Fighting ovarian cancer.
Ovarian cancer is the deadliest form of gynaecological cancer, causing a fatality every 10 hours across Australia. It has a lower survival rate than both breast and cervical cancer and no early detection test exists, with 80% of women already in the advanced stages when diagnosed.
This article looks at how the White Shirt Campaign is raising awareness of this terrible disease and giving everyone the opportunity to help raise money for vital research.
What the White Shirt Campaign?
The White Shirt Campaign is an initiative started by the Ovarian Cancer Research Foundation (OCRF) in partnership with fashion chain Witchery. It raises vital funds for research and medical equipment used in the continuing search for an early detection test for ovarian cancer and improved treatment methods for those diagnosed in the later stages of the disease.
The simple message of the day is to buy a white shirt from Witchery and everything except GST will go directly to the OCRF to support their research. Everyone is encouraged to wear white to support the cause and a special collection of white apparel is available for purchase from any Witchery store.
What’s happening in 2017?
The White Shirt Campaign is held every year in May and in 2017, a number of Witchery stores across Australia and New Zealand will host White Shirt Day events, where customers are invited to participate in instore photo opportunities to show the world their support for the OCRF.
White apparel from the Witchery collection will be available for purchase both in store or online at whiteshirtcampaign.com.au and 100% of gross proceeds will go directly to the OCRF. Various community fundraising events will also be held on and around the day, including the annual media event at the Sydney Opera House for the official launch of the White Shirt Campaign.
How can I get involved in White Shirt Day?
- Buy a Witchery white shirt in store or online
- Host a white shirt fundraising event
- Share a photo of you in a white shirt on social media captioned with a message of support
- Nominate your friends and social networks to join the fight
- Use the hashtags #whiteshirtcampaign and tweet AT @ocrf @witcheryfashion
Is there anything else I can do?
- Make a donation to the OCRF online or by calling 1300 ovarian (1300 682 742)
- Make a donation in lieu of flowers at a loved one’s funeral or memorial service
- Ask guests to make a donation to the OCRF in lieu of a gift at celebrations such as birthdays, anniversaries and weddings
- Leave a cash donation or portion of your estate to the OCRF in your will
- HCF and HealthShare team up to help consumers make more informed decisions
- Number of Australians with private health insurance hits an 11 year low
- Final day to opt out of My Health Record
- Medibank is offering members a new way to save on health insurance
- Is Afterpay for dental the cheapest option?
- Deadline for opting out of My Health Record looms