VPS web hosting
VPS hosting can be an affordable alternative to managing your own dedicated server, making it a great option for small- to medium-sized businesses.
If you want more security than you can get with shared hosting, but don’t yet have the traffic or budget to make dedicated hosting necessary, VPS hosting might be the perfect middle ground for you.
What is VPS hosting?
Like shared hosting, VPS hosting gives you allocated resources on a shared server. Unlike shared hosting, VPS hosting will give you private space for a virtual server within this shared server. This means you won’t have many of the problems and inconveniences that can come along with shared hosting, such as neighboring sites eating up all your resources and making your website lag.
VPS hosting gives you many of the resources of a dedicated server for a much lower cost. If you have a business or website that is too large for a shared server but not yet large enough to require its own dedicated server, you might want to consider VPS hosting.
Compare VPS web hosting plans for 2020
How it works
VPS hosts, or Virtual Private Servers give your site private and dedicated space on a virtual server within a shared system. By dividing a server into these virtual private servers, VPS hosting can help you avoid the pitfalls of shared hosting. The resources of your VPS will be allocated to you and you alone, so you will not be negatively affected by other users or sites on your shared server.
VPS hosting can also give you more control of your website and more resources, such as increased CPU capacity, storage and memory than shared hosting. This makes it a great option for sites that have outgrown the limitations of shared hosting.
Depending on your web hosting service, you can use a variety of content management systems to create your VPS-hosted website, including WordPress, Joomla and Drupal.
Keep in mind, some degree of technical knowledge and experience is required to maintain a VPS-hosted site. If you do not know how to maintain the server on your own you might need to hire someone to do so.
Linux vs Windows
Linux and Windows are the two possible operating systems for your VPS server. So you might be asking yourself, which is better? It depends on how you plan on using your VPS server.
- Linux is a free and open source operating system, and the most popular choice for most servers.
- Windows has been developed entirely by Microsoft, and can be useful if you specifically want to run Microsoft technologies.
If you are new to the world of web hosting, Linux should be able to provide everything you need from an operating system. If you want to run Microsoft software you might want to go with a Windows server.
How much does VPS hosting cost?
The cost of VPS hosting sits somewhere between shared hosting and dedicated hosting. While your overall costs will depend on the web host, plans generally start around $15 to $20 per month and can go upwards of $100. If you are spending hundreds every month on VPS hosting, you might want to consider what you can get from a dedicated host for a similar cost.
Benefits of VPS hosting
- Resources. VPS hosting will give you allocated CPU, RAM and storage on your virtual server which will be available only to you.
- Stability. With VPS hosting you will not be affected by other users like you would with shared hosting and as a result you will experience less downtime and interruptions.
- Control. You can have root access to servers with VPS hosting, which will give you the ability to run custom apps, plugins and scripts and fully customise your website.
- Security. Your VPS server is private, so no other websites or users can access your data or files. With VPS hosting you can also have a unique IP address, which can give your website more security.
- Affordability. VPS can be significantly cheaper than dedicated hosting, while giving you many of the benefits that a dedicated server would. Also, most VPS plans can be tailored to suit your needs so you will not have to pay for features that you do not want or need.
- Scalability. It is easy to scale your plan up if your website grows with most VPS hosts. This means you can focus on increasing traffic and growing your business without having to worry about overusing your server resources.
What kind of user would benefit most from VPS hosting?
VPS hosting can be the perfect medium between shared hosting and dedicated hosting. VPS hosting can be particularly useful for :
- Small- to medium-sized businesses
- Users who want more security than shared hosting offers
- Websites that may grow and need to scale up their existing resources
- Those with the technical experience required to run a server
- Businesses that do not have the budget or resources to require a dedicated server
Disadvantages of VPS hosting
- Technical experience required. Some degree of experience will be required to maintain your VPS website. If you do not know how to manage a server you may have to hire a specialist at an additional cost.
- Cost. Though VPS hosting is cheaper than dedicated hosting, it is usually much more expensive than shared hosting. If your business or blog does not require the features and resources of a private server you might want to consider shared hosting.
- Security. Relative to shared hosting VPS hosting offers you more security and privacy, but your VPS-hosted site will still be less secure than a dedicated server. If your website or business stores sensitive or private material you may want to consider using dedicated hosting for the highest level of security possible.
How to setup VPS hosting
- Choose a web host and sign up for a plan. With VPS hosting you should have the ability to tailor your plan to suit your specific needs. Make sure to look at the features each web host offers, and their options for scaling up if your website or business grows.
Features to consider may include:
- Storage device. You may be able to choose between a solid-state drive (SSD) and a hard disk drive (HDD).
- Operating system. Would you prefer to use Linux or Windows? Your web host should be able to help you setup your VPS server with Linux or Windows, although some may only offer one option.
- CMS and control panel. Most web hosts offer WordPress as a content management system (CMS). You may be able to use another CMS such as Joomla, Drupal or Moodle.
- Managed vs unmanaged. Some hosts offer managed plans, at an additional cost, to help you with your server’s maintenance and administration. If you have limited technical experience you may want to consider a managed plan.
- Resources. Consider the amount of RAM, CPU and disk space you will be getting with each plan, and make sure you choose a plan that will provide enough resources for your site.
- Register your domain name. If you already have a domain name, you will need to contact your registrar to update your domain name system. If you do not yet have one, you should be able to register your domain name with your web hosting provider.
- Design your website. This is the fun part! Use your preferred CMS or control panel to create the website of your dreams. Because you have chosen VPS hosting, you will be able to customise almost everything about your website, depending on your plan.
- Maintain your server. Make sure to perform regular updates on all software and backup your data as often as you can.
Frequently asked questions on VPS web hosting
Read more on this topic
WP Engine web hosting WP Engine offers individuals and businesses a range of WordPress hosting plans that you can tailor to your specific needs.
Namecheap web hosting Namecheap provides a variety of web hosting options for websites of all sizes.
Crazy Domains web hosting Crazy Domains provides customisable web hosting options suitable for small web projects, medium-sized businesses and everything in between.
1&1 IONOS web hosting 1&1 IONOS offers a wide range of web hosting services suitable for a variety of website needs.
How to find the best SSL certificate to secure your site SSL certificates can increase your Google search ranking and help your company make more money.
SiteGround web hosting WordPress-recommended web host SiteGround houses servers in Singapore to provide faster loading times to Australian sites.
Dedicated web hosting Learn how your website can get the highest level of security possible with dedicated web hosting.
GoDaddy web hosting With competitive prices and more than 40 web hosting plans to choose from, GoDaddy has your next site covered.
Yahoo web hosting Yahoo offers a well-rounded package of web hosting essentials and useful tools, together with the backing of its extensive web and marketing resources.
InMotion web hosting InMotion offers free SSL certificates, so you can make your website as secure as possible.