Where to watch the 2019 Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras online
Can’t be there? Celebrate 41 years of pride and protest with a glitter-filled live stream of the 2019 Mardi Gras parade.
Last year's Mardi Gras was one of the biggest yet with the iconic popstar Cher headlining the afterparty on the festival's 40th anniversary. Whatever is in store this year, it's bound to be a sparkling procession of over 200 groups and jaw-dropping floats showcasing the best the community has to offer.
If you can't attend the festivity, watching it live is the next best thing, as SBS brings viewers a special broadcast of the event. A live stream of the parade will be available on the SBS website, marking an epic year for the LGBTIQ+ community.
Sydney Mardi Gras Parade start times and dates
The Sydney Mardi Gras parade stream will kick off Saturday 2 March 2019. Here's what time you should tune in depending on where you're located:
- Sydney, Melbourne, Canberra and Hobart: 7:25pm AEDT
- Perth: 4:25pm AWST
- Darwin: 6pm ACST
- Brisbane: 6:30pm AEST
- Adelaide: 7pm ACDT
- New Zealand: 9:30pm NZDT
What can we expect this year?
The Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras is an annual LGBTQI pride parade and festival, one of the largest such festivals in the world. This year’s event marks the 41st anniversary for the flamboyant gathering, which has been held annually since 1978.
The Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras festival runs from Friday 15 February 2019 to Sunday 3 March 2019 and closes with the famous Sydney Mardi Gras Parade – an LGBTQI rights protest and celebration of sexuality. Another major festival highlight is the post-parade Mardi Gras party.
While there are still more special guests to be announced, Jake Shears (Scissor Sisters), Courtney Act, Briefs, HANDSOME and Paul Capsis will be performing on the night of the afterparty. All up, there are 10 shows, 20 DJs and 5 separate dance spaces planned for the afterparty. Over 12,000 attendees will dance until dawn in a triumph of light, energy, love and acceptance. Tickets are likely to sell incredibly fast once the full line-up is announced so if you're thinking of heading along for the event, get in quick. Otherwise, you can throw your own Mardi Gras party and stream the parade from home.
To get yourself pumped for this year's celebration, why not revisit last year's celebration?
- Can you watch Disney+ on Telstra TV?
- Watch UFC on ESPN: Alistair Overeem vs Jairzinho Rozenstruik live and free
- How to watch Anthony Joshua vs Andy Ruiz Jr 2 boxing fight live
- How to watch Brisbane Heat vs Melbourne Renegades WBBL semi-final
- How to watch Adelaide Strikers vs Perth Scorchers WBBL semi-final live and free
- Tyro Payments soars 29% on first day of ASX listing
- Flights of the Week: Europe, Australia and the USA
- Fabulously furnish your first apartment for under $2,000
- Cebu Pacific flight review: Sydney to Cebu (via Manila)
- Qatar’s flight sale is whisking you away to Europe from $999