Where to travel in March in Australia
Just say "yes" to that early-year break with a trip to these top locations.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Thinking that the year is going way too slowly? Staring at your calendar wondering how you can make the most of your time. Thinking you need a refresh and recharge with a short getaway?
Like you needed an excuse to pack up your bags and march into an adventure.
To get you on your way, here are our top picks to hightail it to this month.
1. Best budget destination: Yarra Valley
Surround yourself in the tranquility and beauty of one of Australia's most lauded vineyards.
March marks the beginning of harvest season throughout Australia's vineyards and is an exceptional time to explore and taste the finest each has on offer.
If you're in Melbourne, the Yarra Valley is a budget-friendly destination that won't eat up into your annual leave while if you're in Sydney, the Hunter Valley is beautiful this time of year as well.
- March weather: 22-33℃, autumn
- Top March events: Lotus flower season, Summer Days at Rochford Wines, Easter Wonderland at Yarra Valley Chocolaterie, Summer of Live Music at Yarrawood Estate and Race and Wine Day at Healesville Greyhound Association.
- Best for: Romance, relaxation, wine and cheese lovers
2. Best city to visit: Canberra
Set your sights to stun when you choose Canberra for your March trip.
Vivid might be two months away but if you can't wait that long Canberra can sate your desires. Its answer to the illuminations spectacular is Enlighten Festival. Similar to Vivid, it serves to dress the city's most iconic buildings in a splay of colour and light.
The illuminations element runs from 28 February-15 March 2020. Highlights include live performances, dinner under the stars and dinner in Parliament House.
- March weather: 21-34℃, autumn
- Top March events: Enlighten Festival, Skyfire and Canberra Balloons Spectacular.
- Best for: City breaks, weekend trips.
3. Best for beaches: Gold Coast
Relax, rewind and bask in the sunshine in the idyllic surroundings of the Gold Coast.
A family favourite, by February and March the crowds have dissipated from the Gold Coast's shores leaving you with sand to spare to get your tan on. It's northern location means that it never truly gets cold round these parts so you can expect all those T-shirt and short feels as the rest of the nation cools down.
- March weather: 28℃, autumn
- Top March events: Brazilian Carnaval, Sand Safari Arts Festival, Holi and Gold Coast Superhero Weekend.
- Best for: Family trips, romantic escapes, beach escapes, water exploration, theme parks.
When is the best time in March to take a holiday?
The turning of the seasons occurs in March and is when the southern hemisphere transitions from summer to autumn, making destinations that would otherwise be too hot to visit, pleasant. In the northern hemisphere, it's when winter turns to spring, so you'll start to see foliage reappear.
Where else is popular to visit in March?
In March, Aussies keen for a break go one of two ways. They either head north to escape the cooling temperatures or venture south to embrace the change of season.
Locally, Melbourne and Sydney are popular destinations, according to Skyscanner and the average airfare (based on 2020 prices) won’t break the bank with flights from $265.
Bali is popular for travellers looking for something a bit further afield with some warmer climates and Auckland is a reasonably priced vacation for those who are keen for the crisp cool temperatures in March.
Top 20 destinations Australians travel to in March
|City||Average airfare (return)|
|Ho Chi Minh City||$699|
- NSW Dine and Discover vouchers extended: Best ways to use yours now
- The 5 best Flight Centre EOFY travel deals
- Virgin Australia announces free flights competition for vaccinated Aussies
- 5 ways to maximise your $200 Luxury Escapes COVID-19 vouchers
- Sydney Solstice Festival 2021: 10 unmissable things to do
More guides on Finder
The 5 best Flight Centre EOFY travel deals
A tax return isn't the only thing you have to look forward to this end of financial year.
Jetstar sale launches flights from just $35 one way
EXPIRED: Down Under just got a whole lot cheaper.
7 companies offering flexible Boxing Day travel deals
Change your dates, destination or mind? These Boxing Day deals are offering fuss-free changes without the extra cost for your net trip.
Fly across Australia from $99 with Qantas’s 2020 Boxing Day sale
EXPIRED: Save on 26 December with the renowned flying kangaroo.
The 2020 Jetstar Boxing Day sale is here with fares from $29
EXPIRED: Over 50 routes are discounted across the network.
Jetstar’s Christmas sale is here and fares start from $29
EXPIRED: Santa has come a little early this year.
Nab $54 Sydney-Melbourne fares with this Jetstar sale
EXPIRED: Get your carry-ons ready for these cheap-as-chips airfares.
Sip on Margaret River wines from $149 with this Jetstar sale
EXPIRED: It's time to indulge in some of the best reds and whites Australia has on offer.
UPDATED: Western Australia border reopening | What to know
Find out everything you need to know about the Western Australia border reopening.
Jetstar Black Friday Frenzy sale: $39 flights a pop
EXPIRED: Pack your bags for the likes of Melbourne, the Gold Coast and Cairns.
Ask an Expert