Who is HIF?
Health Insurance Fund of Australia Limited (known informally as HIF) is a not-for-profit, member-focused health fund established in Western Australia in 1954. Beginning life as the Western Australian Government Railways (WAGR) Employees Hospital and Medical Benefits Fund and then becoming the Health Insurance Fund of WA, HIF today has a growing membership base, not only in Western Australia, but all around the country.
Other types of cover available
In addition to value-for-money health insurance, HIF has partnered with Cover-More Travel Insurance to provide its members with some great travel insurance plans as well. These include international comprehensive and domestic policies and a choice of either single trip or annual multi-trip cover.
Both international and domestic cover include the following:
- Cancellation and amendment fees (unlimited)
- Additional expenses (international: unlimited, domestic: $10,000)
- Luggage and personal effects ($8,000)
- Rental car insurance excess (international: $4,000, domestic: $3,000)
- Travel delay expenses ($2,000)
- Loss of income (international: $10,000, domestic: $2,000)
- Permanent disability (international: $25,000, domestic: $10,000)
- Accidental death (international: $25,000, domestic: $10,000)
- Personal liability ($5 million)
International cover also includes the following:
- Overseas medical and hospital expenses (unlimited)
- Travel documents, credit cards and traveller’s cheques ($5,000)
- Delayed luggage allowance ($750)
- Theft of cash ($250)
- Alternative transport expenses ($5,000)
- Resumption of journey ($3,000)
- Hospital cash allowance ($5,000)
What are the benefits of HIF?
As a not-for-profit, member-focused health fund, HIF does not pay dividends to shareholders, but returns all surpluses to its members in the form of lower premiums, increased rebates and new benefits and services.
Some of the many benefits HIF is able to pass on to its members include the following:
- A $50 bonus with any health insurance policy. Purchase any HIF health insurance policy and you’ll receive a bonus $50 cash card.
- Save 4% on any level of health cover. Pay your premiums annually and receive a 4% discount or pay every six months and receive a 2% discount.
- Switch from another fund and receive a loyalty benefit. Take out an equivalent or lower level of Hospital cover and you won’t have to re-serve hospital waiting periods already served. Plus, take out equivalent or lower Extras cover as well and receive an immediate loyalty benefit under HIF’s Extras Loyalty Program.
- A $70 member’s referral card. If you refer someone to HIF and they mention your name at the time of joining, you’ll receive a $70 EFTPOS card.