Where to buy fabulous Melbourne Cup dresses 2023
Don't get caught out by Melbourne Cup fashion. Here's where to buy the perfect dress, just in time for the races.
Spring racing fashion sales
If you're on the lookout for that perfect Melbourne Cup dress, we're on hand to steer you towards a successful look this race day.
Melbourne Cup – the race that stops a nation – is on 2 November 2021. And it doesn't matter if you find yourself trackside or bar-side, there's every excuse to get dressed up in a gorgeous dress and fascinator. Racing fashion is a little in its own league – it's elegant and it doesn't quite follow conventional fashion rules. Think bright and bubbly for Melbourne Cup (save your monochromes for Derby Day). Getting stuck? Throw on a statement headpiece and you're halfway there. But let's start with the dress...
Known for its fresh, on-trend and girly pieces, you will never be short of Melbourne Cup dress options at Forever New. With hundreds of feminine styles, this is the place to go for classic, pastel or floral race day outfits.
- You can pay with Afterpay
- Sign up to the newsletter and receive exclusive member benefits
- Free standard delivery on all orders over $75
Melbourne Cup dresses from Forever New
Irina Twist-Front Midi Dress ($189.99)
Lottie Printed Midi Dress ($139.99)
Nancy Plisse Tiered Mini Dress ($179.99)
Myer is one of the biggest stockists of fashion in Australia, and there's a huge variety of both Australian and international designers. You can order online and pick up in store, all in time for the Melbourne Cup.
- Free standard delivery on orders over $49
- Click & Collect is available
- You can pay with Afterpay
Melbourne Cup dresses from Myer
Tokito - Puff Sleeve Tiered Midi Dress in Navy ($79)
Marcs - A Spot Like Love Dress Black Multi ($129)
Stella - Night Pebble Dress in Navy ($169)
THE ICONIC stocks all the leading fashion brands, offering a multitude of race day dress options. Plus, it has a (quite frankly, life-saving) 3-hour delivery to Sydney metro areas. What more could you ask for?
- Free standard delivery and pick-up on orders over $75
- Sign up for $20 off your next order over $99
- Free and easy returns
- Afterpay is available
Melbourne Cup dresses from THE ICONIC
Katie Ford - Maiten Wrap Dress ($545)
Dazie - Centrefold Shirt Dress ($79.99)
Tommy Hilfiger - Rihanna Casual Shirtdress ($109)
MESHKI has gorgeous feminine fashions at affordable prices. There is bound to be a dress here that will make your day for the Melbourne Cup.
- Subscribe for $10 off your first order
- Free standard shipping for orders over $50 or free express shipping for orders over $100. There is also same day afternoon delivery and same day evening delivery options (both priced at $14.99).
- UNiDAYS discounts
Melbourne Cup dresses from MESHKI
Nadia Maxi Satin Dress with Back Cowl ($149)
Claire Satin Drape Back Maxi Dress ($159)
Chandra Lace Detail Satin Maxi Dress ($149)
Fashion powerhouse boohoo offers a huge dress selection, from floral numbers to bright midi dresses, peplum styles and pastel swing dresses – all suitable for the Melbourne Cup.
- Affordable price range, with sales and discounts always on offer
- Dedicated plus size section
- Afterpay is available
Melbourne Cup dresses from boohoo
Satin Cowl Neck Midi Dress ($35)
Strappy Frill Hem Midi Dress ($37.50)
Off the Shoulder Wrap Midi Dress ($35)
This is one of the original online designer stores and one of the biggest. NET-A-PORTER carries hundreds of brands and the most products of all the major stores in its category. This is where to shop if you like variety.
- iOS and Android app available
- Easy, pick-up returns
- 24/7 customer service
Melbourne Cup dresses from NET-A-PORTER
Zimmermann - Floral-print cotton-voile mini dress ($625)
Reformation Brixton shirred floral-print crepe midi dress ($451.30)
Zimmermann Pattie cutout open-back floral-print linen midi dress ($650)
City Chic has some of the prettiest dresses on the high street. As one of Australia's most-loved plus size stores, you'll be able to find the perfect spring racing dress among the fun and feminine designs in store and online.
- Free shipping on orders over $150
- Extended sizes available online
- Click and Collect is available
Melbourne Cup dresses from City Chic
Aubrey Jumpsuit - ivory ($104.96)
Vivid Floral Dress - black ($159.96)
Sorrento Floral Dress - ivory ($67.97)
Showpo is one of Australia's largest online fashion retailers. There are hundreds of styles on offer, at a range of fabulous prices. No matter what your taste or budget, Showpo will have the perfect race day outfit for you.
