Will Foxtel Play rebrand as Foxtel Now?
Rebranding and an Apple-TV-style streaming hub set to be launched soon.
The very last of those is Foxtel’s IPTV streaming service, and according to reports in the AFR, it’s a brand that Foxtel is apparently set to redefine as "Foxtel Now", alongside a new smaller streaming hub device to allow consumers to access the service.
The new "hockey puck" described device would go head to head with devices such as Apple TV, Telstra TV and Fetch TV Mini, although Foxtel’s ambition for the service-formally-known-as-Foxtel-Play encompasses delivery through multiple devices. Right now, you can access Foxtel Play through PC, Mac, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Telstra TV and selected LG, Sony and Samsung Smart TVs, and it seems unlikely Foxtel would drop those platforms for a new device.
The AFR’s report notes it is expected the same manufacturer that produces Foxtel's IQ3 set top boxes will manufacture the new smaller TV streaming device, but decisions around manufacturers meant it missed a proposed May launch date for the device. Foxtel is said to be in discussions to include Stan and Netflix streaming capabilities to the device, but it’s apparently not planning to launch a device this year with an integrated TV tuner on-board, similar to the Fetch Mini.
- Watch Al Pacino in Hunters on Amazon Prime: Release date, trailer, preview
- Tubi TV in Australia: Price, content, features
- Riverdale spin-off Katy Keene: Premiere date, cast, how to watch
- Star Trek: Picard on Amazon Prime Video: Should you tune in?
- New on Netflix Australia, Stan, Foxtel, Prime Video, Disney+, hayu and SBS On Demand in February 2020
For all the latest in TV and movie streaming, follow and subscribe below