Find out what other types of insurance are available from one of Australia's most trusted health funds HCF?
Australia’s largest not‑for-profit health fund and one of the biggest combined private health insurance and life insurance organisations, HCF was established in 1932 with the aim of providing the community with a means of insuring against the growing cost of hospital care. HCF is comprised of HCF Health Insurance, HCF Life Insurance, Health Care Services and Retirement and Aged Care Services.
Other types of cover available
As well as health insurance, the HCF insurance portfolio includes travel insurance, life insurance and pet insurance.
Underwritten by QBE Insurance (Australia), HCF provides a range of travel insurance policies offering the following levels of cover:
- International Comprehensive. This policy is for those wanting comprehensive cover for medical, dental, medical and non-medical evacuation and repatriation, cancellation and more.
- Elements. This policy provides limited cover for single international trips. It covers medical, dental, medical and non-medical evacuation and repatriation, cancellation and more.
- Australian Comprehensive. This policy is for those travelling within Australia who need comprehensive cover for cancellation or rearrangement costs, additional travel expenses, repatriation and more.
- Australian Cancellation. This policy provides limited cover for travel within Australia for the non-refundable portion of prepaid travel arrangements or additional travel, accommodation and meals.
- Inbound. This provides cover for non-residents travelling to and within Australia on a temporary basis for medical and cancellation expenses, loss or theft of luggage, rental vehicle insurance excess and more.
- Annual Multi-Trip. This policy provides cover for unlimited trips in a 12-month period within Australia and internationally for medical, dental, medical and non-medical evacuation and repatriation, cancellation and more.
HCF has life insurance to cover every stage of life ranging from young singles to families and retirees. Products include the following:
- Kids' Accident Cover. This cover pays up to $100,000 if your child is accidentally injured, resulting in immediate impairment or permanent disability within six months.
- Cash Back Cover. This cover pays $5,000 if you have an accident that requires surgery within six months or you suffer from malignant cancer, chronic kidney failure, heart disease requiring bypass surgery, heart attack, stroke or any disease needing a major organ transplant.
- Bounceback Cover. This cover is for people under 35 years of age. It pays up to $100,000 for up to 35 conditions, including tonsillitis and appendicitis.
- Income Assist Insurance. This cover pays up to 75% of your average monthly income for up to 12 months if you are unable to work due to sickness or injury.
- Smart Term Insurance. This cover pays up to $500,000 upon death or diagnosis of a terminal illness, with $10,000 paid early to cover funeral expenses. The benefit is doubled if death results from an accident.
- Critical Illness Cover. This cover provides extra cash to supplement your HCF private health cover and Medicare, paying a cash benefit for serious illnesses including heart attack, cancer and stroke.
- Personal Accident Insurance. This policy pays a benefit of up to $10,000 if you suffer a specified injury or up to $50,000 if you die as a result of an accident.
HCF pet insurance offers two levels of cover and a range of optional extras, allowing you to tailor a policy that suits your pet’s life stage and needs. These include the following:
- Pet Essential. This policy covers up to 80% of vet bills to an annual limit of $8,000 and includes cover for accidental injury, illness, consultations, specialist care, emergency boarding fees, after-hours emergency visits, laboratory and diagnostic tests, hospitalisation, radiology, prescription drugs, surgery, cruciate ligament conditions and overseas pet travel insurance.
- Pet Premium. This policy covers everything in Pet Essential but with higher benefit limits. It also provides cover for skin conditions, cancer treatment, infectious diseases and hereditary and congenital conditions.
- Pet Premium + (optional) Routine Care. This covers everything in Pet Premium as well as cover for de-sexing, vaccinations/health checks, heartworm test, FeLv/Fiv test, flea/tick/worm control and dental illness cover (optional).
What are the benefits of HCF?
As a not-for-profit fund, every cent of profit HCF makes goes back into the fund to increase benefits rather than into the pockets of shareholders. In 2015 alone, 90.4 cents in every dollar paid in premiums was returned to HCF members in benefits. HCF is also one of the few major health funds that allows policyholders to directly elect councillors to its governing council, giving members more control in how their fund is managed.
Because it is a member-focused fund, HCF provides the following programs and services for its members:
- My Health Guardian offers programs to boost overall health and wellbeing and help manage chronic conditions.
- My Global Specialist provides free second opinions from leading experts.
- Healthy Weight for Life offers weight-loss programs for members with type 2 diabetes, heart conditions and osteoarthritis.
- My Helping Hand is a 24/7 telephone support program for members with mental health conditions.
- Apps to help members quit smoking, get fit and more.
- In-branch heart health checks.
- More for You No-Gap Extras offers a range of fully covered services, including dental, optical and physio.
- Health and wellbeing services including quit smoking programs and swimming lessons.