Everything you need to know to achieve the look loved by celebrities
First, there was glass skin, which is when you make your complexion smooth and glowy to mimic the finish of glass. Now the trend has translated into hair, and the glass hair trend has arrived.
This is the hair trend that has been taking over our Instagram feeds.
Some may steer away from it because the idea of making your hair look shiny can be terrifying for oily-haired people, but fear not, glass hair makes your locks look healthy and nourished.
Image: Instagram user Olivia Culpo
What is glass hair?
Glass hair is all about making your hair so reflective and glowy that you look like a goddess. It is hair that is smooth, soft and shiny.
It usually looks better on shorter hair, such as a bob or a lob, as this is a lot easier to manage. Of course, if you are up for the challenge, long glass hair will look amazing too.
Celebrities are known to absolutely nail the glass hair trend includes Kim Kardashian, Bella Hadid, Olivia Culpo, Kylie Jenner and Jenna Dewan. Scroll down for some hair inspiration on how to style the glass hair trend.
Glass Hair inspiration from the celebs
Styling tips to get the glass hair you want
- Healthy hair is required for glass hair, so it might be a good idea to invest in high-quality conditioners and hair masks. We recommend checking out our list of the best shampoos and conditioners.
- To achieve the trend, blow dry your hair with a round brush and then go over it with a flat iron to maximise smoothness. It's important to not rely solely on the flat iron because it can really damage your hair. Then apply glow drops or a serum to give it the glassy effect.
- When going over your hair with a hair straightener, do it in fine sections for ease in styling.
- To help in your quest for glass hair, read our guide to the best hair dryers on the market and, of course, our recommendations for the best hair straighteners.
- Your hair needs to have no frizz for maximum shine, so it might be best to use your second-day washed hair.
- Glass hair looks best on hair that is cut straight and sharp. Having layers will make it very tricky to achieve glass hair, so it's best when your hair is cut the same length.
Where to buy the products you need to achieve glass hair
Kim Kardashian's hairstylist Chris Appleton recommends using the Color Wow Pop & Lock Gloss Treatment. This can be purchased from Revolve Clothing and through Feel Unique if you use a service like Australia Post's ShopMate.
To browse for other products to help you achieve the glass hair trend, check out the following retailers.
Popular products to get the glass hair effect
DAVINES OI Oil
IGK Mistress Hydrating Hair Balm
Evo Love Perpetua Shine Drops
PERCY & REED A Walk In The Rain Shine & Fragrance Mist
OLAPLEX Hair Perfector No.3 Home Treatment
ORIBE Gold Lust Repair & Restore Shampoo
- Where to buy Melbourne Cup dresses online in time for the races 2019
- What’s in the new Dr. Martens iridescent collection?
- Your first look at the Opening Ceremony x Vans satin Old Skools
- Why you’re going to obsess over Boohoo’s recycled range
- All the pictures from Emily Ratajkowski’s Nasty Gal campaign