Wearable review methodology
Here's how we break down the scores for our smartwatch and fitness tracker reviews.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Here at Finder, we rigorously test the smartwatches and fitness trackers we review to determine scores for design, performance and battery life as well as an overall score. Our reviewers rate each category out of five, with zero being the lowest possible score.
This is how we break down each score:
To determine the design score, we consider the following:
- Functionality. Is the design functional? Does it make the device easier or harder to use?
- Aesthetics. How does the product look? Is it available in multiple colours and designs?
- Materials. What is it made out of? Does it feel cheap or high-quality?
- Comfort. How does it feel? How big and heavy is it? Does it come in multiple sizes to suit different people?
- Display. Is there a touch display? How big is it? Is it easy to read in all lighting conditions?
- Durability. Does it have a waterproof rating? Is it dustproof and sweatproof?
- Set-up. What's included in the box? How easy is it to set up?
To determine the performance score, we consider the following:
- Features. What features are included? Do the features perform as promised?
- Virtual assistant. Does the device include a virtual assistant? How effectively does the microphone pick up voice commands?
- Device support. What operating system does the device use? Is it only compatible with certain phones?
- Corresponding app. What can you do with the corresponding app? How easy is it to use?
- Additional app support. If the device supports additional apps, is there a robust marketplace? Do the apps add functionality to the device that is otherwise not available?
- Tracking accuracy. Is the tracking information comprehensive, accurate and reliable?
To determine the battery score, we consider the following:
- Battery life. How long does the battery last? Does the battery life live up to the manufacturer's promise?
- Charging method. Does it use a micro USB, USB-C, lightning cable or proprietary charger? Is wireless charging available?
- Charging time. How long does it take to charge fully?
The overall score is not an average of the other scores. To determine the overall score, the reviewer considers the ratings for design, performance and battery life as well as the price and how it compares to other available wearables. For example, we may give a smartwatch high scores for design, performance and battery life, but a low overall rating if it has an exorbitant price.
When coming up with the overall score, we consider the following:
- Our overall impression of the product
- Value for money
- Battery life
- How it compares to the rest of the market
Our scores reflect the value we give each device. However, there's a level of subjectivity to each review. If you've had a different experience with a device, we'd love to hear from you.
After we review a wearable, subsequent software updates may affect the performance of the device. We aim to reflect these updates in our reviews where possible.
More technology articles
The mega entertainment retailer has just announced a range of buy now pay later options, including Afterpay and Zip.Read more…
Lenvovo’s ThinkVision T24i-20 is a business-first monitor with a rotating display and just a few key extra features.Read more…
Here are three reasons to buy the Amazon Fire TV Stick Lite if you haven't already.Read more…
More guides on Finder
Best cordless and electric screwdrivers in Australia
From the top model to the best small cordless screwdriver, these are the four best cordless and electric screwdrivers you can get in Australia right now.
Best screwdriver sets in Australia
From the best-insulated kit to the top mini model, these are the seven best screwdriver sets available online.
Best tape measures in Australia
These are the seven best tape measures you can purchase right now in Australia.
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: 56% off Apple iPhone Xs Max, 60% off Sketchers sneakers, huge Blu-ray movie clearance.
Best multi tools in Australia
If you’re looking for a versatile tool to tackle a wide range of odd jobs around the house, we’ll help you find the best multi tool for your needs.
Oppo Find X3 Pro Review: Cute microscope, but a phone with lots of catches
The Oppo Find X3 Pro tries a lot of new tricks to entice buyers, which leads to an intriguing, but sometimes frustrating premium handset experience.
Best circular saws in Australia
If you’re searching for the best circular saw, we’ve found the right saws for your needs.
AMD RX 6700 XT review
The Radeon RX 6700 XT is a powerful 1440p graphics card that bridges the gap between Nvidia's RTX 3060 Ti and RTX 3070.
We'll show you how to compare mascara brands and products to get the lashes you’ve been dreaming of.
Jura E8 review
The new 2021 Jura E8 has an upgraded grinder, automatic milk cleaning feature and can make your favourite drinks using voice commands.
Ask an Expert