Westpac Foreign Cash Review
Get the latest exchange rates for 26 different currencies, pre-order your foreign cash online and pick it up from your preferred Westpac branch.
Initial Load Fee
The Westpac Foreign Cash service offers you a range of different currencies, including US dollars, euros, Chinese yuan and Indonesian rupiah. You can order your foreign currency online through the Westpac website for a fee of $4 per transaction. This gives you a way to lock-in an exchange rate at the time of your order.
You can also choose which Westpac branch you want the money sent to (even if you're not a customer of the bank) and then pick it up in as little as three to five business days.
What foreign currencies can I get through Westpac?
As well as popular foreign currencies such as US dollars, Indonesian rupiah, euros and British pounds, Westpac offers more far-flung currencies such as the Saudi riyal and Vanuatu's vatu. You can see the full list of all 26 foreign currencies below:
- United States dollar (USD)
- British pound (GBP)
- Euro (EUR)
- New Zealand dollar (NZD)
- Japanese yen (JPY)
- Thai baht (THB)
- Chinese yuan (CNY)
- Fijian dollar (FJD)
- Malaysian ringgit (MYR)
- Philippine peso (PHP)
- Singapore dollar (SGD)
- Hong Kong dollar (HKD)
- Canadian dollar (CAD)
- Brunei dollar (BND)
- Swiss franc (CHF)
- Danish krone (DKK)
- Indonesian rupiah (IDR)
- Norwegian krone (NOK)
- Papua New Guinean kina (PGK)
- Swedish krona (SEK)
- Tongan paʻanga (TOP)
- Samoan tālā (WST)
- CFP franc (XPF)
- South African rand (ZAR)
- Saudi riyal (SAR)
- Vanuatu vatu (VUV)
How can I get my foreign currency through Westpac?
You can order your foreign currency online through Westpac using the following steps:
- Click through to Westpac's secure online ordering form.
- Select the currency or currencies you want to order.
- Enter the amount of money you want to order, check the exchange rate then click "Buy cash" to confirm your order amount. You will automatically proceed to the payments page.
- Choose to pay using BPAY or your card. Note that a card surcharge of up to 1% applies for debit card and credit card payments.
- Select the Westpac branch where you want to pick up your cash, choose the pick-up date and provide your personal details.
- Review your order details and follow the prompts to complete the transaction.
If you've paid by debit card or credit card, you can pick up your order in as little as three business days. If you've paid by BPAY to avoid the 1% fee, your order could be ready within five business days. You can also choose to pick up your foreign currency at a later date, as long as it's within 21 days of when you placed your order.
What identification do I need to get foreign currency through Westpac?
- The documents you bring will need to be the same as when you processed your order.
During the ordering process, you need to provide some personal details including your name, residential address, email address, contact number, date of birth and either your Australian driver's licence or your passport details. You then need to bring the same ID with you when you pick up your foreign currency order
When you pick up your foreign currency, you need to bring the same form of identification that you provided on your order. For example, the driver's license or passport that you provided on the order. You also need your order reference number, which you can find on your confirmation email.
What else do I need to know about the Westpac Foreign Cash service?
Keep the following details in mind when ordering your foreign cash through Westpac:
- Order amounts. You can order a minimum value of AUD$500 worth of foreign currency and up to AUD$10,000 in a 24-hour period. If you're making multiple orders, you can get up to AUD$20,000 worth of foreign currency in a 21-day period.
- Order fee. A fee of $4 applies for each foreign cash order you make through Westpac.
- Denominations. Your foreign currency (or currencies) will be made up of notes, with a mix of low and high values.
The following card surcharges apply when you pay with a Visa or Mastercard debit or credit card:
- Visa debit card: 0.72%
- Visa credit card: 1.00%
- Mastercard debit card: 0.77%
- Mastercard credit card: 0.94%
Also note that credit card payments will usually attract a cash advance fee and interest charges. No surcharge is applied to BPAY payments, although they will take five business days to complete, in comparison to the three business days available if you pay by card.
Westpac Foreign Cash ATMsWestpac also offers ATMs where you can withdraw US dollars, British pounds, euros or New Zealand dollars. These pop-up Foreign Cash ATMs are available at the following locations:
The Westpac Foreign Cash online ordering service gives you a simple, quick way to check exchange rates and lock-in an order before you head overseas. As there are a number of other online foreign currency services available, make sure you compare your options to find one that suits your needs.Back to top