WA mask rules: Where do I still need to wear a mask? (November 2022)
Here is all the up-to-date information on WA mask rules, and protocol to follow when you take a rapid antigen test (RAT).Edit product set
Although Western Australia was the last Australian state to maintain its pursuit of a COVID zero policy, the transmissibility of the Omicron variant ultimately made it impossible. Now, new subvariants are likely to lead to a surge in cases.
Mask rules in WA
Wearing a mask in Western Australia is recommended in the following settings:
- In crowded indoor spaces where physical distancing is not possible
Buy masks in WA
Different types of masks
Of the three main types of protective face masks, surgical masks and cloth masks are no longer favoured by experts. Surgical masks are single-use and are often bought in bulk quantities, while cloth masks can be washed and reused, and can even be made DIY.
Most experts now believe that N95, KN95 and P2 masks are far better options to protect yourself and your community from the extremely transmissible Omicron variant. All 3 mask styles are similar, forming a tight seal and filtering out 94–95% of particles.
RAT rules in WA
In Western Australia, rapid antigen tests are recommended for use if:
- Attending a large gathering in a crowded place such as a wedding or funeral
- Visiting a person who is vulnerable to risks of COVID-19
- Visiting a high-risk setting, e.g. an aged care facility, hospital or disability group home
- You need to check quickly for COVID-19
- Recommended by the Department of Health
If you test positive on a RAT, you must register your result online here.
Buy RATs in WAEdit top picks
- Use code: HEALTH20 at checkout for 20% off RATs
- Same day order processing
- Nation-wide shipping, from Sydney
- Accepts Apple Pay
- Buy 1, get 1 Free
- Ships nationwide
- Fast Results in 15 Minutes & ARTG approved
- Free shipping over $100
- Accurate detection with high sensitivity and specificity
- Convenient self-testing
- Reliable and fast results in 15 minutes
- Free shipping over $140
- Offers Afterpay
- Accepts Apple Pay
- Accepts PayPal
- TGA approved
- Very high sensitivity: sensitivity of 95.1%; specificity of 100%
- Convenient at-home self-testing kit
- Results in 15 – 20 mins
- Easy to use and easy to read results
How to use a RAT kit
Unsure as to how RAT kits work or need a refresher? NSW Health has produced this helpful, generic video. Keep in mind that instructions will be different from brand to brand.