Compare flight, hotel, vacation and cruise packages.
Where to travel in March from Australia
Just say "yes" to that early-year break with a trip to these top locations.
While now may not be the right time to travel, these destinations can inspire your 2021 travel plans.
Thinking that the year is going way too slowly? Staring at your calendar wondering how you can make the most of your time. Thinking you need a refresh and recharge with a short getaway?
Like you needed an excuse to pack up your bags and march into an adventure.
To get you on your way, here are our top picks to hightail it to this month.
1. Best budget destination: Yarra Valley
Surround yourself in the tranquility and beauty of one of Australia's most lauded vineyards.
March marks the beginning of harvest season throughout Australia's vineyards and is an exceptional time to explore and taste the finest each has on offer.
If you're in Melbourne, the Yarra Valley is a budget-friendly destination that won't eat up into your annual leave while if you're in Sydney, the Hunter Valley is beautiful this time of year as well.
- March weather: 22-33℃, autumn
- Top March events: Lotus flower season, Summer Days at Rochford Wines, Easter Wonderland at Yarra Valley Chocolaterie, Summer of Live Music at Yarrawood Estate and Race and Wine Day at Healesville Greyhound Association.
- Best for: Romance, relaxation, wine and cheese lovers
2. Best city to visit: Canberra
Set your sights to stun when you choose Canberra for your March trip.
Vivid might be two months away but if you can't wait that long Canberra can sate your desires. Its answer to the illuminations spectacular is Enlighten Festival. Similar to Vivid, it serves to dress the city's most iconic buildings in a splay of colour and light.
The illuminations element runs from 28 February-15 March 2020. Highlights include live performances, dinner under the stars and dinner in Parliament House.
- March weather: 21-34℃, autumn
- Top March events: Enlighten Festival, Skyfire and Canberra Balloons Spectacular.
- Best for: City breaks, weekend trips.
3. Best for beaches: Gold Coast
Relax, rewind and bask in the sunshine in the idyllic surroundings of the Gold Coast.
A family favourite, by February and March the crowds have dissipated from the Gold Coast's shores leaving you with sand to spare to get your tan on. It's northern location means that it never truly gets cold round these parts so you can expect all those T-shirt and short feels as the rest of the nation cools down.
- March weather: 28℃, autumn
- Top March events: Brazilian Carnaval, Sand Safari Arts Festival, Holi and Gold Coast Superhero Weekend.
- Best for: Family trips, romantic escapes, beach escapes, water exploration, theme parks.
4. Best for events: India
There's no event more colourful.
Often dubbed the Festival of Colour, the Hindu festival of Holi is celebrated in India and Nepal in time for the arrival of spring. This year it runs from 20-21 March.
- March weather: 23-35℃, spring.
- Top March events: Goa Carnival and Painkuni Festival.
- Best for: Cultural escapes, foodie experiences, festivals.
5. Best surprise destination: Patagonia
Prepare to be in raptures when you set eyes on the Argentinian Andes.
Argentina is a good idea all year round but if March is your game plan, spare some time for Patagonia. It's South America's southernmost region and boasts a landscape of mountains, steppes, deserts and glaciers.
The warm March weather is excellent for outdoor activities like mountain biking and kayaking as well as penguin-spotting in the Strait of Magellan. Those who love a good tipple can tuck into a month of wine festivals, which crop up all over Argentina.
- March weather: Various throughout but is generally mild and warm, autumn.
- Top March events (throughout Argentina): National Grape Harvest Festival, Fiesta Nactional de la Vendima, Afterlife Buenos Aires and Lollapalooza.
- Best for: Adventure, culture, wine.
Follow the festival: Top March events to attend
- Spring equinox: The March or spring equinox in the Northern Hemisphere is celebrated by many cultures through various traditions. This includes Nowruz in Iran which is their new year celebration, and Haru no Higan in Japan which is a seven-day festival where the Japanese pay respects to their elders. 20 March is the day to celebrate.
- Cherry blossoms: The end of March is the beginning of cherry blossom season in Japan. It’s a time when rows of cherry blossom trees bloom painting the skylines and rivers in vivid pink hues. If you think that you're too late to snap up flights to Japan think again.
When is the best time in March to take a holiday?
The turning of the seasons occurs in March and is when the southern hemisphere transitions from summer to autumn, making destinations that would otherwise be too hot to visit, pleasant. In the northern hemisphere, it's when winter turns to spring, so you'll start to see foliage reappear.
Where else is popular to visit in March?
In March, Aussies keen for a break go one of two ways. They either head north to escape the cooling temperatures or venture south to embrace the change of season.
Locally, Melbourne and Sydney are popular destinations, according to Skyscanner and the average airfare won’t break the bank with flights from $265.
Bali is popular for travellers looking for something a bit further afield with some warmer climates and Auckland is a reasonably priced vacation for those who are keen for the crisp cool temperatures in March.
Top 20 destinations Australians travel to in March
|City||Average airfare (return)|
|Ho Chi Minh City||$699|
- Airlines, cruises and tours waive change and cancellation fees due to coronavirus [Updated]
- Australians advised not to travel: What to know [Updated]
- Travelling during coronavirus? Here’s what you need to know [Updated]
- What to know if your travels are affected by the domestic travel ban
- Ways to get your money back for an event cancelled due to coronavirus [Updated]
Latest travel offers
Ask an Expert