The Westpac Student card can offer great value, especially since it was specifically designed with students in mind.
Westpac Student Credit Card no longer offered
The Westpac Student Credit Card is no longer available for applications to new customers. The card cannot be applied for, however, the information on this page has been kept for the benefit of existing customers and for those who are interested.
Click here to view other Westpac credit cards and our guides to their features and benefits.
The Westpac Student card was created for full time tertiary students who are studying at a recognised tertiary institution. Offering low annual fees and up to 55 days interest-free on purchases, this can be ideal for students on limited budgets.
Westpac Student credit card review
It is acknowledged that students like to travel as well as study, and to make life easier in this regard the Westpac Student card is accepted at more than 28 million outlets throughout the world. It also protects you against fraud by Westpac's CardShield online transaction guarantee, meaning you will not be liable for internet transactions made without your consent as long as you tell the bank of the fraudulent transaction before the due date of your statement.
Benefits of the Westpac Student credit card
- Credit Card Protection Insurance. If you happen to lose your part time or casual job, or become injured or ill to the degree that you cannot attend work, and you find yourself in the position that you can't meet your credit card repayment obligations, your Westpac Student card's credit card protection insurance can help you. If you happen to die, any balance on your card at the time will be met up to a limit of $50,000, this feature avoids putting an extra financial strain on your family or next of kin at such a time.
- Verified by Visa. You can also enjoy added online security when shopping at certain online retail establishments by registering with Verified by Visa. Once registered you will notice a pop up from Westpac appear during your transaction procedure on participating websites, showing your personal assurance message (PAM). You will be asked for your password, which you simply enter and then carry on with your purchase.
- 24/7 Falcon and CHIP Technology. If a doubtful transaction appears to have occurred, Westpac fraud experts will be automatically alerted with the 24/7 Falcon security monitor. You will then receive a call from the bank to verify if it is indeed you who was making the transaction. Westpac has also supplemented the card's magnetic stripe with a microchip hidden inside the card itself. This microchip securely stores all the necessary details such as your card's expiry date, card number, and your name. The microchip is at the cutting edge of CHIP technology and widely recognised as a most effective tool in stopping skimming and counterfeit attacks on your card from fraudsters.
Features of the Westpac Student credit card
- Annual fee. The annual fee of just $30 is waived on your first year.
- Interest-free days. If you pay your statement balance by the date it becomes due each month you can enjoy 55 days free of any interest charges on your retail purchases.
- Purchase rate. The variable interest rate is 20.45% p.a.
- Paperless eStatements. In line with contemporary student preference of everybody doing their bit in saving the forests, it offers paperless eStatements.
- Card approval. Card approval is granted based on the income you generate from your casual or part time jobs or Austudy.