Will Foxtel Play rebrand as Foxtel Now?
Rebranding and an Apple-TV-style streaming hub set to be launched soon.
The very last of those is Foxtel’s IPTV streaming service, and according to reports in the AFR, it’s a brand that Foxtel is apparently set to redefine as "Foxtel Now", alongside a new smaller streaming hub device to allow consumers to access the service.
The new "hockey puck" described device would go head to head with devices such as Apple TV, Telstra TV and Fetch TV Mini, although Foxtel’s ambition for the service-formally-known-as-Foxtel-Play encompasses delivery through multiple devices. Right now, you can access Foxtel Play through PC, Mac, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Telstra TV and selected LG, Sony and Samsung Smart TVs, and it seems unlikely Foxtel would drop those platforms for a new device.
The AFR’s report notes it is expected the same manufacturer that produces Foxtel's IQ3 set top boxes will manufacture the new smaller TV streaming device, but decisions around manufacturers meant it missed a proposed May launch date for the device. Foxtel is said to be in discussions to include Stan and Netflix streaming capabilities to the device, but it’s apparently not planning to launch a device this year with an integrated TV tuner on-board, similar to the Fetch Mini.
- New on Netflix Australia and SBS On-Demand in April 2019
- AFL round 1: Teams, start times, fixtures and where to watch
- Full 2019 NRL draw and NRL results – Entire NRL fixtures list and schedule
- Kayo Sports review: updated for 2019 | iOS, Android, PC, Mac, Chromecast, Android TV and Apple TV
- How to watch AFL online overseas while travelling
For all the latest in TV and movie streaming, follow and subscribe below