What is a cut crease and how can you achieve it?
Learn how to make a statement with this bold eyeshadow trend
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
This fabulous eyeshadow look is one that a number of beauty bloggers have featured on their channel. However, it isn't the easiest look to recreate. Luckily, we're here to tell you everything you need to know to achieve a flawless application every time.
What is a cut crease?
The cut crease look has gained increasing popularity over the past few years as it helps to draw attention to the eyes and makes them appear larger. So, what exactly does it involve?
Essentially, the cut crease technique involves using different eyeshadow colours to "cut" a sharp line across the lid. Unlike with most eyeshadow looks, though, the line is not blended in, forming a bold crease on the eyelid.
Note that the more contrasted the eyeshadow shades you pick are, the sharper your line will ultimately look.
How do you do a cut crease?
- Prime your eyelids. This should really be the first step with any eye makeup look. Priming will not only help your makeup to last all day – it's also essential for a cut crease as the look won't work if your eyeshadow colours blend together.
- Use a light base colour. Start by applying a lighter hue on your lids all the way up to your brows. This will give you a base to work with and highlight your entire eye area.
- Apply a darker transition shade. Using your darker coloured eyeshadow, form a line in your crease and blend it out towards the outer corner of your eye.
- Wing it. With a dark eyeliner shade, draw a line in your crease. The line should be thin, but should also mimic the shape of winged eyeliner with a flick out at the end.
- Add concealer. Using a bright concealer, fill in everything below the crease line you've created. Once blended, you can go over this with another eyeshadow shade to create a greater contrast.
- Finish it off. The crease cut look is often finished off with winged eyeliner and false eyelashes. While this is entirely optional, it will help to make your eyes look even bigger.
Who can do a cut crease?
While some eye shapes are definitely easier to perform a cut crease on, with a little practice, anyone can master the look. There are also a number of tutorials on YouTube if you need a bit more of a step-by-step guide.
Popular products to help you achieve the cut crease look:
theBalm Put A Lid On It Eyelid Primer
ANASTASIA BEVERLY HILLS Modern Renaissance Eye Shadow Palette
M.A.C Cosmetics Eye Shadow X 9 - Amber Times Nine
IT COSMETICS Eyelift In A Tube Concealer
FENTY BEAUTY Flyliner Longwear Liquid Eyeliner
M.A.C Cosmetics 36 Lash 1 pair
M.A.C Cosmetics DUO Lash Adhesive
Looking for a beauty deal?
Popular Health & Beauty coupon codes
|Last checked||Code description||Code|
|16 Jun 2021||5% off your orders||FIN****|
|31 May 2021||Get 10% off your first order||FIR****|
|18 May 2021||$20 off your first order||WEL****|
|8 Feb 2021||10% off everything||FIN****|
|5 Oct 2020||10% off orders over $75||FIN****|
Main image: Pinterest
More guides on Finder
Amazon Prime Day: 60% off fashion deals you’re not going to want to miss
Bargain hunters - get ready to save on Nike, New Balance, Cotton On, Tommy Hilfiger, Calvin Klein and so much more.
Amazon Prime Day best home deals: Bose, iRobot and more
From home speakers to robot vacuums, these are the items to watch out for this Prime Day.
Staple items worth a splurge and how you can grab a cheeky 30% off all of them
We've got a cheeky 30% off at THE ICONIC so here are the staple items worth a splurge because the savings are too damn good.
THE ICONIC x Finder: Huge 30% off sale + 5 things to shop right now
THE ICONIC's massive sale is exclusive to Finder members and applies to over 40,000 must-have items.
Why the BHP, Rio and FMG share prices are rising
Shares in mining giants BHP, Rio Tinto and Fortescue Metals have climbed between 10%-16% in the last 6 months.
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: $1,000 off Dell gaming laptops, 30% off kids toys, win $10,000 with Optus.
eBay EOFY sales: Best deals from Apple, KitchenAid and more
Score up to 65% off best-selling products with these top end of financial year offers.
Thinking about teeth aligners? Here’s how to make them more affordable
SPONSORED: Perfect teeth could be in closer reach than you think.
Ask an Expert