Westfund's six Hospital options offer a wide range of cover, from budget-conscious to comprehensive.
For 90 years Westful Health Insurance has offered affordable health policies to regional NSW and Queensland. This locally-owned, not-for-profit fund has basic to premium cover for all ages and budgets.
Top 3 features
- Good for Australians wanting to support a locally-owned, not-for-profit fund.
- Good for their hospital member benefits.
- Beware of higher premiums if you don't choose an excess.
What hospital covers are available?
- Gold Hospital. Protect your loved ones with our most comprehensive quality hospital cover, offering peace of mind with no exclusions or restrictions.
- Silver Plus Assure Hospital. High-level hospital cover suitable for older adults, providing security for later in life.
- Silver Plus Nurture Hospital. Look after your loved ones through our mid-level hospital cover, designed for those growing or planning their families.
- Silver Hospital. Only pay for what you need with mid-level hospital cover suited for established families and couples.
- Bronze Hospital. Entry-level private hospital cover for the budget conscious. Most suited to young singles and couples.
- Basic Hospital. Be covered as a private patient in a public hospital.
Here's a breakdown of what each product includes.
|Bronze Hospital||Choice of $500|
|Silver Hospital||All of the above, plus;||Choice of $500|
|Silver Plus Nurture Hospital||All of the above, plus;||Choice of $500|
|Silver Plus Assure Hospital||All of the above, plus;|
|Choice of $500|
|Gold Hospital||All of the above, plus;||Choice of $500|
|Basic Hospital||All of the above, being treated as a private patient in a public hospital.||Choice of $500|
Other benefits of Westfund Hospital Cover
As well as a range of value for money health policies, Westfund members also enjoy a number of benefits, including:
- Accident Benefit of $200 a night if hospitalised as the result of an accident
- Advanced Surgery Benefit of $400 a night for advanced surgical procedures due to heart disease, stroke or cancer up to $4,800 per hospitalisation (available after two years)
- Accommodation Benefit of $150 a night for accommodation expenses up to $600 a year (available after two years)
- 15% off Cover-More Travel Insurance
- Forced Retrenchment Benefit where premiums are waived for up to six months if you are made redundant (available after three years)
- Protected Industrial Action Benefit where premiums are waived for up to six months because of a union strike (available after three years)
How do the costs work?
Costs that are covered by Westfund (depending on your policy) include ambulance and in-hospital treatment as a private patient in a public hospital and most private hospitals ((restriction applies to psychiatric services).
Costs you may have to pay can include any gap between the fee charged for a treatment or service and the amount reimbursed by Medicare and Westfund.
Waiting periods and limitations
Standard waiting periods that apply to Westfund Hospital cover include:
- One day. Accident-related.
- Two months. Psychiatric, rehabilitation, palliative care and all other services.
- 12 months. Obstetric-related services (single membership must upgrade to family two months prior to expected day of birth) and treatment of pre-existing conditions.
Other standard limitations that apply include maximum amounts payable per service, excesses on some services and exclusions on some services where no benefit will be paid.
How to make a claim
Westfund makes claiming easy, with a range of options including:
- Online. Simply log in to the member area and follow the instructions for claiming.
- Fax or email. Fax completed claim forms and receipts to 02 6352 3408 or email them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mail. Mail completed claim forms and receipts to PO Box 235, Lithgow NSW 2790.