Where to travel in March 2019 from Australia
Just say "yes" to that early-year break with a trip to these top locations.
Thinking that the year is going way too slowly? Staring at your calendar wondering how you can make the most of your time. Thinking you need a refresh and recharge with a short getaway?
Like you needed an excuse to pack up your bags and march into an adventure.
To get you on your way, here are our top picks to hightail it to this month.
1. Best budget destination: Yarra Valley
Surround yourself in the tranquility and beauty of one of Australia's most lauded vineyards.
March marks the beginning of harvest season throughout Australia's vineyards and is an exceptional time to explore and taste the finest each has on offer.
If you're in Melbourne, the Yarra Valley is a budget-friendly destination that won't eat up into your annual leave while if you're in Sydney, the Hunter Valley is beautiful this time of year as well.
- March weather: 22-33℃, autumn
- Top March events: Lotus flower season and Summer of Live Music at Yarra Estate.
- Best for: Romance, relaxation, wine and cheese lovers
2. Best city to visit: Canberra
Set your sights to stun when you choose Canberra for your March trip.
Vivid might be two months away but if you can't wait that long Canberra can sate your desires. Its answer to the illuminations spectacular is Enlighten Festival. Similar to Vivid, it serves to dress the city's most iconic buildings in a splay of colour and light.
The illuminations element runs from 1-17 March. Highlights include live performances, dinner under the stars and dinner in Parliament House.
- March weather: 21-34℃, autumn
- Top March events: Enlighten Festival, Skyfire, Canberra Balloons Spectacular and National Folk Festival.
- Best for: City breaks, weekend trips.
3. Best for beaches: Maldives
Relax, rewind and get romantic in the idyllic surroundings of the Maldives.
March is the end of the high season in the Maldives, so you can still catch those endless blues and whites on your camera without them being overrun by strangers. As monsoon season doesn’t start until May, you can push your holiday into April resting easy that you won’t wake up in your plush bungalow to that cringeworthy sound of rain either.
- March weather: 29–30℃, dry season.
- Top March events: None whatsoever, but why should that matter as you'll be lazing on the beach or snorkelling through clear waters your whole trip anyway.
- Best for: Honeymoons, romantic escapes, beach escapes, unwinding, water exploration.
4. Best for events: India
There's no event more colourful.
Often dubbed the Festival of Colour, the Hindu festival of Holi is celebrated in India and Nepal in time for the arrival of spring. This year it runs from 20-21 March.
- March weather: Ranges from 23-35℃, spring.
- Top March events: The Kochi-Muzhiris Biennale, Goa Carnival and Painkuni Festival.
- Best for: Cultural escapes, foodie experiences, festivals.
5. Best surprise destination: Patagonia
Prepare to be in raptures when you set eyes on the Argentinian Andes.
Argentina is a good idea all year round but if March is your game plan, spare some time for Patagonia. It's South America's southernmost region and boasts a landscape of mountains, steppes, deserts and glaciers.
The warm March weather is excellent for outdoor activities like mountain biking and kayaking as well as penguin-spotting in the Strait of Magellan. Those who love a good tipple can tuck into a month of wine festivals, which crop up all over Argentina.
- March weather: Various throughout but is generally mild and warm, autumn.
- Top March events (throughout Argentina): National Grape Harvest Festival, Afterlife Buenos Aires and Lollapalooza.
- Best for: Adventure, culture, wine.
Follow the festival: Top March events to attend
- Spring equinox: The March or spring equinox in the Northern Hemisphere is celebrated by many cultures through various traditions. This includes Nowruz in Iran which is their new year celebration, and Haru no Higan in Japan which is a seven-day festival where the Japanese pay respects to their elders. 20 March 2019 is the day to celebrate.
- Cherry blossoms: The end of March is the beginning of cherry blossom season in Japan. It’s a time when rows of cherry blossom trees bloom painting the skylines and rivers in vivid pink hues. If you think that you're too late to snap up flights to Japan think again.
When is the best time in March to take a holiday?
The turning of the seasons occurs in March and is when the southern hemisphere transitions from summer to autumn, making destinations that would otherwise be too hot to visit, pleasant. In the northern hemisphere, it's when winter turns to spring, so you'll start to see foliage reappear.
Where else is popular to visit in March?
In March, Aussies keen for a break go one of two ways. They either head north to escape the cooling temperatures or venture south to embrace the change of season.
Locally, Melbourne and Sydney are popular destinations, according to Skyscanner and the average airfare won’t break the bank with flights from $265.
Bali is popular for travellers looking for something a bit further afield with some warmer climates and Auckland is a reasonably priced vacation for those who are keen for the crisp cool temperatures in March.
Top 20 destinations Australians travel to in March
|City||Average airfare (return)|
|Ho Chi Minh City||$699|