What is glass hair?
Everything you need to know to achieve the look loved by celebrities
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
First, there was glass skin, which is when you make your complexion smooth and glowy to mimic the finish of glass. Now the trend has translated into hair, and the glass hair trend has arrived.
This is the hair trend that has been taking over our Instagram feeds.
Some may steer away from it because the idea of making your hair look shiny can be terrifying for oily-haired people, but fear not, glass hair makes your locks look healthy and nourished.
Image: Instagram user Olivia Culpo
What is glass hair?
Glass hair is all about making your hair so reflective and glowy that you look like a goddess. It is hair that is smooth, soft and shiny.
It usually looks better on shorter hair, such as a bob or a lob, as this is a lot easier to manage. Of course, if you are up for the challenge, long glass hair will look amazing too.
Celebrities are known to absolutely nail the glass hair trend includes Kim Kardashian, Bella Hadid, Olivia Culpo, Kylie Jenner and Jenna Dewan. Scroll down for some hair inspiration on how to style the glass hair trend.
Glass Hair inspiration from the celebs
Styling tips to get the glass hair you want
- Healthy hair is required for glass hair, so it might be a good idea to invest in high-quality conditioners and hair masks. We recommend checking out our list of the best shampoos and conditioners.
- To achieve the trend, blow dry your hair with a round brush and then go over it with a flat iron to maximise smoothness. It's important to not rely solely on the flat iron because it can really damage your hair. Then apply glow drops or a serum to give it the glassy effect.
- When going over your hair with a hair straightener, do it in fine sections for ease in styling.
- To help in your quest for glass hair, read our guide to the best hair dryers on the market and, of course, our recommendations for the best hair straighteners.
- Your hair needs to have no frizz for maximum shine, so it might be best to use your second-day washed hair.
- Glass hair looks best on hair that is cut straight and sharp. Having layers will make it very tricky to achieve glass hair, so it's best when your hair is cut the same length.
Where to buy the products you need to achieve glass hair
Kim Kardashian's hairstylist Chris Appleton recommends using the Color Wow Pop & Lock Gloss Treatment. This can be purchased from Revolve Clothing and through Feel Unique if you use a service like Australia Post's ShopMate.
To browse for other products to help you achieve the glass hair trend, check out the following retailers.
Popular products to get the glass hair effect
DAVINES OI Oil
IGK Mistress Hydrating Hair Balm
Evo Love Perpetua Shine Drops
PERCY & REED A Walk In The Rain Shine & Fragrance Mist
OLAPLEX Hair Perfector No.3 Home Treatment
ORIBE Gold Lust Repair & Restore Shampoo
- Rowi Singh x Mountain and Moon: How this iconic jewellery collection came to life
- PSA: Skinny jeans are officially out, so here are 20+ other jeans under $100
- David Jones sale: 30% off designer brands + top 5 picks
- THE OUTNET sale: Which designer brands gets 80% off?
- 9 fashion trends from Friends you can rock in 2021
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: 53% off Samsung Galaxy Buds+, 60% off sports and fitness equipment, win $10,000 with Optus.
ZitSticka Rundown: Do you know what type of pimple you have?
To put it simply, you can't treat a pimple properly if you don't know what type it is.
10 fashion trends inspired by Harry Styles
From flares to frills, this is everything you need to rock the Harry Styles look for less.
Best dual SIM phones
If you’re looking to run multiple phone numbers from just one handset, we’ve got the best picks for every price bracket and need.
9 fashion trends from Friends you can rock in 2021
Whether or not your job's a joke, you're broke or your love life's DOA - Here are some of the most iconic looks from Friends and the trends you can wear today.
15 Y2K fashion trends that are making a comeback
The early 2000s fashion trends that are back in vogue, and where you can buy them online for under $100.
HTC VIVE Pro 2: Price, release date, specs, features and more
The next generation of virtual reality lands June 2021 with the arrival of the HTC VIVE Pro 2. Here's everything you need to know.
Metamask wallet review and guide
All you need to know about Metamask – the browser extension digital wallet and a user-friendly bridge to the world of Ethereum decentralised applications.
Where to buy every product in Nicola Peltz’s 24-step beauty routine
Including go-to products from Victoria Beckham Beauty, Dior and M.A.C, as well as a few affordable options to add to your beauty bag.
Perth hotels with spas in the room
Find out where you can enjoy your own spa bath with these Perth hotels.
Ask an Expert