Are you a member of Westfund? Find out more about the other Westfund insurance options.
Formerly known as the Western District Mine Workers Medical Benefits Fund, Westfund Health Insurance has been putting members before profits since 1953. The not-for-profit fund provides great value health cover for individuals and families throughout regional Australia, particularly in rural NSW and Queensland.
Other types of cover available
Westfund gives its members access to discounted travel insurance through an arrangement with Cover-More. Levels of cover include:
International (single or annual multi-trip)
- Premium. Comprehensive cover that includes overseas medical and dental, additional expenses, amendments or cancellation costs, luggage and travel documents, delayed luggage allowance, money, rental car insurance excess, travel delay, resumption of journey, special events, hospital incidentals, hijacking, loss of income, disability, accidental death and personal liability.
- Medical Only. Basic but essential cover that includes overseas medical and dental, and personal liability.
- Inbound. Cover for non-Australians travelling to and within Australia.
- Domestic. Cover for travel within Australia that includes travel delays, lost luggage and travel documents, rental car excess and trip cancellation.
- Domestic Cancellation. A basic option for the budget-conscious traveller that covers trip amendments and cancellation at your chosen level for travel within Australia.
What are the benefits of Westfund?
As a not-for-profit health fund, Westfund is entirely member-focused and reinvests profits back into the company to keep premiums low and provide improved benefits for members. If you live in regional Australia, you also have the advantage of being with a health fund that’s rural-based and totally focused on the needs of rural communities.
Westfund members enjoy a great range of benefits and incentives including:
- 15% discount on Cover-More travel insurance
- Accident Benefit of up to $200 per night if you're hospitalised as the result of an accident (available after one day)
- Sunglasses Benefit of up to $100 per calendar year for sunglasses purchased from any Westfund Care Centre (available after one year)
- Accommodation benefit of up to $150 per night for accommodation expenses, up to $600 a year (available after two years)
- Advanced surgery benefit of $400 per night for advanced surgical procedures due to heart disease, stroke or cancer, up to $4,800 per hospitalisation (available after two years)
- Forced retrenchment benefit where your premiums are waived for up to six months if you’re made redundant (available after three years)
- Protected industrial action benefit where your premiums are waived for up to six months due to a union strike (available after three years)
- Additional benefit of up to $80 for out-of-pocket costs associated with purchasing prescription glasses or contacts at Westfund Eye Care Centres (available after two months)
Compare your health insurance options online today
- Consumers inadvertently exposing themselves to increased risk of tooth decay
- Don’t buy your glasses online
- Health round-up: Healthcare ranking, dementia and tobacco
- Private health insurance affordability a significant concern for consumers says ACCC
- Bupa Global data breach hits 547,000 customers
- Health round-up: Sperm, weight gain and coffee