What is a cut crease and how can you achieve it?
Learn how to make a statement with this bold eyeshadow trend
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
This fabulous eyeshadow look is one that a number of beauty bloggers have featured on their channel. However, it isn't the easiest look to recreate. Luckily, we're here to tell you everything you need to know to achieve a flawless application every time.
What is a cut crease?
The cut crease look has gained increasing popularity over the past few years as it helps to draw attention to the eyes and makes them appear larger. So, what exactly does it involve?
Essentially, the cut crease technique involves using different eyeshadow colours to "cut" a sharp line across the lid. Unlike with most eyeshadow looks, though, the line is not blended in, forming a bold crease on the eyelid.
Note that the more contrasted the eyeshadow shades you pick are, the sharper your line will ultimately look.
How do you do a cut crease?
- Prime your eyelids. This should really be the first step with any eye makeup look. Priming will not only help your makeup to last all day – it's also essential for a cut crease as the look won't work if your eyeshadow colours blend together.
- Use a light base colour. Start by applying a lighter hue on your lids all the way up to your brows. This will give you a base to work with and highlight your entire eye area.
- Apply a darker transition shade. Using your darker coloured eyeshadow, form a line in your crease and blend it out towards the outer corner of your eye.
- Wing it. With a dark eyeliner shade, draw a line in your crease. The line should be thin, but should also mimic the shape of winged eyeliner with a flick out at the end.
- Add concealer. Using a bright concealer, fill in everything below the crease line you've created. Once blended, you can go over this with another eyeshadow shade to create a greater contrast.
- Finish it off. The crease cut look is often finished off with winged eyeliner and false eyelashes. While this is entirely optional, it will help to make your eyes look even bigger.
Who can do a cut crease?
While some eye shapes are definitely easier to perform a cut crease on, with a little practice, anyone can master the look. There are also a number of tutorials on YouTube if you need a bit more of a step-by-step guide.
Popular products to help you achieve the cut crease look:
theBalm Put A Lid On It Eyelid Primer
ANASTASIA BEVERLY HILLS Modern Renaissance Eye Shadow Palette
M.A.C Cosmetics Eye Shadow X 9 - Amber Times Nine
IT COSMETICS Eyelift In A Tube Concealer
FENTY BEAUTY Flyliner Longwear Liquid Eyeliner
M.A.C Cosmetics 36 Lash 1 pair
M.A.C Cosmetics DUO Lash Adhesive
Looking for a beauty deal?
Popular Health & Beauty coupon codes
|Last checked||Code description||Code|
|8 Feb 2021||10% off everything||FIN****|
|13 Jan 2021||10% off when you spend $49||FIN****|
|5 Oct 2020||10% off orders over $75||FIN****|
|24 Feb 2020||5% off your orders||FIN****|
|1 Mar 2021||Get 10% off your first order||APP****|
Main image: Pinterest
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: Huge men's sneaker sale, 40% off Ray-Bans sunglasses, 47% off Apple iPhone XS.
Best foundation for mature skin in Australia
We read hundreds of customer reviews to find the best foundations for mature skin you can buy online and in-store in Australia.
20 Australian beauty influencers and bloggers you should follow
Sick of doing the same smokey eye every day? Follow these local beauty legends to get the inspiration you need.
What are the best ASX stocks of 2021?
Our algorithm selected 20 Aussie stocks worth watching in 2021.
Jura Z6 coffee machine review
Jura’s Z6 makes espresso that can rival a manual coffee machine at the touch of a button, but it’s bulky, expensive and doesn’t offer a frothing wand.
CBD oil in Australia: What it is and how to access it
If you are keen to learn more or you're interested in how you can access CBD oil in Australia, this is the guide for you. Here's everything you need to know.
Best setting sprays in Australia
We’ve found the six best setting sprays you can buy in Australia right now.
Best setting powders in Australia
These are the eight best setting powders in Australia right now.
Campervan hire on the Sunshine Coast | Where to book, what to know
Encounter wildlife, regional treats and sandy shores with your caravan hire on the Sunshine Coast.
Campervan relocations in Australia | Where to book, what to know
Discover great destinations for campervan relocations for your adventure across Australia.
Ask an Expert