5 places where you should travel in March
Just say “yes” to that early-year break with a trip to these top locations.
Thinking that the year is going way too slowly? Staring at your calendar wondering what you can do with that three-day long weekend? (FYI this only applies to Western Australia, South Australia, Tasmania, Australian Capital Territory and Victoria – lucky ducks). Thinking you need a refresh and recharge with a short getaway?
Like you needed an excuse to pack up your bags and march into an adventure.
To help you on your way, here are our top picks to hightail it to this month.
1. Best budget destination: Vietnam
Feel the Australian summer is coming to an end too quickly? It’s only just starting in Vietnam...
While the South East Asian nation enjoys warm to hot temperatures year round, the season hits an idyllic note in March where hot, bright and dry days are welcomed throughout. Nothing is off the cards as beaches are warm and inviting for relaxing getaways and mountains are cool and dry for adventurous ones. Flights from Australia start from $700 return but once you land, prices are cheap as chips with everyday meal prices starting from AUD$2.40. Keep on top of AirAsia's flight deals for the best prices.
- March weather: 21–23℃, winter/dry.
- Top March events: Phu Giay Festival and Chu Dong Tu Festival.
- Best for: Beach breaks, long holidays, culture, nature.
2. Best city to visit: Vegas
Walk the Vegas strip without feeling like you need to strip off the layers before you overheat in the desert town.
March is one of the best months to visit Vegas. It’s coming out of winter so the weather is pleasant, yet it’s nowhere near summer yet so you won’t feel like you need to run in and out of casinos to avoid dying of heatstroke. Not that you won’t be running in and out of casinos anyway. Or clubs. Or shows. Or bars… March also just skips out of the peak winter season (which ends February) so you’ll be a “winnaaaaar” in all respects. Even on short notice you can snap up cheap flights to Las Vegas for under $1,000 return.
- March weather: 21–26℃, spring.
- Top March events: NASCAR Weekend and your usual bevy of Vegas shows.
- Best for: Bucks nights, partying, nightlife.
3. Best for beaches: Maldives
Relax, rewind and get romantic in the idyllic surroundings of the Maldives.
March is the end of the high season in the Maldives, so you can still catch those endless blues and whites on your camera without them being overrun by strangers. As monsoon season doesn’t start until May, you can push your holiday into April resting easy that you won’t wake up in your plush bungalow to that cringeworthy sound of rain either.
- March weather: 29–30℃, dry season.
- Top March events: None whatsoever, but why should that matter as you’ll be lazing on the beach or snorkelling through clear waters your whole trip anyway.
- Best for: Honeymoons, romantic escapes, beach escapes, unwinding, water exploration.
4. Best event to attend: Holi
There's no event more colourful.
Often dubbed the Festival of Colour, the Hindu festival of Holi is celebrated in India and Nepal in time for the arrival of spring. This year it starts on the evening of 12 March.
- March weather: Ranges from 25-30℃, spring.
- Top March events: International Yoga Festivals (Uttarakhand), Thirunakkara Arattu (Kerala),
- Best for: Cultural escapes, foodie experiences, festivals.
5. Best surprise destination: Patagonia
Prepare to be in raptures when you set eyes on the Argentinian Andes.
Argentina is a good idea all year round but if March is your gameplan, spare time for Patagonia. It’s South America’s southernmost region and boasts a landscape of mountains, steppes, deserts and glaciers. The warm March weather is excellent for outdoor activities like mountain biking and kayaking as well as penguin-spotting in the Strait of Magellan. Those who love a good tipple can tuck into a month of wine festivals, which crop up all over Argentina.
- March weather: Various throughout but is generally mild and warm, autumn.
- Top March events (throughout Argentina): National Grape Harvest Festival, Lollapalooza and Festival del Vinador.
- Best for: Adventure, culture, wine.
Follow the festival: Top March events to attend
- Spring equinox: The March or spring equinox is celebrated by many cultures through various traditions. This includes Nowruz in Iran which is their new year celebration and Haru no Higan in Japan which is a seven-day festival where the Japanese pay respects to their elders. 20 March 2017 is the day to celebrate.
- Cherry blossoms: The end of March is the beginning of cherry blossom season in Japan. It’s a time when rows of cherry blossom trees bloom painting the skylines and rivers in vivid pink hues. If you think that you're too late to snap up flights to Japan think again. Air China has sale seats for under $700 return throughout March and April.
When is the best time in March to take a holiday?
The turning of the seasons occurs in March and is when the southern hemisphere transitions from summer to autumn, making destinations that would otherwise be too hot to visit, pleasant. In the northern hemisphere, it’s when winter turns to spring, so you’ll start to see foliage reappear.
Sometimes, the Easter long weekend is in March, presenting a peak period that you might prefer to avoid. Otherwise, it’s generally seen as shoulder season for many destinations.
Ready to travel? Check out our latest travel deals:
Valid on flights between 13 January - 28 March 2017 and 27 September - 22 November 2017. Sample fares include Brisbane to Istanbul for $2,011 economy, Brisbane Belgrade for $2,022 economy, Brisbane to Rabart for $2,025 and more. Other destinations include Brussels, Venice, Milan, Zurich etc. Conditions apply.
Valid on select Intrepid tours worldwide including destinations like France, Italy, Japan, Cuba, India and Cambodia. Sample tours on sale include 40% off Sail Italy - Amali to Procida, 40% off Cote d'Azur Sailing Adventure - Marseille to Nice and 30% off Croatia and Greece Sailing Adventures.
Show code & visit siteCI****After the store tab opens, come back to copy the code
Up to 20% off stays
Valid on advance bookings at participating hotels in Europe, Middle East and Africa, Asia Pacific and the Americas only and is subject to availability. Most hotels define advanced bookings as one month in advance. Subject to change. See site for details.
Up to 15% off stays
Valid at select hotels in Europe, the Middle East and Africa and subject to availability. Sample destinations include Dublin, Glasgow, Bristol, London, Helsinki, Stockholm, Vienna, Brussels, Paris, Lyon, Amsterdam, Dubai, Jeddah, Riyadh, Doha, Muscat, Kuwait, Beirut.