There's some smart, if not exactly new technology, in the Facebook Ray-Ban Stories sunglasses. It's great that they're stylish and can be made in prescription form, but they're also a novelty and very much a first-generation product, presuming you can get past Facebook privacy concerns in the first place.Read more…
Wearable review methodology
Here's how we break down the scores for our smartwatch and fitness tracker reviews.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Here at Finder, we rigorously test the smartwatches and fitness trackers we review to determine scores for design, performance and battery life as well as an overall score. Our reviewers rate each category out of five, with zero being the lowest possible score.
This is how we break down each score:
To determine the design score, we consider the following:
- Functionality. Is the design functional? Does it make the device easier or harder to use?
- Aesthetics. How does the product look? Is it available in multiple colours and designs?
- Materials. What is it made out of? Does it feel cheap or high-quality?
- Comfort. How does it feel? How big and heavy is it? Does it come in multiple sizes to suit different people?
- Display. Is there a touch display? How big is it? Is it easy to read in all lighting conditions?
- Durability. Does it have a waterproof rating? Is it dustproof and sweatproof?
- Set-up. What's included in the box? How easy is it to set up?
To determine the performance score, we consider the following:
- Features. What features are included? Do the features perform as promised?
- Virtual assistant. Does the device include a virtual assistant? How effectively does the microphone pick up voice commands?
- Device support. What operating system does the device use? Is it only compatible with certain phones?
- Corresponding app. What can you do with the corresponding app? How easy is it to use?
- Additional app support. If the device supports additional apps, is there a robust marketplace? Do the apps add functionality to the device that is otherwise not available?
- Tracking accuracy. Is the tracking information comprehensive, accurate and reliable?
To determine the battery score, we consider the following:
- Battery life. How long does the battery last? Does the battery life live up to the manufacturer's promise?
- Charging method. Does it use a micro USB, USB-C, lightning cable or proprietary charger? Is wireless charging available?
- Charging time. How long does it take to charge fully?
The overall score is not an average of the other scores. To determine the overall score, the reviewer considers the ratings for design, performance and battery life as well as the price and how it compares to other available wearables. For example, we may give a smartwatch high scores for design, performance and battery life, but a low overall rating if it has an exorbitant price.
When coming up with the overall score, we consider the following:
- Our overall impression of the product
- Value for money
- Battery life
- How it compares to the rest of the market
Our scores reflect the value we give each device. However, there's a level of subjectivity to each review. If you've had a different experience with a device, we'd love to hear from you.
After we review a wearable, subsequent software updates may affect the performance of the device. We aim to reflect these updates in our reviews where possible.
More technology articles
More guides on Finder
If you’re looking for home insurance for an apartment, here’s the ultimate guide to finding comprehensive and affordable cover.
Best cookware in Australia
We’ve read hundreds of reviews to find the nine best cookware products available right now in Australia.
Best freezers in Australia
These are the seven best freezers you can get right now in Australia.
iPad Mini review: Good things come in small packages
The iPad Mini 6 is a fantastic modern tablet upgrade. But if you want a workhorse, you'll want to look elsewhere in Apple's range.
Australian sale events in 2021
Plan your shopping sprees ahead of time with our run-down of the biggest Australian online shopping events of 2021 and beyond.
Best pasta makers in Australia
We compared hundreds of customer reviews to find the 6 best pasta makers available online.
Best turntables in Australia
We examined customer reviews and ratings to find the 8 best turntables available online.
Motorola Edge 20 Fusion review: A great fusion of phone features
The Edge 20 Fusion isn't Motorola's fanciest phone, but it gets so many of the basics right that it's an easy recommendation for those seeking value.
2021 Koala Mattress review: OG vs Calm As vs Soul Mate
You can get 15% off the New, Calm As or Soul Mate Koala mattresses for a limited time; here's how to get the deal.
Facebook Ray-Ban Stories review: Smarter sunnies, but not quite smart enough
There's some smart, if not exactly new technology, in the Facebook Ray-Ban Stories sunglasses. It's great that they're stylish and can be made in prescription form, but they're also a novelty and very much a first-generation product, presuming you can get past Facebook privacy concerns in the first place.
Ask an Expert