Why the Zip Co share price is set to drop

Posted: 28 February 2022 12:43 pm
News
BNPL-shares-28Feb_1800x1000_Finder

Shares in the BNPL operator have slid 79% over the last 12 months and are set to continue when Z1P begins trading again.

Shares in buy now pay later (BNPL) operator Zip Co Ltd (ASX: Z1P) are currently in a trading halt, but are set to drop when trading resumes. Shares in rival Sezzle (ASX: SZL) are also in a trading halt but are likely to rise when trading returns.

What is the deal with the Zip and Sezzle stock prices

The 2 firms on Monday announced that Zip Co will acquire its smaller rival in an all-stock deal that values the US-focused Sezzle at $491 million.

Under the deal, Sezzle shareholders will receive 0.98 Zip shares for every share held, implying a 22% premium to the closing stock price last week. That should help boost Sezzle's stock to bring it on level with the bid price.

Meanwhile, Zip said it will raise nearly $200 million through a share placement and a share purchase plan to partly fund the "transformational" deal. Zip is issuing shares at $1.90 each, a 14% discount to Friday's closing price of $2.21, so its stock should slip when trading resumes on account of the equity dilution.

The deal is expected to close by the end of September, at which point Zip shareholders will own 78% of the combined entity while Sezzle holders will keep the remaining 22% stake.

Scale, profitability

The deal is expected to deliver immediate scale and enhanced growth, Zip CEO and co-founder Larry Diamond said. "Combining with Sezzle positions us as a leading global BNPL provider and prioritises our ability to win in the important US market," he said in a statement to the ASX.

The deal comes about a month after US payments giant Block (ASX: SQ2), completed its buyout of BNPL leader Afterpay in a record $39 billion deal.

Zip and Sezzle have been in merger discussions for months to create the largest pure play BNPL operator on the ASX.

The market has long speculated about a merger between Zip Co and Sezzle because of a confluence of factors, including a ramp-up in competition, looming interest rate increases and rising regulatory risks facing the sector.

Zip underlined the importance of the merger, reporting a first-half loss of $172.8 million, lower than the $455.9 million loss a year earlier. Revenue for the 6 months to 31 December jumped 89% to $302.2 million. Its active consumer numbers were up 73.7% to 9.9 million.

However, its cost of sales more than doubled to $242.2 million from $82.8 million a year ago. Bad debts and expected credit losses also surged across the business at $148.3 million for the 6 months to December, from $29.5 million a year earlier.

Serious about investing? Here's your new unfair advantage

Ticker Nerd uses advanced software to track hundreds of signals and data points to find stocks before they blow up. Don't miss out!
Get started for free

Think Zip Co or Sezzle shares are a buy?

If you are keen to buy shares in Zip Co or Sezzle, you should consider investing through an online share trading platform.

Keep in mind that not all platforms offer the same list of stocks. Some trading platforms offer US stocks only, so make sure to select a platform that offers ASX-listed stocks.

Choose from the dozens available for Australian investors. Compare the features and fees from the plethora of trading platforms available for Australian investors.

Looking for a low-cost online broker to invest in the stock market? Compare share trading platforms to start investing in stocks and ETFs.

Disclaimer: This information should not be interpreted as an endorsement of futures, stocks, ETFs, CFDs, options or any specific provider, service or offering. It should not be relied upon as investment advice or construed as providing recommendations of any kind. Futures, stocks, ETFs and options trading involves substantial risk of loss and therefore are not appropriate for all investors. Trading CFDs and forex on leverage comes with a higher risk of losing money rapidly. Past performance is not an indication of future results. Consider your own circumstances, and obtain your own advice, before making any trades.

Get more from Finder

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on finder.com.au:

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • finder.com.au is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and Privacy & Cookies Policy.
Go to site