Take advantage of 0% p.a. for 16 months on balance transfers, on purchases for months and annual fee in the first year with the Westpac 55 Day Credit Card.
The Westpac 55 Day Credit Card is designed to be a straightforward option, with a low annual fee and up to days interest-free on purchases. This card currently offers on balance transfers for months and a low introductory purchase rate of for months when you apply by .
It also offers an introductory annual fee in the first year (normally ).
Westpac 55 Day Credit Card review
This Visa credit card provides worldwide acceptance for in-store, online or over-the-phone purchases. This no-frills credit card also offers up to 55 day interest-free period on purchases if you pay the balance in full by the due date on each statement. It also has a low standard annual fee of
If you apply for this card before , you can enjoy a annual fee for the first year and in subsequent years when you spend or more on purchases in each 12 months from the date of the first transaction on your account. The introductory balance transfer rate and purchase rate also allow you to save on interest charges. These offers end .
Benefits of using a Westpac 55 Day Credit Card
Some of the most popular benefits of the Westpac 55 Day include:
- No annual fee offer. Apply for this card before and you can enjoy annual fee in the first year. The annual fee will also be waived in following years if you spend at least $5,000 on purchases using your credit card. Purchases are counted from the anniversary date of the first year’s annual fee waiver.
- on balance transfers. This card allows you to transfer balances from up to three non-Westpac credit accounts with an introductory rate of 0% p.a. for the first 16 months. The standard variable purchase rate of 19.84% p.a. will be applied to any balance left over after the interest-free period ends. Offer ends on 30 January 2017.
- introductory purchase rate. This card allows you to save money on new purchases with an introductory rate of for months. After this, any balance remaining from new purchases will attract interest at the standard variable purchase rate of 19.84% p.a.
- Interest-free days. Pay no interest on your current purchases if you are able to pay the closing balance in full by the statement due date. This can give you up to 55 interest-free days on purchases.
- Additional cardholder. This card offers1 supplementary cardholder at no extra cost, allowing you to share your account with a partner or family member.
- Visa benefits. This card offers worldwide acceptance through the Visa network, Visa Zero Liability against fraudulent transactions and access to exclusive entertainment and experience offers through Visa Entertainment.
- Contactless payments. This card's Visa payPass technology allows you to pay for in-store purchases under $100 by simply tapping your card against a terminal bearing the contactless symbol. You can also tap-and-go using a mobile phone by downloading the Westpac app to a compatible Samsung Galaxy S4, S5 or Note 3.
Features of the Westpac 55 Day Credit Card
Here are the key features to consider when comparing the Westpac 55 Day Credit Card.
- Purchase rate. The standard variable interest rate on purchases is 19.84% p.a. It is important to note that any remaining debt from a balance transfer will revert to the standard purchase rate after the introductory period ends.
- Cash advance rate. This card charges 21.29% p.a. for cash advances. Note that cash advance transactions are not eligible for interest-free days and will accrue interest from the time they are made.
- Cash advance fee. If you use your card for a cash advance, a fee of .
- Annual fee. This card has a standard annual fee of $30.
- Foreign transaction fee. A fee of applies for all transactions made in a foreign currency.
- Minimum credit limit. The minimum credit limit offered is $1,000.
- Interest-free days. The interest-free period with this credit card is up to 55 days, as long as you pay your balance off in full by the due date on each statement.
- Card security. This card offers protection with chip-and-PIN technology and Westpac's Fraud Money Back Guarantee. The Westpac Added Online Security service also provides extra peace of mind when shopping online at participating retailers.
How to apply for the Westpac 55 Day Credit Card
You can apply for the Westpac 55 Day Credit Card online in around 10 minutes and will get a response within 60 seconds. Before you begin, make sure you meet the eligibility requirements for this card, and have all the relevant documents and details on hand.
- You must be at least 18 years old
- You must be a permanent Australian resident or citizen
- You must have a good credit rating to be eligible for this card
- Only individuals who are not currently holding an open Westpac credit card product can apply
- Personal details. This includes your full name, address, contact information and residential information.
- Identification. A valid Australian driver’s licence, Medicare card or passport is required to verify your identity for the application.
- Income and expenses. You will need to provide details of your annual salary, as well as payslips or bank statements showing regular deposits. You also need to outline your financial commitments, such as mortgage payments, existing card or loan debts and regular household bills and expenses.
- Employment details. This includes your position, the length of your employment, your salary, and your employer's name and contact details.
The Westpac 55 Day Credit Card is a straightforward, no-frills product that offers savings through a low annual fee and up to 55 days interest-free on purchases. But as there are other low-cost cards on the market, it's important to consider a range of options so that you can find a product that suits your circumstances and needs.
Frequently asked questions
Will applying for the Westpac 55 Day and another card at the same time hurt my chances for approval?
Applying for more than one credit card at a time leads to more enquiries on your credit report, which could have a negative impact on your credit score. Instead, you may want to compare credit cards before you apply, so that you can choose a card that offers the greatest chance of approval based on your circumstances.
I am not a permanent resident of Australia, but do have a 457 visa, will I be eligible for this card?
While Westpac does have credit cards for non-permanent residents, this is not one of them. You will need to look into their Migrant Credit Card which gives you the option of a rewards, low annual fee, low interest rate or platinum credit card. You can also read our guide on credit cards for temporary residents for more options.
How do you qualify for no annual fee after the first year?
If you make $5,000 in purchases in one year starting from the anniversary date of the card, you will not be charged the $30 annual fee.
Is the additional card holder responsible for the account as well?
No, the primary card holder assumes all responsibility for the account, including the activities of the additional card holder.