Hunter Valley Wine Tour with Cheese, Chocolate and Organic Vodka Tasting from Experience Oz
- Spend a day tasting wine, cheese and chocolate for $135
- Linger over a lazy lunch with more wine
- Do the rounds through three boutique wineries
- Try organic vodka
Best for wine tasting and tour length: 2-Day Hunter Valley Small-Group Eco-Tour from Viator
- Spend two full days exploring the Hunter Valley
- See native wildlife at the Australian Reptile Park
- Sip local wines at boutique wineries
- Stay overnight in the unhurried town of Pokolbin
Best for families: Hunter Valley Wine and Wildlife Tour from Sydney Including Walkabout Wildlife Park from Viator
- Spend a day getting to know the vineyards of New South Wales
- Bring the kids along for just $90, or $75 for infants
- Get the little ones smiling as they meet the animals at Walkabout Wildlife Park
- Put a smile on your own face during tastings at a boutique winery famous for its semillon
Best for romance Picnic Among the Vines with Wine Tasting Masterclass - For 2 from RedBalloon
- Indulge in a premium wine tasting for two at Audrey Wilkinson vineyards
- Pick up your blanket and hamper and choose your own nook to enjoy a picnic
- Linger over crusty breads, meats, cheeses and chocolates
- Raise a toast with a bottle of estate wine
Best for corporate events and teambuilding: The Rocks Pub Walking Tour from Viator
- Spend two and a half hours getting to know the pubs around The Rocks
- Sample wine, beer or cider in four different pubs
- Learn about the legendary residents of The Rocks between sips
- Visit Sydney’s oldest boozer
Does your company belong in this list?
Wine tasting/wine tour companies compared
|Book with||Price (from)||Location||Duration (from)||Extras/inclusions||Suitable for|
|Viator||$115||Hunter Valley, Shoalhaven Coast, Blue Mountains||Full day||Lunches, wilderness tours, helicopter flights.||Adults, couples, small groups|
|RedBalloon||$55||Hunter Valley, Blue Mountains, Sydney CBD||2 hours||Horse riding, lunches, platters||Adults, couples, small groups|
|Experience Oz||$135||Hunter Valley||Full day||Lunch, food tastings||Adults, couples, groups|
|Get Your Guide||$109||Hunter Valley||Full day||Dinners, food tasting, harbour cruises||Adults, couples, small groups|
Deals on wine-tasting courses and tours in Sydney
More guides on Finder
Best wine clubs and subscription services in Australia
We’ve done the hard work to find the best wine clubs and subscription services for Australian wine drinkers.
Things to do on Boxing Day in Perth
Here are the top experiences you can book on Boxing Day to make the most of your day off. Plus, discover the restaurants, cafes and bars open, too.
Campervan hire in Sydney | Where to book, what to know
Find your perfect home on wheels with campervan rentals in The Harbour City.
Klook’s new tour brings a taste of Europe to the Hunter Valley: Here’s our review
Here's exactly what you can expect from Klook's latest Hunter Valley tour.
Sydney date ideas: Art events in October 2020
Fill your October agenda with these artistic dates around the city.
Family getaways from Canberra to put smiles on their dials
Break out of the big city and explore the local townships, national parks and beaches with your brood these school holidays.
10 NSW resorts that will whisk you away to paradise
From hitting the waves of Byron Bay to enjoying the peaceful countryside around Bowral, these are our favourite resort destinations.
11 romantic getaways in the Sunshine Coast Hinterland for secluded luxury
Escape to the lush Sunshine Coast hinterland and stay at accommodation made for two with our top picks on where to stay for a romantic getaway.
8 romantic getaways in the Hunter Valley
From award-winning chateaus and luxury farm stays to secluded retreats, these romantic getaways in the Hunter Valley will have you swooning.
8 romantic getaways in South Australia
Indulge in spa baths, private courtyards, wide decks overlooking farmland and outdoor mineral pools at these romantic getaways throughout South Australia.
Ask an Expert