- Free shipping for orders over $50
- 30-day return policy
- Express shipping available
Melbourne Cup dresses from Showpo
Fancy A Spritz Mini Dress ($89.95)
Waiting So Long Dress ($99.95)
Sabella Rayon Dress ($39)
ASOS is one of the largest online shopping websites, with dresses to suit every size and budget. The retailer stocks Australian and international brands so you'll be sure to find something perfect for you.
- Afterpay is available
- Free shipping on orders over $80
- 28-day return policy
Melbourne Cup dresses from ASOS
Topshop - 70s Puff Sleeve Midi Dress ($65.50)
ASOS DESIGN - One Shoulder Seamed Midi Dress ($14.50)
ASOS EDITION - Cotton Midi Dress in Floral Print ($160)
Farfetch is a shopping platform that connects major designer stores and boutiques around the world and allows them to ship to you. Looking to do some boutique shopping in Saint Tropez or Milan? With Farfetch you can do it from your couch!
- Lower delivery fee on orders over $300
- 14-day return policy
- Same-day delivery available
Melbourne Cup dresses from Farfetch
Gestuz square-neck flared midi dress ($187)
TWINSET metallic V-neck dress ($274)
Patrizia Pepe gathered sleeveless dress ($312)
Ted Baker is all about classic style and clean cuts. If you're after a fancy frock that just screams out for spring, Ted Baker should surely be your first stop.
- Standard orders can be delivered within 7 to 10 business days
- 28-day returns
- Subscribe to the newsletter and receive exclusive offers
Melbourne Cup dresses from Ted Baker
ANGELLO Oversized Midaxi Dress ($669)
Textured Crepe Button Front Midi Dress ($509)
Ruched Sleeve Detail Mini Dress ($399)
Does your business belong on this list?
What is acceptable race wear?
- Dresses – but not overly short and tight. Leave the thigh-skimming bandeau dress at home.
- Heels – closed or open-toe is fine. Remember you'll be on your feet all day, so (if you can) find a pair that's comfortable.
- A fascinator or hat – anything from a little headband to a face full of lace, a flower in your hair, or something much larger. Anything goes.
- Clutches – not your everyday shoulder bag.
- Something to keep warm – think tailored jackets or elegant shawls.
What is not acceptable race wear?
- Sneakers, sports shoes, track shoes, runners, thongs, dilapidated footwear, scuffs, gumboots, or slippers. (A thong is defined as a shoe where 2 straps connect in-between the first and second toes.)
- Jeans, tracksuits, leather pants, or un-tailored pants.
- Shorts, short jumpsuits or short playsuits.
- Strapless dresses are traditionally not worn.
- Pants tucked into socks or footwear.
- Torn or ripped clothing (even if you bought it that way).
- Garments which show midriff. It's currently in fashion to show a (tasteful) midriff, so you might see a few of these at the races this year, but if you're heading to the Member's stand, cover up.
- Leggings worn as pants.
- Casual jackets such as parkas, duffle coats, windbreakers, denim jackets, or casual or tailored leather jackets.
- The best deals from Vogue Fashion’s Night Out 2023
- Footwear sale: 50% off BoohooMAN sandals, thongs and sliders
- Back to School NSW vouchers end 30 June: Here’s where to use them
- Vogue Online Shopping Night: The 16 best deals to get onto right now
- Vogue Online Shopping Night 2023: Best early-bird deals
Get a great deal this Spring Racing season with one of these coupon codes:
More guides on Finder
Best Cyber Monday deals you can still get today: Up to 70% off
Black Friday is now over, but you can still pick up stacks of Cyber Monday deals that are every bit as good.
How a pink trading platform dominated New Zealand
Sharesies boasts 500,000 Kiwi customers - or one-tenth of the New Zealand population.
Woolworths vs Coles: Which paid membership is better? [VIDEO]
Is it worth spending more with Everyday Extra or Coles Plus?
Savings with Sarah #10
Aussies are predicted to spend $30 billion this festive season. Here's 7 key tips on how you can save on gift-buying.
Cyber Monday laptop deals 2023
Access deals and discounts of up to 65% off laptops from Dell, Microsoft, HP and more in the 2023 Cyber Monday sale event.
Standing desk sale: 35% off at Omnidesk for Cyber Monday
Upgrade your home office this Cyber Monday with 35% off ergonomic standing desks from Omnidesk.
Cyber Monday iPhone deals 2023
If you're looking for iPhone deals in this year's Cyber Monday sales, check out our roundup of the very best discounts around.
Virgin flights to Uluru: How many points do you need?
Can you get a red-hot deal for the red centre?
How to avoid a Christmas debt hangover
11% of us are putting our holiday shopping on plastic.
Black Friday Weekend: Today’s 25 best deals
From cutting-edge gadgets to deluxe mattresses, these are the best Black Friday deals you can get over the weekend.
Ask an Expert