Weekend sees highest auction clearance rate of the year
In spite of talk of a cooling housing market, auctions remain red hot.
While volumes remain lower than the same time last year, clearance rates around the country are soaring, the Australian has reported. The weekend auction clearance rate hit 80.2% of the 2,641 properties to go under the hammer, the highest clearance rate of the year. The same weekend last year saw a 64.9% clearance rate of 3,143 properties, the Australian said.
Sydney had the nation’s highest clearance rate at 85.6%. The result was a significant rise on the 61.3% recorded for the corresponding weekend last year, though the number of properties on offer dropped from 913 to 866.
Melbourne saw the second-highest clearance rate at 81.8%.
“It was certainly the busiest weekend in Melbourne since the beginning of May,” CoreLogic director Kevin Brogan told the Australian.
Clearance rates across the rest of the country varied. While Adelaide and Canberra saw high clearance rates of 77.4% and 74.4%, respectively, Perth cleared only 46.2% of the properties up for auction. Brisbane, meanwhile, recorded a 53.4% clearance rate.
- 76% of bank’s customers ahead on home loans shows it’s easier than you think
- Boom or bubble: What the next 24 months will look like for the Australian property market
- Sydney property boom: Buy now before prices soar?
- Will anything stop Australia’s property prices booming?
- CommBank 0.99% Green Loan: Can you get it?