Where can you earn the most airline rewards when paying for fuel?
Want to earn frequent flyer points for filling up your car? Compare fuel and airline reward offers to boost your points balance.
Updated . What changed?
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
You can earn frequent flyer points at service stations through three different rewards programs: BP Rewards, Coles Flybuys and Everyday Rewards. With BP Rewards, you can choose to earn Qantas Points for your fuel and other eligible purchases, while Everyday Rewards lets you transfer points to your Qantas Frequent Flyer account. If you're chasing Velocity Points, on the other hand, Flybuys lets you earn points at Coles Express that you can can transfer to your frequent flyer account.
Here we take a look at the frequent flyer points potential for these deals to help make your money go further.
How many frequent flyer points can I earn when buying fuel?
The table below shows you how many points you'll earn through each of these programs when you fill up at participating service stations.
|Rewards program||Fuel partner||Points earned||Frequent flyer transfer rate|
|BP Rewards||BP||BP Ultimate Unleaded: 2 points per litre|
Other fuel: 1 point per litre
BP in-store spending: 1 point per $1 on eligible purchases
|N/A (earns Qantas Points directly when you choose that option and link your account)|
|Coles Flybuys||Coles Express||1 point per $2 spent||2,000 Flybuys point = 870 Velocity Points|
|Everyday Rewards||Caltex and Caltex Woolworths co-branded outlets||A minimum 1 point per $1 spent||2,000 Everyday Rewards points = 1,000 Qantas Points|
How to boost your point earnings at service stations
You can earn even more reward points at BP or Coles Express by considering the following options:
- Shop in store. All of these fuel offers give you a way to earn points per $1 spent in-store at participating service stations.
- Special promotions. Keep an eye out for member offers that could boost the amount of points you earn during a promotional period.
- Frequent flyer credit cards. If you pay for your petrol and other in-store purchases with a frequent flyer credit card, you'll earn points per $1 spent through the card. This could potentially double the amount of points you earn.
Terms and conditions to keep in mind
If you want to earn frequent flyer rewards for your fuel, consider the following factors to keep it affordable:
- Eligible transactions. While fuel, snacks and drinks will earn you points through any of these programs, some spending won't earn points, such as tobacco and gift card purchases. For the full list, check the terms and conditions for BP Rewards, Flybuys and Everyday Rewards.
- Fuel prices. The cost of fuel varies depending on the service station and location. Make sure you factor in these prices so that you know it is affordable to choose to pay for fuel and earn frequent flyer rewards.
- Participating service stations. Not all BP and Caltex service stations offer rewards. The BP website has a map of its service stations that you can filter by locations that are part of BP Rewards, and the Caltex website also has a map showing locations that let you earn Everyday Rewards.
Having the opportunity to earn airline rewards when paying for fuel gives you another way to boost your frequent flyer points balance and get value from everyday spending. By comparing these options, you can choose the fuel rewards option that helps you get to where you want to go.Back to top
Comparison of credit cards that earn frequent flyer points
More guides on Finder
Westpac Altitude Platinum Qantas – Existing customer offer
With bonus Qantas Points and a range of complimentary insurance covers, the Westpac Altitude Platinum - Qantas is worth considering if you want more frequent flyer points.
Where to buy the Xbox Series X in Australia [Updated]
Microsoft's next-gen Xbox has officially launched. Here are all the places you can buy the Xbox Series X in Australia.
Get 15% bonus when you transfer Flybuys to Velocity
The top offer for maximising Flybuys is back again, here's how to use it.
Xbox Series S pre-orders: Where to buy in Australia
Xbox Series S is a lower-cost alternative to the Xbox Series X launching on 10 November. Here's a list of pre-order options for Australian shoppers.
Netflix frequent flyer wars: Coles and Woolworths points deals compared
Earn Qantas or Velocity points from streaming. Which deal is better?
Qantas and Afterpay: Everything you need to know
You can earn frequent flyer points with the popular buy now pay later service – here's how.
All the current bonus frequent flyer and reward points offers January 2021
Bonus points for gift cards, shopping, insurance and more.
How to meet credit card bonus point spending requirements
With most credit card bonus point offers including a minimum spending requirement, here’s what you need to know to meet it and maximise your rewards.
Best frequent flyer and rewards credit cards June 2020
Imagine what you could do with up to 200,000 bonus points on one of these credit cards.
Best frequent flyer and rewards credit cards May 2020
Treat yourself with one of these credit cards offering up to 200,000 bonus points and competitive earn rates for your everyday spending.
Supercharge your frequent flyer points with Points Finder
Ask an Expert