Nothing is impossible with determination, so follow these simple tips to find a leaner, healthier you.
If you want to lose weight but struggling with the motivation, think about about all the benefits of having a leaner, healthier body. Compliments will flow from all your friends and family and you will feel far better for it. The increased energy that comes with weight loss is one of the biggest benefits.
Weight-loss goal-setting tips
1. As the kilos start to disappear you should aim to meet your weekly weight-loss target. Weigh yourself once a week to check to make sure that your weight is really dropping. A target of around one kilo a week is sufficient to lose weight healthily. If you try to lose any more you will most likely be denying your body a balanced diet. As a result, the energy you need for exercising will be lost and you will feel more lethargic.
2. Once you have established how much weight you think you need to lose, draw up a plan of the timeframe it will take to reach your goal. This could be done by recording your weight weekly on a calendar and updating it at regular periods.
3. If you think that the weight isn’t coming off as quickly as you would like, increase your exercise routine.
4. After a month of successful weight loss, reward yourself with food that you have deliberately cut out of your diet.
5. Once you have reached your target weight and you feel healthier and fitter and look better, plan your diet well into the future so that the kilos don’t pile back on again.
Weight-loss mindset tips
The most important part of losing weight is having the determination to do it. Set a target for your weight, earnestly work towards that target and don’t stop until it has been achieved. If your mind has been truly set on this target then your body and mind can work together to achieve your goal.
1. Get your mind focused on your target weight but work out what your correct weight should be first.
2. Check your weight regularly until that goal has been reached. You don’t need to be too ambitious about checking your weight every minute of the day, but you must check it regularly to put your mind at ease that you are losing the weight you intend to lose.
3. If you haven’t met your target for one week, don’t give up. On occasions you may find you have fallen below your target for the week, but that shouldn’t be a deterrent. Instead it will make you more determined to meet the goal next week.
4. If you start to feel demoralised, just remind yourself of the reasons why you started to lose weight in the first place. This will give you renewed energy.
5. When you have reached your target weight, be determined to stay at that weight in the long run as it is far easier than putting the weight back on and losing it all over again.
Weight-loss training tips
1. Exercise for at least 45 minutes daily
In order to lose weight you must burn more calories each day than you consume. A short 20-minute walk is not long enough to achieve any useful weight loss; you’ll need to exercise for a minimum of 45 to 60 minutes at least five days a week.
2. Interval training
This sort of exercise boosts your metabolism so your body will burn more calories. It alternates intensive exercise with less intensive exercise. For example, it could involve sprinting for 30 to 60 seconds then jogging for 60 seconds. This type of sequencing requires your body to work particularly hard.
3. Take up strength training exercises
Don’t assume that cardio is the only type of fitness you need; strength training is equally important.
4. Combine cardio and strength training
The most intensive workouts are when cardio and weightlifting are combined. You will burn twice the amount of calories in half the time and reach your weight goal much faster.
5. Give your body a challenge
In order to keep losing weight you must challenge your fitness level. As you get fitter your workouts must become more intense.
Weight-loss eating tips
Losing weight is not just about exercise—it’s about diet, too. What you have been eating in the first place has already helped to determine what your weight is now. You may have started your diet but you may have to adjust it if you wish to shed the kilos. Here are five great tips for eating well and losing weight.
1. Work out the number of calories you have been consuming that has led to your weight gain. An average person should not be consuming more than 2000 calories a day, as otherwise weight gain will occur.
2. To lose weight effectively you should cut back on 500 calories a day. Combine this with increased exercise levels to ensure the kilos disappear noticeably week by week.
3. When formulating your diet, try to cut out the food that contains the most calories such as cakes, biscuits, bread, fatty cuts of meat, fast food and alcohol. There are plenty of healthy substitutes available.
4. This is the time to work out if your old diet has included sufficient vegetables. Most vegetables have minimum calories. When combined with lean meat, such as chicken or fish with a low-calorie sauce, you can drastically reduce your calorie intake.
5. Eating snacks between meals is a real calorie gainer. Try to eat apples or carrot sticks instead of chips and chocolate. This could well be where you could cut out the calories.
What items can help you lose weight?
Body Science BSC Hydeoxyburn Zotrim 180 Tablets
These tablets help you to meet your weight loss targets faster. Just take two or three before each meal. Your body will burn off fat more efficiently.
BodyScience BODY Lo-Carb Bar Swisse Chocolate 40g
Combining a weight loss programme with a hectic lifestyle is never easy, but these low carb bars allow you to eat something that won’t put the kilos on without feeling guilty.
Rebel: Proform Performance 750 Treadmill
This is a sophisticated treadmill that allows you to complete an incredible workout while relaxing mentally and provides useful tracking information that allows you to shape your weight and fitness training.
Booktopia: Cave Women Don't Get Fat The Paleo Chic Diet for Rapid Results
A light-hearted yet also serious look at alternative diets. The book promotes a protein-rich diet that focuses on increasing fat loss and building muscle tissue.
Wildfire Sports: Blufire Personal Body Fat Monitor and Scale
Handy body scales that compute both your weight and your body fat as a percentage of your overall weight. Uses an accurate bioelectrical impedance analysis.
Amino Z: Horleys Meal Plan
This is a whole meal replacement source which is particularly rich in protein. It can be used as part of a weight-control program without reducing your energy needs.
OnSport: BodyScience Shaping Protein Banana Smoothie 400g
This is an easily adaptable protein-rich supplement that helps the busy person replenish their body after a workout without compromising on calories.
Rebel: Nike Speed Skipping Rope Black/Orange
The Nike Speed Skipping Rope is a coated polyurethane rope that does not tangle and provides a smooth swinging motion for you to skip. Skipping is a great way to exercise as part of a weight-loss program.
Booktopia: The Metabolic Clock Essential Cookbook
A great book to help you work out when and what to eat while losing weight or maintaining the weight that you think is desirable. The recipes in this book help to increase metabolism and improve your overall health.
Best online retailers to help you lose weight
Losing weight has become a particular concern to us as our lives have become far more sedentary in recent decades. Weight gain has accelerated, leaving health problems in its wake. With a bit of careful thought and planning most of us can escape that weight-gain cycle and shed the kilos, improve our health and appearance and be overall happier. There are many products on the market to help us to reach those goals, including inspirational books, recipe books, low-calorie foods without sugar and fat and a whole array of exercise aids such as skipping ropes, treadmills and exercise bicycles.