Having the right wedding song adds to a wonderful wedding day. Our guide to compiling the right wedding playlist is specifically made to lighten your load.
When planning your wedding, you are bombarded with so many things that you need to choose and determine and one of the most crucial decisions you will have to make is your wedding song list. Wedding songs have been an integral part of weddings since the early days, which can be traced back as early as the 16th Century.
Current offers and deals
The wedding songs you choose set your wedding's overall mood and can affect how different parts of the day will go.
This is why it is very important that you take your time in deciding the music as it involves several decisions. If you are going for a more traditional wedding, then you might prefer to go for more traditional wedding songs. Meanwhile, if your wedding is more contemporary, then your choice of songs is wider and can range from the latest music to more classical pieces.
Choosing your own song list gives you the chance to go with your favourite songs and adds a personal touch into the choice. However, you can always consult professionals to help you out. As you set down this road, it is important to keep in mind that your wedding song list will determine the type of celebration you will have. For instance, upbeat songs have a way to lift the moods of your guest and will ensure that everyone has a memorable time. At the end of the day, remember that your choices should reflect your and your partner’s preferences without influence from any other factors.
How to choose the best wedding songs
Choosing the right wedding songs can be a daunting task and once you start looking at the options you have to choose from, you might even get overwhelmed. The following tips will help you choose the right wedding songs for your special day.
- Decide between a DJ, a band, or a selection of music from your ipod. The first step to knowing the type of music you are going to play at the wedding is to decide whether you prefer a live band or a DJ. This will help you know which direction to take and eventually, narrow down your options.
- Theme of the wedding. Your wedding theme will guide you in choosing the perfect songs – a more traditional wedding will go with more traditional songs while a more modern wedding can have contemporary music. It is also important to consider where you are hosting the wedding as some venues come with their own set of rules or even provide music for the occasion. For instance, if you are having a church wedding, the church may provide the organist who can be in charge of the processional music.
The entire wedding ceremony can be divided into several sections which are all different in the role they play. Each of these sections require various wedding songs to bring out the meaning and set the mood just right.
- The procession. This is the walk down the aisle and is subdivided into the bridesmaids’ walk and the bride’s entrance. You will need to choose two different songs for each, with the option of going for the classic "Here Comes the Bride", which the organist can play.
- The recession. This will mark your exit together with your partner after exchanging your vows. It calls for a joyful upbeat song to commemorate the occasion.
- Cocktail hour. In case you have a cocktail hour for your guests, you will have to choose appropriate music that is lively and calming. This will set the mood that will keep your guests entertained.
- Reception entrance. This will be your entrance to your reception as a married couple with your wedding party in tow and. It calls for something joyful, which would set the mood for the whole reception. If you would prefer to have your wedding party enter before you, then it is important to choose two songs for each party.
- The first dance. This is a very crucial part of the reception and requires the perfect song. It is also the chance to play your song as a couple. If you do not have any special songs, there are a great selection of first dance songs.
- Father-daughter dance.This comes after the couple’s first dance and can be marked by a more traditional or personal song.
- Reception music. The reception takes the biggest part of the evening and will leave a mark on your guests and the whole ceremony, which is why choosing the right music for this part is important. The songs will set the mood of the entire evening, so it is advisable to go mix slow and fast-paced songs that blend into the background. You can give your DJ the chance to choose most of the songs - just don’t forget to voice your preferences.
- Cake cutting. A special upbeat song is perfect for this fun sweet part of the reception. If you have any special songs that didn’t make the first dance, then they can be incorporated into this part of the evening.
- Bouquet tossing. This is a fun part of the reception that is supposed to engage the singles in the crowd. It should be accompanied with a fun romantic song.
The ultimate wedding song list
We have compiled a list of some of the top wedding songs to help you choose the best songs for your special day.
Tips to saving money on wedding songs
Choosing wedding songs is not only a hard job – it can also turn out to be quite expensive. However, by following our tips and suggestions, you can still have exactly what you have always dreamed of and save some dollars.
- Go with a smaller band. Although it is not always the case, a smaller band can be cheaper than one with more members. You might even find that a one-man show can do the work of five people.
- Be your own DJ. If you have decided to go for a DJ and know the music you would like played at your wedding, then you can decide to do the work yourself. All you need to do is create a playlist on your iPod and then a friend can be in-charge of overseeing the music during the ceremony.
- Beware of overtime. Most bands and DJs charge an extra fee for any extra time they may spend at a wedding and this can be higher than their normal rate. To avoid these steep charges, add an extra hour to your plans to give you some leeway.
When it comes down to choosing between a DJ and a band, it is important to remember that in most cases a DJ will be relatively cheaper than a band. Moreover, a DJ may also provide emcee services.
Why search for wedding songs at finder.com.au?
Choosing your wedding songs is such an important task, which is why you should trust finder.com.au to help you out. Here are just a few of the reasons why we pride ourselves in being the solution to your problem.
- Convenience. Planning a wedding is one of the most hectic tasks anyone can do and it can take months to get everything you want. We have your work easier by bringing the choices of wedding songs close to you. We also remove the need to physically look for the band or DJ you need for your big day, thanks to our vast selection of online retailers.
- Affordable prices. You no longer have to worry about your budget as we provide you with affordable ways to get the songs you need at great prices. Just use our promo codes and special discounts.
- Top retailers. You can rest assured that our selection of top retailers, Artist Guitars, for instance, are the best in their field and they will provide you with only the best quality service to make your wedding even more special.
Choosing your wedding songs is both enjoyable and tedious. Whether the song is for the procession or your reception, it requires a lot of consideration. With our detailed guide, we hope to help you find the perfect songs to make your wedding a dream come true.