Finder makes money from featured partners, but editorial opinions are our own.

Where Australians have the most driving issues overseas

driving road trip friends car van

Learning road rules makes travelling safer and cheaper.

Aussies love to travel and one of the best ways to explore a country or region is on four wheels.

Global travel insurer Allianz Global Assistance (AGA) jas released data which shows three international destinations - New Zealand, Europe (specifically France) and the United States - are responsible for the most driving-related claims by Australians over the past two years.

Visitors often get into trouble due to a lack of awareness surrounding the differing rules of the road.

For example, in New Zealand, the common legal age to hire a car is 21. This means if you're involved in an accident abroad, driving underage, you may not be covered for claims.

Roads in New Zealand also experience varying weather conditions and hazards are commonplace.

Driving around Europe, it's handy to have an English-speaking navigation system in case you get lost.

Driving laws and regulations vary greatly from country to country, so it's important to monitor speed limits, have the correct documentation with you at all times and understand licensing requirements.

In the United States, some state authorities and car rental companies require overseas drivers to carry an international drivers permit, which can only be obtained in their home country.

Steering wheels are on the opposite side of the vehicle and cars are driven on the right side of the road.

The blood alcohol limit enforced in all states is 0.08 for those aged 21 and above.

Stolen bag? Lost credit card? You're not alone. These are some of the most common insurance claims.

For 10 of the best Las Vegas hotels, the ultimate guide to finding accommodation in Queenstown this summer or the most suitable travel insurance for a trip to Europe, check out our helpful travel hub.

Latest travel insurance headlines

Picture: Shutterstock

Get more from Finder

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and 6. Finder Group Privacy & Cookies Policy.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Go to site